Worklog N64MINI build

what should i paint the case when i get to that part?

• Total voters
Before i start, i'd like to introduce myself. im new to the site, was formally known as Smeagle from multiple forums. after taking a break for what seems to be around a year now i decided to start modding again. I was recently commissioned to build an N64 Mini. so today i started working on the MOBO, i was able to do a 90 degree bend around the cart slot also rewiring it, doing a basic trim since cutting within the board was unnecessary. also had a ti reg so went ahead and soldered it on. so far so good. i went ahead and ordered some ABS plastic sheet(s) (might have to order more) once i get it in the mail ill start working on the case (so far i've just cut the top shell. my case making skills are garbage so hopefully ill get to improve that on this project.

Attachments

Looks good so far! Are you incorporating the original N64 shell at all?

Also, welcome to the forums!
thanks! that's the thing, i honestly don't want to, so i might just talk to the guy and see if i can order a polycase. like the sl-68? im not sure if the controller ports would fit, but they probably could. that way i can have it done A LOT sooner and make it way smaller. i honestly think these kind of cases look better than the traditional 64 minis.

quick update: so im going to be ordering an sl-68 case, maybe a slightly smaller version if i check the dimensions right for this project. since everyone's been talking about the ED64 clone lately i think im going to try one out myself for this project. ill have some photos uploaded soon, on the board as im going to be revisiting it later today.

so i was pulling some stuff off my board so i could trim if down some more. thing is, i somehow managed to accidentally pop one of the caps on the bottom left of the board. next to the switch. there were two caps like it that i tried popping off to put in its place and managed to screw that up too..anything i can do to fix it?

Attachments

Noah

retired
Portables
I have never tried removing them before so I wouldn't know. I think that as long as you're getting the 2.54V required for the RAM's voltage you should be fine.

well im doing what i can to have everything prepped and ready to test..i suppose i won't know until i find out. i hope things work fine.

so i tested it. no video/audio signal, however, the board receives power just fine so ill try out the 2k resister fix and see if that's the solution. i removed the u8 chip when cutting it again

Noah

retired
Portables
I find only revision 5 and below require the resistor. Might be different with PAL boards though. It seems that the revision 2 PAL board is a revision 8/9 NTSC board.

Last edited:
You could always try ordering replacement caps.
YO GOT IT WORKING AGAIN! idk which exactly fixed it, i found a slightly dented cap that had both pins so i wired it back and also tried the 2k pull up fix and its booting. sound and everything. ill get some pics up soon.

i couldn't believe it would stop working on me just like that. had to figure out a solution :D

Awesome! Glad to hear it!
you were right about the fix, so i guess high rev ntsc boards dont need a 2k pull up resistor when removing the u8 chip, it was the cap that it needed. i've trimmed this board as small as i can without running into any errors or having to heavily relocate anything. if you can figure out how to relocate the bottom caps and what looks like a regulator than you should be able to get this thing really small.

here's the board, trimmed and wired up, all i have to wire back up is the controller ports, a power switch and reset button. im gonna use a different power jack, as well as solder an ED64 instead of the cart slot and open up an expansion pak. i was able to find enough copper heatsinks to toss on the chips. all i really need is the ED64 which ill probably order along with the SL-68 case.
Photo on 8-7-16 at 12.03 PM.jpg
Photo on 8-7-16 at 12.19 PM #2.jpg

Noah

retired
Portables
. if you can figure out how to relocate the bottom caps and what looks like a regulator than you should be able to get this thing really small.
It's been done before. The one problem is you have to hardwire the expansion pack in or get a lower revision, perform a RAM swap and then wire in the jumpers from a jumper pak. If you don't go all out, it's not worth the effort.

ohh. well then that shouldnt be too much of a problem for you. i'd love to see the results!
as far as this is going i wont be making more progress until my case and the ed64 board is ordered. gonna work on that wii board i got for the mean time.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Looks awesome! I'm excited for the final product!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Nice bend! Looks like you've got a solid start on that rewiring too!