Worklog N64MINI build

what should i paint the case when i get to that part?

• Total voters
Nice bend! Looks like you've got a solid start on that rewiring too!
Thanks I'm liking how things look so far. Gonna grab some tweezers on my way home today to finish the wiring on that thing. And I'm glad you say that, the last time I tried a cart slot bend It came out at an angle so it was crooked and looked terrible lol. My only problem is keeping it at a full 90 degrees it's always a little off but oh well.

Its official. I'm a curse I got proper voltages for 12v and 3.3v along with the traces that have to be reconnected on the cart slot. The front tracers on the board were done with 34 awg magnet wire, but still makes continuity. Have a 2k resistor added to pif8 and 3.3v one thing I'm not sure is normal is the heat between rcp and the CPU
Rcp is like half as hot as CPU which is hot to the touch.
20190820_191957.jpg
20190820_191945.jpg
20190820_191846.jpg
20190820_192021.jpg

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Despite the continuity, try thicker wire for the cart slot voltages/grounds.

As far as next tests, I would hook up audio and see if you get any sound to come out. Seems like a long shot, but if that works then it narrows down what you need to work on.

As far as next tests, I would hook up audio and see if you get any sound to come out. Seems like a long shot, but if that works then it narrows down what you need to work on.
I can redo the cart slot wiring at some point. But I might get a desoldering iron so I can remove the remains of the legs that were kept in the vias. But that's gonna suck, I only did it this way cause I've seen it work for gmans n64s. I have some 26awg wire I can use.

Noah

retired
Portables
I would agree with fibbef here. I've done a cart slot relocation over 30 gauge with no issue, but the board wasn't bent. So I would probably run some thicker wire to the 3V3 and GND lines since any continuity on the back was cut. Wiring looks good though!

I would agree with fibbef here. I've done a cart slot relocation over 30 gauge with no issue, but the board wasn't bent. So I would probably run some thicker wire to the 3V3 and GND lines since any continuity on the back was cut. Wiring looks good though!
I'll go ahead and do that when I get around to doing some soldering. I can even replace those wires completely

I'm considering on just redoing the whole relocation. If I used 26awg would 3 in be reasonable? I was thinking of seeing if I could have the motherboard sit on the cartridges. However it could probably be done the way it is? Either way I'm gonna test the gnd and 3.3v leads with 26awg wire.
20190822_220833.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm considering on just redoing the whole relocation. If I used 26awg would 3 in be reasonable? I was thinking of seeing if I could have the motherboard sit on the cartridges. However it could probably be done the way it is? Either way I'm gonna test the gnd and 3.3v leads with 26awg wire.View attachment 9364
26 AWG will be fine to power the cart slot.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
iirc, it's not until about 6-7in in which you start having trouble as far as wire length on the cart slot goes. That being said... shorter is always better. 3in would be fine.

so id just like to say that you were right. i redid the whole cart slot relocation, I was shooting to have the wire out 3in long, but I'm a little clumsy and had to shorten the wire along the way so its around 2-2.5in lol
anyway, its working, does anyone know what capacitor was used on the video line? i was thinking of replacing it (ill add a few pics of this board when i get a chance)
i also swapped the chips on my old paper mario cartridge onto a japanese pokemon stadium gold/silver and thats working again!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
so id just like to say that you were right. i redid the whole cart slot relocation, I was shooting to have the wire out 3in long, but I'm a little clumsy and had to shorten the wire along the way so its around 2-2.5in lol
anyway, its working, does anyone know what capacitor was used on the video line? i was thinking of replacing it (ill add a few pics of this board when i get a chance)
i also swapped the chips on my old paper mario cartridge onto a japanese pokemon stadium gold/silver and thats working again!
If you're asking about the big round silver caps, a 6v 220uf electrolytic capacitor will do the job.