Worklog N64HH - N64 Portable

Portables
Something must be wrong with the ED64, wouldn’t work until I rewired to cart slot

Attachments

Last edited:

E64

Portables
Something must be wrong with the ED64, wouldn’t work until I rewired to cart slot
Did you test it after you trimmed it
And the traces that was cut off does it go to anything on the other side of the board?

Portables
Did you test it after you trimmed it
And the traces that was cut off does it go to anything on the other side of the board?
I did test it after it was trimmed and it worked, it quit working after I wired it to the n64 board. Desoldered it and it doesn’t work in a normal n64 anymore either

E64

Portables
Check your resistors/capacitor for short one of them might have went out

Portables
ED64Plus does not work on trimmed N64, I tried a whole other board, same result, all carts work, ED64Plus doesn't work. I have begun designing one that uses OG carts, It is coming along ok in CAD, I only had to make it ~6mm thicker, take a peep
Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 10.59.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 10.59.41 AM.png

Portables
That is unbelievably sexy!!! Have you done any kind of thermal stress testing to ensure the cooling is good?
So the blower fan has a metal housing, it has a thermal pad, it should keep the ram chips cool enough
The RCP and CPU will be connected by a thin copper plate, there will be one heat sink on top of the RCP, so the blower Dan should keep that cool as well

Portables
I have been working hard on improving this portable design! I am making the design simpler, passive cooling setup (no noisy fan), much better R and Z buttons, using a more readily available pd charger board, and a custom board to control screen and volume from button combinations. Here are some of my latest CAD models, more ideas are welcome!
Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 2.35.57 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 2.36.04 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 2.36.10 PM.jpg

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love this type of look and design.
Makes me feel to pick it up and play anytime I see it haha

Portables
Did you end up leaving the expansion pack port on your build? I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt the Akira method or not to put on the jumper pack.

Portables
Did you end up leaving the expansion pack port on your build? I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt the Akira method or not to put on the jumper pack.
My build does keep the expansion pack, just cut down a jumper pack. I do think the akira method would be a much cleaner and give you more room on the inside. I would only use the akira if you have the flex pcb or if you’re just really clean at doing it, for reliability reasons.

Pacal

Portables
RDP 64
why don't you try my method? it's almost the same as akira the only difference is that i dont remove anything from the expansion pack, i only cut the board and i sand it to make it smaller you can see it here

This is so beautiful it’s convinced me to clean up my portable and get to work on it right now LOL

thank you for the inspiration :) keep up the great work!