Discussion N64 Noob Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo 64' started by Matthew, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShockSlayer Ivan - the tyranny of evil men . .

Portables:
    All
    The original idea behind the diagram was to provide a safe way for people to wire their portables. It's no more outdated than the DPDT switch it calls for - the fact of the matter is that in current portablizing, there is no new, catch-all solution that 13 year old kids can understand how to handle outright.

If you read the forums for 5 minutes, you're likely to run into the main reason behind taking the safe approach. Threads like "are these batteries okay" where people are trying to buy the classic "seems legit" 1400000mAh AAs and other retards asking if they really need a PROTECTION CIRCUIT.

I've been around long enough to see other people's portables blow up, batteries catch fire...I've seen people step on soldering irons, use kapton tape as a heatsink, put random voltage into components for "science"...etc. The point is that there is a learning curve to get over: long before people can pull off a single port charge and play, they need to understand more basic things, like when and where the voltage goes.

You really can't compare modern electronics designed by actual engineers to portables designed by apes with no actual knowledge, and you shouldn't discredit a safer approach unless you're ready to accept responsibility for the impending/potential doom(and not the sexy @Doom we all want ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).) People can and will do everything wrong, and every situation is different.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of good information in this thread, but people have raped my diagram over and over because it's a timeless classic, guaranteed to work 100% of the time.

Anyways, my advice would be to NOT post all this shit in the noob threads, as they're easily the worst threads on BitBuilt, where good information goes to die and where misinformation starts. I would highly advise reformatting this into something more general purpose that can be used for all consoles, since basically everyone's wanted charge and play ever since the GBA SP came out.

Stitches, link270, Matthew and 2 others like this.
  2. aMammoth .

So just a small wire jumping from the video output ground to any ground on the board?

Initially I tried just cutting and stripping old video cables, from a PS2 I believe, assuming that way I could just plug the yellow,white,red connectors into the tv to test if it still works. but I couldn't get it to work.

Do the copper strands that are wrapped around the yellow,white,red insulated video cables need to be wired to ground as well? Or are they just to prevent interference?

3. GingerOfOz no wario Staff Member . .

Portables:
    When you say "ground on the board" could you be more specific? I think I'm misunderstanding the question.

And yes, the copper around the wires are just there to help block interference.

4. Miceeno .

Portables:
    I'd like to point out that in your quote you cut out the part about the superstition being for NiMh cells memory effect on capacity when not fully discharging and recharging. And that I've mentioned many times that Lithium cells can be very dangerous but with a protection board you'd be hard pressed to blow something up.

I'd also like to point out that I've been lurking all the incarnations of these forums for as long as you yourself have been posting in them.

I'm not dying to make a better thread because then every noob will PM me because they didn't read through a thorough thread. I just barely had a guy PM me to ask me if the UltraVGA will work on his PS2.

Honestly I saw a guy in need who was shut down immediately by another guy who didn't have the answers any way. And I just so happened to be ironing out the kinks in my current project's charging system. I also just so happened to find this really great charging board that seems to be the answer to all my problems and wanted to share an alternative to somebody in need. I do ramble and my posts were bloated with hypothetical math. But you are right, this is a waste of time posting all this shit in this thread. I can almost guarantee this noh_mercy guy will never finish a portable just like 90% of the members on these sites. It's a waste of time to encourage people to work on projects like these because they are "apes with no actual knowledge -SS 2017". The safest thing for the unwashed masses is not the 2 port play and charge its using a television and their house's mains to power there game consoles.

I'll just go ahead and delete my contributions to this thread as penance for questioning the status quo.

5. link270 .

Please don’t remove your contributions. There will be plenty of noobs coming through and attempting things they probably shouldn’t, but there are also be solid people who are interested in learning and having these sources of information can be very valuable.

I’ve been reading your posts and got one of those boards on its way so I can mess around with it as well. If it works well and is simple enough that could be a great find for everyone! If it’s not so easy then it’ll be nice for the people who understand it.

The reason I love this community is it gives you the base to create something and build it how you want with the components you want. Although this makes it a little hard for people with no experience to have every step laid out for them, it helps to deter people that want that and allow those who are serious about learning to get the help they need.

I know people don’t want to post lots of information on certain subjects because the amount of noobs that sweep through here would be very annoying, but it’s nice to have for the rest of us.

DeoNaught and Stitches like this.
  6. ShockSlayer Ivan - the tyranny of evil men . .

Portables:
    All
    I don't know who you are and now I don't care, because if your first reaction is to delete all of your posts then you're no better than bacteria. If you've been around as long as you say you have, then you should know exactly what I mean. I literally said there's good information here, but it's retarded to discredit something that works because something that "seems to be the answer to all [of your] problems" exists.

You can do whatever the hell you want but don't fool yourself into believing that M in your avatar stands for martyr.

Stitches likes this.
  7. noh_mercy .

Miceeno, initially I thought you were being partly sarcastic, but then I see that you actually deleted your posts:(. The information you posted here was invaluable to me and I truly appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge. At no point did I think you were rambling with your posts, nothing was bloated, and I'd only welcome more detail if you could give it. I genuinely want to make a portable(multiple even), I genuinely want to understand what to look for in picking out a bms & charger circuit, and I'm currently too far financially invested in this project to not complete it:D(promises were made). I've been researching and lurking for over 6 months before registering, and In my mind I had 97% of my portable planned out. The one [most important] thing that threw a wrench into my plans was figuring out 'charge and play' w/ 1 port. I've read other solutions that people have done, but so far yours is the New Testament in comparison.

Also please post the results of testing 2 of those red boards to double your charging current, whenever that happens. I am really hoping that they ideally cooperate!

GingerOfOz likes this.
  8. Miceeno .

Portables:
    @link270
    My posts are gone from this thread because as SS pointed out they are inappropriate. I'm considering starting a thread in another category but I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to this hobby. The time to make a detailed write up cuts into my modding time which is generally less than 3 hours a week.

@ShockSlayer
    I don't care if you don't respect me because I've never had respect for you. The bulk of your portables are embarrassing to look at. I can understand that you made most of them when you were younger but they've always look half-assed to me. I realized that I stepped on your pride when I called your (apparently) DPTP switch method archaic, but as I prefaced the post the topic is controversial.

As for the M, it was 20 minutes in photoshop to mimic the N64 "N". When I finished it I realized Mupen64 already took this idea so I've never been happy with it (As well as I screwed up on the red parts). I'll change it just for you. 5 minutes in photoshop gets a rough draft of a Rare logo version.

@noh_mercy
    Please don't take offence to me saying you probably won't finish your projects. Good luck with them, I sincerely hope you finish your current one. It took me many attempts to finish a portable that I wasn't too embarrassed to post to the community.

link270 likes this.
  9. link270 .

I actually like your new avatar. It looks nice and clean.

10. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    This is a pretty childish way to deal with the issue. You've now potentially sabotaged people unrelated to SS, and you look like a cock head for doing it.

Is there a backup that an admin can go through to find and repost the useful information? Or is the wayback machine the only way to undo this Russian middle finger?

11. ShockSlayer Ivan - the tyranny of evil men . .

Portables:
    All
    [​IMG]

link270 likes this.
  12. Matthew Formally known as Chaos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    I'm locking this so it doesn't become another nuclear warzone. @Miceeno - If you want your stuff posted and credit given, send it to me and I'll make sure it gets done.

link270, Stitches and GingerOfOz like this.
  13. Noah The Manager Staff Member . . .

Portables:
    Oh, so you don't have respect for the person who basically allowed you to make all of your portables? Say what you will about SS's earlier portables, but without him more than half of the advancements made in this hobby would be non-existent.

What have you done for the hobby? If you've been around for "all of the incarnations" as you put it why not contribute more to the community? You're nothing but a leech, here to take what you can't give. Taking down the information you've provided proves that you're just a spoiled ass who has a real superiority complex. Telling a new member he's not going to finish his project is just plain dumb and to be honest if you're just going to sulk around here and try and put people down then perhaps you have no place here.

If you plan on changing your attitude then feel free to stick around and join in on the cool shit we're doing with the N64. Otherwise, you can just click "Log Out" and forget this site ever existed because if you're going to continue to act the way you are now, I don't want you here. Feel free to go back to ModRetro where the real innovation happens.

For anyone who wants to see MicREEEEEEEEEno's posts, here's everything he posted:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.