Discussion N64 Noob Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo 64' started by Matthew, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacal .

Portables:
    RDP 64
    gamemasterlink likes this.
  2. gamemasterlink .

Thanks

Could IDE cable or rainbow ribbon be used as well?

If so, is it a good option?

The reason why I'm asking is because I already have some IDE cable.

3. Matthew Formally known as Chaos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    IDE is great for rewiring the cartridge slot :) For power and ground, you should use thicker wire and for video and audio, try to use shielded wire.

Stitches and gamemasterlink like this.
  4. gamemasterlink .

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this! :D

5. Kevin Price .

Hey all,

I keep having an issue with my portable. I turn it on and sometimes it doesnt come on. Other times, it does come on. And sometimes it will turn on and then freeze a few seconds in.

Ive already tried looking for shorts and I just got done rewiring the cartridge slot to no avail. I keep having this issue and im unsure of what it could be coming from.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Further, If I get a voltage reading from the video out pin (after a board reduction), does this mean that my board is working? even if I dont get video on the screen

this board is so temperamental.. it drives me insane

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  6. Matthew Formally known as Chaos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Pictures with the board would significantly help us. It sounds like you are having a short or some sort of problems on your 3.3v line. Check your regulator for issues.

7. Kevin Price .

Here's some pictures..

Two eyes sets of eyes are better than one.. thank you :)

Attached Files:

8. Matthew Formally known as Chaos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    #1. Your wires for the cartridge slot are really long. It would be a very good idea to shorten those. Having long wires on the cartridge slot will definitely give you some issues.

#2. You aren't using all of the pins of the cartridge relocation. @ShockSlayer and @marshallh among others have emphasized that you really should include all of them.

#3. It's possible that you cut off a resistor that the PIF needs in order to work. Put a 20k ohm resistor between pin 8(I believe) of the PIF and 3.3v.

#4. N64's are just really finicky and will just break.

#5. Triple check your regulator and quadruble check that you don't have any shorts.

Stitches likes this.
  9. Kevin Price .

Well my wires are 6inches.. I'm using servo wire so I think it's either 26 or 28 gauge. How short should I go with servo wire?

10. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    With data carrying wires, rule of thumb is: as short as reasonably possible, and you can never have too much ground.

Aurelio likes this.
  11. noh_mercy .

Hi noob here, is there any way to make a single port 'charge and play'? I saw the charging diagram by ShockSlayer and I might go through with that but I strongly prefer having just 1 port.

12. GingerOfOz no wario Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Nope. Coming soon is a Wii board designed by Aurelio that will be able to pull it off, but it's specifically designed for the Wii. You either need to have two ports or opt for a charge or play system unfortunately.

13. link270 .

That’s a very informative post, I was wondering the same thing regarding a one port solution.

I also liked the info you provided in your last post regarding the battery capacities. You should start a new thread with your findings and maybe we can come up with a better, or different battery solution.

Miceeno likes this.
  14. noh_mercy .

Thank you for this informative reply.

Another noob question, how do you figure how much current is needed to charge the battery and power the n64+screen?

This red board performs the same function as the green input/output protection boards I see on the BOM right? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/162028917428?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT)

Would the charging requirements change depending on the batteries I use? There are a bunch of 3.7v batteries with different mAh values, does that have any bearing on the 5Amp requirement for the charger, or if I connect a few in parallel would that change anything?

So far this is what I'd like to use in my build now:
    Battery:
    http://www.batteryspace.com/polymer...wh-10a-rate-ul-listed-un38-3-passed-ndgr.aspx

Charger(12v 5A):
    https://www.amazon.com/TNTE-12-Volt-Power-Supply/dp/B009ZZV6TA

Smart charging board
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intelligent...18650-lithium-Satellite/311721987212#shpCntId
    Can someone green-light me on these components?

15. noh_mercy .

Ok so I read your previous posts and see that you have tested these batteries (PANASONIC NCR18650B) and their actual capacity is around 2900mah, I may just go with these since they are tested.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121611468285?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Now how can you tell if this red board is probably unable to charge those 5000mah at 1C, is it something that you have to test or is it something you can see from the specs? If its by looking at the specs of the board, what do you look for?

Also what other boards have you used in the past that you have tested that function the same as this red board?

I think I'll just pick up 2 batteries and 1 board in 2s configuration. The PANASONIC NCR18650B seems popular around here. And if I go with these plus a 12v 5A powersupply I should be set right?

But theoretically if I did find a board that could supply power for 2 of those 5000mah batteries in 2s configuration, Would a 12v 5A charger be sufficient because its in the range of 37-74 Watts or would I need a charger that at least uses 74 watts? For example say I picked a 12V 10A power supply would that be allowed?

16. DeoNaught .

Portables:
    sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
    Regarding your battery pcm, I found one called tp5100 http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=181687643612

I have yet to try it, but I saw this other dude use it and he really recommends it.

Miceeno likes this.
  17. noh_mercy .

So the red board charges all capacity 7.4v batteries with 1.2A? And the tp5100 link says its programmable charge current max is 2A. So the tp5100 should charge the batteries quicker right?

18. noh_mercy .

O ok. Wow the that red board is pretty good then. If I wanted to figure out what is the lowest 12V X Amp power supply I could use to power the system would I just add up all the current being used by the system (current used by screen, audio, 12v line, 3.3v line, and Battery charging board)? Or do you decide that based off the highest power usage you measured from the system? In your case you measured 22.1W, so could you go as low as power everything with a 12v 2A powers supply since that should give you 24W?

In my case I have a 12V 4.2A power supply lying around and I would like to use that if it is sufficient(my build is pretty much no trim n64, psOne screen with its own audio, and this redboard).

19. aMammoth .

When wiring video, where do you wire the ground from the board? To LCD or to the battery?
    Any particular gauge wire I should use to wire the lcd to the main board?

20. GingerOfOz no wario Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Ground is ground is ground is ground. You can pull ground from just about anywhere, a convenient pad near the composite line is probably your best option. I'd use 22 gauge or thicker for screen power lines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.