Question N64 microchip

Pacal

Portables
RDP 64
Hi.
Does anybody knows where I can find the files to program a Pic,i want to use one of those nintendo switch joysticks on a N64 portable that I’m working.

Ethan

there are no publicly avaible files for this you'll have to buy a pre-made one/kit or write the code yourself

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Nold has some converter code he’s used with success here you could try:
This one uses an ATtiny microcontroller to convert the X/Y axis ADC reads, which then are converted into quadrature pulses similar to what the N64 stick outputs (which is a type of encoder, not a typical potentiometer stick) to be read by the N64 controller. Gman ported very similar code to a PIC microcontroller to do the same task, maybe he will share with you his code. Keep in mind the switch stick ranges are as we know, terrible, so you’ll have to do some scaling in software to get them to feel good.

Pacal

Portables
RDP 64
This one uses an ATtiny microcontroller to convert the X/Y axis ADC reads, which then are converted into quadrature pulses similar to what the N64 stick outputs (which is a type of encoder, not a typical potentiometer stick) to be read by the N64 controller. Gman ported very similar code to a PIC microcontroller to do the same task, maybe he will share with you his code. Keep in mind the switch stick ranges are as we know, terrible, so you’ll have to do some scaling in software to get them to feel good
Thanks,I’ll check it out.

Portables
This one uses an ATtiny microcontroller to convert the X/Y axis ADC reads, which then are converted into quadrature pulses similar to what the N64 stick outputs (which is a type of encoder, not a typical potentiometer stick) to be read by the N64 controller. Gman ported very similar code to a PIC microcontroller to do the same task, maybe he will share with you his code. Keep in mind the switch stick ranges are as we know, terrible, so you’ll have to do some scaling in software to get them to feel good.
That's awesome info, do you know how well this was used in any portables?

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
I used it two times & it's pretty good