Solved N64 Heatsinks

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
I'm looking at different options for heat sinks right now for my n64p.

These are what I'm considering:

But my question is: Is there anything wrong with using the heatsinks that come with the n64? No portable I've seen has used them. Is there a reason for this that I am missing?

EDIT: There seems to be an issue with posting an url. I paste it plaintext and it causes a huge gap between my sentences and the same thing when I link it.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Heatsinking is all about airflow. If these will fit your need size wise you can use them; just make sure you've got good ventilation.

The original n64 "heatsinks" are actually aluminum heat transfer blocks, they aren't designed the be standalone although the n64 is sturdy enough to get away with just those usually. The actual heatsink is that big flat thing on the top with the two fins that they screw into.

While an N64 doesn't require a fan the same way a GC or Wii does, if you were to use one in conjunction with your suggested copper heatsinks, your portable would remain fairly cool, so long as you've got a good airflow path.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks SS!

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
One last question: is it likely that the heatsinks will shift due to heat? My case has enough vent holes that it shouldn't get crazy hot. Will I need to tie/strap/mount them into place?

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Use a good thermal paste to attach them, and if you want to glue the sides, you can.