My PS2 does not want to turn on

Portables
I opened my ps2 slim to check out the motherboard to start to trim it, after I finished looking at it i put it all back so I can play some games. Once I plugged everything in i saw that there was no red light. I plugged in my cable to another ps2 and it works, What can be the problem?
DSC_0096.JPG
DSC_0095.JPG

Portables
I would first of all make sure that those ribbon cable are making contact, specifically the one with the power switch. Try to push the ribbon in the connector as much as possible without being too rough.

Portables
I pushed the ribbon cable as much in as possible did not work, i changed it with the working ps2 cable + power button, still did not work, but i did find a problem! A broken piece on the ribbon cable.... fixable or buy a new one?
DSC_0101.JPG

Portables
Could be it, it's hard to see this on the picture though.
If it's one of the contact you could try to put a bit of solder to fix it but could be a difficult operation depending of how confident you are with soldering. If not then the ribbon itself doesn't cost much and they are quite easy to find on ebay, like that one for example.

Or alternative you could just solder a tact switch to some points on the board, the points a present in my PS2 beginner guide bellow.

Portables
I will see your guide to put in a tact switch but I also changed the ribbons on my other ps2 and it did not turn on either, and the broken ribbon cable works but if I move it to a certain position, so did I do something to the motherboard??

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
When you removed the ribbon cables, did you just yank them out? Or did you release the clasps first?

Portables
Right, so if another ribbon doesn't work it could be a few things.
Maybe the connector is a bit loss, in that case soldering a tact switch to the board would solve it.

Another scenario is that there could have been a short when you power on the board.
If there was any metallic parts touching the board, where it is not supposed to, when you power it on( like the heatsink or the dvd drive) you could have blown a fuse.

So to be safe I would check the back of the board for this, fuse as usually labelled "PS" along with a number.
I would check to see if one of those is burn or gone and in that case you could bridge it (not recommended) or replace it.

More info can be found here although this is for a 7700X board this should give you some idea of what to look for.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
For future reference, it's a good idea to not connect the power lead to anything until it's fully reassembled.

Portables
Understood, now if we can, my other ps2's disc drive does not want to spin, it used to but after I took of the soft mod it stopped working, help??

Portables
Maybe the connector is a bit loss, in that case soldering a tact switch to the board would solve it.

Another scenario is that there could have been a short when you power on the board.
If there was any metallic parts touching the board, where it is not supposed to, when you power it on( like the heatsink or the dvd drive) you could have blown a fuse.

So to be safe I would check the back of the board for this, fuse as usually labelled "PS" along with a number.
I would check to see if one of those is burn or gone and in that case you could bridge it (not recommended) or replace it.

More info can be found here although this is for a 7700X board this should give you some idea of what to look for.
What is bridge ??

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Bridging is connecting two points. In the case of a fuse, you check for continuity between the two sides of the fuse using a multimeter or ohmmeter. If they are continuous (connected), your fuse is good. If not, you can use a tiny wire to bridge (or reconnect) the two sides of the fuse.

Portables

I found a lot of psX, which one of these is the piece I should check if its fussed ??
DSC_0103.JPG
DSC_0104.JPG
DSC_0105.JPG
DSC_0106.JPG
DSC_0107.JPG

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The little white piece by the power jack will be the fuse, you should make sure there is continuity between the two sides of it.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
When you took it apart, what kind of surface did you use? It's possible that a static shock may have murdered an important component.

Portables
Probably check each fuse one by one. First look for any missing fuse, some of those fuse tend to just burnout.
If you can't find any missing fuse then follow what Madmorda mentions, using a multimeter check the continuity between each side of the fuse to check if the current would go through.

This is an example of what they look like on another slim board (maybe shcp 770xx)

Last edited:
Portables
I looked in more details the fuse close to the port and I think it did burn, because it looks brown on the side, so in that case what should i do??
DSC_0108.JPG