Worklog My first wii portable

kahve

So, this is my first wii portable, and I want to document the entire progress. I've relocated the u10 and bluetooth, and in a couple of hours, the dremel I ordered should arrive. I also ordered 4 PTH08080's from China, I should only need 3 though because I am planning to use a powerbank circuit, so that should supply me 5V2A (3A if i am lucky).

Planning to use an Atmega328P for the gamecube controller, I tested it with the Nintendo library and it works fine. I also designed a 3v3 "level shifter" in such a way that when 3v3 comes from one side, it goes to the other side, but when 5v comes from the other side, it gets shifted to 3v3.

My bluetooth relocation. I used wire from an old dc motor.
My bluetooth relocation. I used wire from an old dc motor.

1630499226930.png
pin from the u10

1630499248899.png
This circuit was harvested from a powerbank with a leaking lipo (that smelled good but unfortunately i had to get rid of that). Now it has 3 18650 batteries harvested from an old laptop battery (I have a lot of those so if these ever go bad, I can just replace them)

1630499495508.png
my buttons

1630499504731.png
i will try using this as dual tact switches

I don't have a name for the portable yet, but i hope it will feature a 3d printed case and a custom power management system (The same atmega328p used for the controller will handle that). I only have a composite 7 inch testing screen, so I will need to order a screen.

kahve

Today, I received my dremel (was a bit late) and I've trimmed the board
1630950753538.png

I don't have regulators on hand (They are being shipped from China.), so I can't test the trim but I hope it works. (The picture is from before I sanded the board, the inductor there is gone now.)
While trimming, I accidentally cut the wires going to the bluetooth module so I will resolder them.

If there is any way (maybe wiring from onboard ones, idk) for me to test the trim without regulators, please let me know.

Attachments

kahve

I received my regulators today and connected them to the trimmed motherboard, and it just works... Bluetooth works too. The resistor values I used are:

3v32.2k
1v1533k
1v74k

Now it's time for cutting the usb connector on the wii motherboard in half and relocating bluetooth once again because i dont like the placement. wifi and mx chip can wait a bit more

Last edited:

kahve

ive decided to use an old usb sd card reader as my storage device, so i disassembled that and soldered it in place. it now boots into rvloader and works with a wiimote.

kahve

I designed and printed a case for this portable today, but i broke something i guess. usb and bluetooth no longer works.

kahve

added a parallel 10k resistor to the 3v3 regulator's 2k2, now at least bluetooth works

kahve

i don't know how, but i forgot that usb was supposed to be a twisted pair - twisting the data cables worked and now everything is fully functional again

kahve

1641059238713.png

Currently designing a case for the handheld, am wondering if i could fit 3 18650 batteries like so. i am going to lift the wii motherboard a centimeter and put stuff (regulators, power management) there and hope they dont create noise to interfere with the wii.

Right side will be much heavier... If it was a vertical arrangement with batteries in the bottom