Worklog My First Wii Portable

I'm doing this now because I bricked my N64 before even trimming it or anything. I removed the motherboard and now it won't turn on anymore. To start, a lot of things that I need are here and I need to ask something.

So, the battery/charger of my Wii U gamepad broke. But I don't really care about using my Wii U anymore.
So, I'm probably just going to use that as the whole thing. Will, that work at all? I put this as worklog because it's still going to be the worklog, but I'm asking this first.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm doing this now because I bricked my N64 before even trimming it or anything. I removed the motherboard and now it won't turn on anymore. To start, a lot of things that I need are here and I need to ask something.

So, the battery/charger of my Wii U gamepad broke. But I don't really care about using my Wii U anymore.
So, I'm probably just going to use that as the whole thing. Will, that work at all? I put this as worklog because it's still going to be the worklog, but I'm asking this first.
You can get everything to fit without externally modifying the case, but it's a fair bit of work to do. Several people have attempted it, I can't remember if anyone actually finished a unit. I know several people have completed portables where they expanded the gamepad case with a small project box on the back where the battery door is to give them enough room to put good batteries inside.

rcb123

18650s don't fit on the inside when only the screen is in place (too thick for it)
You will either have to use a flatpack or put the batteries on the back
I would personally suggest going for something like a g-wii or another design that people have successfully completed before for your first portable as I have looked before but haven't found anyone that has finished a portable in a wii u gamepad without back expansion (even with back expansion I've only seen 2). Here's an example: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portable-wii.2811/.
I am currently working on a wii u gamepad portable (no worklog), and hindsight it 20/20. Planning is key, especially when it is this thin (something I didn't do much of) and I am having problems now due to that (first portable for me).
I've attached some helpful materials if you are planning to go through with this though.

Attachments