Worklog My first Wii Portable

I´m trying to build my first Wii Portable.

The things i want to build in are:
OMGWTF trimmed Wii
USB Port
SD Card slot
MX-Chip (Just because i want to use the RT Clock)
Bluetooth chip
Custom regulators
DS lite buttons and 3ds sliders
7,4V 6600A batteries
Gamecube controller
Wii Classic controller and Wii Remote
5 inch screen

Now first of all I want to apologize for using JaksonS idea of building in all 3 controllers but I really want to play games which uses the Wii Classic controller.

I allready trimmed and tested the Wii board and it does work.

Here is a small Video which showes that the Wii boots

PS: Please ignore my mess and the people in the background xD

Everything sounds great, but I would like to make a couple suggestions.

First off, the sd card slot is not really needed. All the software runs off usb and that slot is a pain to wire up.

Second, instead of using a gamecube controller, I would recommend using a GC+ board. It also natively supports 3ds sliders. If you tried connecting those sliders to a gamecube controller, you would not get the full joystick range.

And third, how do you plan to integrate a wiimote and classic controller? It sounds like a great idea, but there is a lot that goes into it. I just want you to be prepared for the work that will go into that. And don't apologize for using somebody else's idea. This forum is a hub of good ideas to be shared by a community. Every idea benefits us all.

But other than that, it sounds like you are on the right track. Welcome to Bitbuilt and good luck on your endeavor.

Last edited:
Well yes you are right with the sd card slot. I won´t use it. Thank you for the hint.

And I know that using the GC+ board is the best, no the only solution for the 3ds sliders, but I can´t buy the board right now because the store is under maintenance (well you probably know that xD) so I´ve got to stick with what I have right now.

So the classic controller is hocket to the wiimote, right? And the Wiimote works with bluetooth, so shouldn´t I be able to wire the classic controller to the Wiimote and with individual switches to turn the power supply of each controller ON or OFF?

But thank you again for giving me these hints and helping me with my portable :D

OH wait a minute I think another problem is that the 3ds sliders will also be conected to the Wii classic controller, so the Wii games wont get the full joystick range....ups

Last edited:
Jackson would be the best to answer these questions, but I will help out as much as I can. If you want to use a classic controller and wiimote, there is not really a need for a gamecube controller as long as you use the classic controller, not the classic controller pro because the original classic controller has analog triggers. And since you are a beginner, I think writing scaling code for the 3ds sliders is a bit much, I would just recommend using smaller joysticks. Here is a link to digikey for the smallest joysticks out there. https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cts-electrocomponents/254SA103B50A/254SA103B50A-ND/1755919
If you are really set on this setup, in order to make it easier, i would recommend just using a wiimote and classic controller instead of trying to run 3 controllers at the same time. There is a lot more to do than you would think. I would then just wire a switch to turn the classic controller part on or off. Then you could just use the normal wiimote buttons when the classic controller is not in use.

Wait does this mean that PortablizeMii emulates the gc controller with the wii classic controller?

Last edited:
Nintendont does and nintendont is the gamecube player in PortabalizeMii. As long as you get the normal classic controller with analog triggers, you should be good. And get nintendo brand, not off brand because a lot of those suck. I did that for the longest while before i bought a gamecube controller.

And if you want to simplify it even more, maybe try making the portable portrait style. Then you are not having to cut a classic controller in half.

Update: I wanted to double check the controller situation I suggested. I tested it and when power is flowing to the classic controller, the only button that works on the wiimote is the home button. So a switch controlling power to the classic controller would give that 2 controller setup you are looking for.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for testing this for me, that really helped me.

About making the portable potrait style, I´ve thought about this for a long time and decided befor making the portable that I dont want to make it portail style. But thanks for warning me, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Soo after a long time (well over 3 years) I´m back and at a fresh start for my portable. So far I only got the important boards like the PMS-RVL-2, the PMS-USB and battery hocked up to the Wii mainboard and tested if the Wii actually boots up.

For a little bit more context I uploaded a Video on Youtube

Last edited: