Worklog My first wii portable. Welcoming name ideas, haha.

Figured I'd at least get something with the basics working before i started a work log. Started off with u10 relocation after installing rvloader. After confirming it booted. Removed the u10 wire to ensure I didnt just rip it off and take the trace with it when trimming the board. Removed all the components that would be in the way of the trim. Then cut it just outside the lines I marked with a diamond cut off wheel on my dremel. Switched to the sanding drum and got it right to the edge of my marked lines, evened the edges out with a fine, flat bastard file. Then sanded the edges with a 80, 120, 320, 600 then 1500 grit sand paper(two final stages being a wet sand to keep the stupid fine metal dust from getting places it shouldnt.) Cleaned the board, using iso, a toothbrush and qtips to clean all the leftovers from the edge of the board. Tested restistances, resoldered the u10 wire, then tried to fire it but overheated even with heatsinks in less than 2 minutes. Turns out the cheapy little variable pots on the regulator board heat up as it's running, changing their resistance. So took one of the boards, removed the little el cheapo pot, wired in a 50k, better quality pot, and proceeded to set my voltage, desolder one end of the pot, test it, resolder to board and repeat for all voltages. Hoping replacing with set resistors will fix the voltage swing.
Usually work on my projects before and after work, so should have frequent updates.

20210802_191729.jpg20210802_191627.jpg20210802_191531.jpgScreenshot_20210802-193236_Docs.jpg

Why are you cooling the inductor?
Cause I done messed up, thanks for spotting that, haha. That'll learn me good for trying to tinker before the coffee has kicked in. And that is why I bought extra thermal adhesive when I bought the heatsinks.

Decided to go with the g-wii layout, since I have a bunch of the right parts around here because I repair controllers and consoles as a hobby. This is after the second primer coat. Few imperfections showing their ugly faces that I thought I filled in with baking soda and CA glue. Hoping the wet sand on this coat will get rid of them. Gonna go platinum coloured theme, got a nice, shiny silver acrylic paint. Going to be using my resin printer for the buttons that cant be bought.

20210805_145557.jpg
20210805_145607.jpg

Got most of the surface imperfections out with some aggressive sanding and excessive priming, haha. Here's the first coat of metallic silver. Still on the fence as to whether this back case will be used or if it's a practice one.
20210807_142900.jpg20210807_142844.jpg

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Oh boy, not these regulators again. I would advise against using them. More details in this thread.

Oh boy, not these regulators again. I would advise against using them. More details in this thread.
They were mostly to hold me over for testing and until my replacement credit card comes in. All the good sites dont take PayPal without a credit card attached. And if I got them functioning well enough in the mean time, they probably would have been put in a mini console with a shit load of fans and the portable will be getting upgraded to one of the fancy pms boards as soon as I can.

New credit card came in, first thing i ordered after activating it was the rvl-pms2, usb board to go with it, couple switch analog breakouts for the ps2 portable I'm making, and the gc+ 2 board from 4layertech. That site is a godsend. Since I dont want to fart around with the mp1584's anymore, I'll be working on the other case internals once the epoxy holding the front two halves together sets and i can start sanding and fitting all the internals. 5 inch vga screen also JUST came in the mail. Gonna test it on another uncut wii that's running rvloader with vga patches before I get too excited though. Hopefully more and better updates in about a week.

Edited to add pictures of the front case glue drying. Just the outer edges for now. Going to do the long edges and cracks around the seam after work.

20210810_145237.jpg20210810_145231.jpg

Last edited:
So after all my work of printing, sanding, joining, sanding and priming, sanding then painting, I discovered I accidently sliced and printed the first revision cause I was comparing differences also ordered the wrong screen so I've switched over to a Louii build for now, which involved some massive tuning on my 3d printer. Gonna continue to work on both while waiting for the new screen and second set of boards to come in. Will update post with pics of the second print of the proper gwii files, and I guess I'll start another work log for the Louii build.