Worklog My First Ps2 Portable "The Replay-station 2"

Quakers

Smash that like button!
Hey all, Quakers here.

This will mark as my first ever portable! Im quite new to the portabalizing scene, and new to electronics. However, I'm hoping to learn as much as I can about engineering. And maybe even create a decent portable along the way. I know that portabalizing takes time and effort, but I'm willing to put as much effort as I can for this project to flourish. I can't wait for what my journey might bring!

But enough about me, it's time to show you what I've got done so far:

• So far I have got an 4'3 inch screen from an old GPS
• 2 pin A/C charging jack
• Ds lite buttons and Speakers
• Ps2 model
• Case design
• Setted up Ps2 loader

What I don't have yet at the moment:

• Ps2 controller
• Necessary equipment
• Battery cells
• Battery regulator / protecter or any extra PCB's for the matter
• Resisters
• Actual Case
• Or anything else I need for the portable

I've also decided to make my case out of wood, because I think it look awesome ( but also because i'm pretty cheap ).

93C6E925-C26E-487D-9E57-9CC96B7F1845.jpeg

It would be so nice if anyone can help me seek the necessary parts I need to create this portable, so I can finally fill my hobbyist dream in creating my first ever portable!
( Im calling this the RePlay" )

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I have got an 4'3 inch screen from an old GPS
Does that have some kind of video in? If not you most likely won't be able to use it.

I'd also suggest figuring out what all you want to put inside before settling on a design, since you may run out of room otherwise.

Quakers

Smash that like button!
Thank you so much for the advice! Anyways the screen I'm using is a Garmin Nuvi, which does have video in it. I'll also now start measuring once all the components I need is collected! Im so sorry in advance if I say or do anything dumb again.

Last edited:

Quakers

Smash that like button!
I got a quick question that most of you probably know the answer to, but I've got a Ds lite and 3ds here that I'm going to use for buttons and speakers. However there are also 3.7v Li-on batteries here I can use for battery life, So I was just wondering if I can use them
for my portable. And save the hassle of getting regular 18650 li-on lithium batteries, heres a picture down below:

F0A2424C-730A-4C00-95A3-331B6AD1364B.jpeg

What do you guys think I should do?

Last edited:
I got a quick question that most of you probably know the answer to, but I've got a Ds lite and 3ds here that I'm going to use for buttons and speakers. However there are also 3.7v Li-on batteries here I can use for battery life, So I was just wondering if I can use them
for my portable. And save the hastle of getting regular 18650 li-on lithium batteries, heres a picture down below
What do you guys think I should do?
You can use one of them, but even the bigger one only has a capacity of 5 Wh. In comparison, a single 18650 cell with 3 Ah has a capacity of 11 Wh, and you usually use 2-4 of them. So if you want good battery life, you can't use the 3DS battery.

Quakers

Smash that like button!
Thank you for your generosity, now I know to use a 18650 cell.
I'll start working as fast as I can :)

April 29, 2021 Update: This project has affectively been discontinued, and this worklog spreads lots of mis-information.
As I wasn't knowledgeably prepared yet, before jumping into this worklog. So insist you learn from those who corrected my
mistakes, and don't make the same ones I did.

Last edited: