Worklog My first portable

I started work on my first portable a few weeks ago and one dead board later I finally have a setup that boots to portabilize-me post-trim.

Currently using 4x pth08080wad regulators to power the system and I've left the AV socket on for now to help with testing. I do have an RVL PMS coming so I will probably end up using that when it gets here.

My next goals are to order a proper screen, 18650 cells, case as well as the sliders and tactile switches. I'm thinking of using Predue's Swiitch case and getting it 3d printed professionally.

Anyone have suggestions for an affordable but quality display solution? I was looking a this one which is supposedly an IPS screen: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/5-inch-TFT-...80-RGB-40PIN-IPS-For-Arduino-AVR/333484884224

Anyways here is my current setup:
wtf.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
People here have used this screen and board pretty commonly in the past. I don't think the panel is IPS, but it's a good combo for a good price.

Portables
the panel stitches linked isn't ips from my knowledge, i have it and its pretty great.
if you do really want IPS, other users here have used the eyoyo 5" small mini monitor

the display you linked doesnt have a driver board, without one you cant connect it to the wii

Since the last time I posted many things have happened. I killed the wii board and the regulators but thankfully in the mean time my RVL PMS got here, as well as the gorgeous 3d model I borrowed from predue, the LCD screen and driver too. I bought a new wii yesterday afternoon and between then and now I give you this:

duo.jpg

Just waiting for some better batteries to arrive, and then I will begin the process of modding VGA output.

Thanks!

VGA output is a go, I also have the LCD driver modified to run on 3.3v supply thanks to some help from another thread by Louii.

Three main things left to do:

1)Audio
2)Controls

3) Sanding and fitting the components in the case.

I'm going to work on getting the first 2 done because I'd like to get a POC of the whole system before attempting to wire it into the case.

duo1.jpg

People here have used this screen and board pretty commonly in the past. I don't think the panel is IPS, but it's a good combo for a good price.
quick question, having not seen / held either an IPS or TFT TN 5in panel before - right now the Eyoyo 5" IPS is around $80 and TFT one you linked is around $30. Is the extra $50 to go IPS worth it in your opinion? Given the fact that a portable is literally right in front of your face most of the time, I don't think the better viewing angles is going to win me over. But better image quality might...

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
quick question, having not seen / held either an IPS or TFT TN 5in panel before - right now the Eyoyo 5" IPS is around $80 and TFT one you linked is around $30. Is the extra $50 to go IPS worth it in your opinion? Given the fact that a portable is literally right in front of your face most of the time, I don't think the better viewing angles is going to win me over. But better image quality might...
I do like IPS better, mainly for when there's a bit of screen glare. If you don't mind spending the extra dosh, I think it's worth it.