Worklog My first Portable Wii

Viktor

Hello,
I'v been doing some research lately and wanted to try a shot on my own. I ordered three japanese wiis and managed to region change two of them. The third one has system version 1.0 on it. That's why I'm not able to softmodd it :(. I still have 2 tries and 3 Hardware components of everything.
I want my Wii to have following specs:
  • Bluetooth in order to launch Wii Games
  • usb-c charging
  • 128GB usb flash drive
  • (Gamecube Controller Ports)
  • No wifi
I don't want to do a full range of specs, because it's my first portable and I don't have any experience in this territory.
However, I still have some questions:
  1. I cannot find 32+ Gauge wires on the Internet, may someone send me a link (shipping to Germany)
  2. Is there a possibility to use a real Gamecube controller instead of a GC+? (I have one spare one at home, that I dont use)
  3. Is there a cheaper alternitive for the custom regulators as the one from the BitBuild Shop? (I couldnt find any)
(Sorry for bad English, but I'm from Germany) :/

Portables
Why are you ordering Japanese wii's if you are in Germany? You can just use pal wii's?

Check eBay for the wires or find a local store that is maybe open around this time, not sure how rough the lockdown is in Germany, but eBay should just have them

There is, but the whole gamecube controller board is clunky, the GC+ is just way better, than you can just use the joysticks and buttons from that GameCube controller tho

The cheaper alternative to the PMS are the PTH regulaters, but you would need a charging board with them too for the battery's, I woudnt say they are worth the couple bucks you save from buying these over the PMS, especially with all the features it has. If you do want to use the PTH's, there should be a guide on bitbuilt somewhere

Viktor

Why are you ordering Japanese wii's if you are in Germany? You can just use pal wii's?

Check eBay for the wires or find a local store that is maybe open around this time, not sure how rough the lockdown is in Germany, but eBay should just have them

There is, but the whole gamecube controller board is clunky, the GC+ is just way better, than you can just use the joysticks and buttons from that GameCube controller tho

The cheaper alternative to the PMS are the PTH regulaters, but you would need a charging board with them too for the battery's, I woudnt say they are worth the couple bucks you save from buying these over the PMS, especially with all the features it has. If you do want to use the PTH's, there should be a guide on bitbuilt somewhere
I was ordering japanese Wiis, because they were way cheaper: One European costs around 50€, while three japanese cost 30€

Local stores are all closed.

Am I able to use the sensors of the Gamecube controller or will I need to buy ones (for joysticks, Analog Triggers and Buttons)

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Can I use the "real" buttons of the GC Controller or just the button caps?
You can use the buttons, the rubber domes, and the board if you want to. You'll just have to scratch the traces on the board and solder wires to them.

Viktor

Hello again, I want to start trimming the wii in a few days. I read that, the easiest way to remove the U10 chip is to use hot air station. However, I don't have one. So I wanted to ask, whether I can use a hairdryer or it's easier with the soldering iron. Also i wanted to ask which type of wire I should use for wiring of the U10 chip to the GPU?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
A hairdrier most likely won't get hot enough to melt the solder, so an iron would be best for you. We recommend you use magnet wire, something around 34-38 gauge should be good since you can fit them through the vias nearby.

Viktor

My USB Drive arrived yesterday. I ordered the white Samsung Fit, because I heared the black one doesn't work. For whatever reason they shipped the newer black one. I first was in shock, but when I tried to boot games, it just worked. Think I got lucky there. I am now waiting for the wires to arrive and I will start with the U10 relocation then.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
My USB Drive arrived yesterday. I ordered the white Samsung Fit, because I heared the black one doesn't work. For whatever reason they shipped the newer black one. I first was in shock, but when I tried to boot games, it just worked. Think I got lucky there. I am now waiting for the wires to arrive and I will start with the U10 relocation then.
Sometimes the black ones do work, but they haven't proven to be reliable. Here's hoping yours continues to work.

Viktor

Now that I got the all the software to work and ordered some wires, I would like to order all the other components. But I don't know which to order. Are there some recomendations for:
  • 5 inch displays
  • batteries
  • charging modules for the batteries (if possible usb-c)
Please some help :)

Portables
sorry, this might be a stupid question, but does the bitbuild store ship to Germany?
dont know where they all can ship to, but most of eu should certainly be covered by them, so yes

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
There will be a delay, though, due to Covid-19 everything's running slow.