Worklog My first portable (PS2)

Portables
Thanks for your suggestions, the av caps are still on the board and I tried soldering to the input side of that capacitor anyway. With the 5v wiring, do I have to remove that linear regulator? Or just solder to the 5v side.
Best is to remove it, you could just remove the 5v pin from it as well, then solder the 5v from the PMS to that point.

Ollie

Just finished removing the linear regulator.
IMG_20210823_182216.jpg

Still nothing out of the composite screen, and when I turn it on the chips still get warm.

At the moment, what I have connected is:

Pms to all the points listed in trim guide
5v to the 5v side of that linear regulator
Screen powered off pms, and the composite connected to where the video plug used to be
A reset button.

I'm starting to think my board may be bad, but I don't see any evidence as to why, so it's probably just my wiring.

Is it possibly something to do with the way I wired video to the plug solder pads?

P.s. I get ~0.1v fluctuating when I test the voltage of the composite pad

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
It doesnt look like you have reset wired (R). without this, the ps2 will not turn on

Ollie

It doesnt look like you have reset wired (R). without this, the ps2 will not turn on
Its them two blue wires leading to a switch, I tried wiring it to the pms before and thought I'd try making it its own switch to make testing easier.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member

Ollie

The voltages are fine from the pms,.but I notice some drop by the time the current has traveled to all of the relocation points, but I don't know if this is what's causing it, since the board appears to boot just not outputting video?

Try wiring composite video to the capacitor on the front

Did you measure with a multimeter all the regulator output voltages?
I tried soldering to the input side of that capacitor, soldering to it's output would involve me having to remove the smaller capacitor e3.3, is that safe to remove?

Portables
The voltages are fine from the pms,.but I notice some drop by the time the current has traveled to all of the relocation points, but I don't know if this is what's causing it, since the board appears to boot just not outputting video?

I tried soldering to the input side of that capacitor, soldering to it's output would involve me having to remove the smaller capacitor e3.3, is that safe to remove?
This is the best pic I can offer up prior to assembly, I've seen it in Gman's advanced trims and others where they remove all those top capacitors

Attachments

Ollie

This is the best pic I can offer up prior to assembly, I've seen it in Gman's advanced trims and others where they remove all those top capacitors
Cheers for the photo, I've removed the caps and connected it back up, still not getting any video. I'm at my wits end with this thing lol

Portables
Cheers for the photo, I've removed the caps and connected it back up, still not getting any video. I'm at my wits end with this thing lol
The only thing I can think of as test the image below shows a 5v point by the video chip, Check if you got voltage there, and if you can send a full shot of the bottom and top of your PS2, maybe someone here might see something off?

Portables
I had problems trying to get composite video and 5v out from the pins were the AV used to be. I ended up wiring after the capacitor and ended up temporarily powering the screen off a higher voltage as mine was not native 5v, this eventually worked for me