Worklog My first portable (PS2)

Ollie

Hi guys!

Back in June, I saw several videos of people who had homemade Wii portables and found out what people where doing with these consoles.

I immediately rushed to make a Wii portable with an old 6 layer Wii I had, and, inevitably knowing very little about electronics, I failed on basically every single step. I posted on here asking for help, at which point I stood back and said to myself I need to practice more and get better before I rush back into ruining another old system. (If you wanted to you could go check on the old thread: you'll see what I mean it was proper bad)

Since then, I've done several smaller projects and now I think, with enough time and dedication, I'd have a good shot at making a semi alright portable.

So now I am going to attempt to make a ps2 portable using a 700093 board.I have great games I want to play portably with both of these systems, so maybe down the line Ill go back to my Wii.

But anyway chapter and verse over, here's my current planned feature list (all subject to change obviously).

- 3d printed case
- ps2-pms sold on this store, when it comes back in stock
- the 5 inch VGA screen sold on this store, when it comes back in stock.
-uamp digital audio
-usb to load games (I know it's slow, but I just want to keep it simple for my first portable. I've been using usb loading for a bit on my home PS2, and I'm happy living with the side effects.
- 4x 18650 batteries: having a relatively long battery life is quite important to me.

I'm still deciding on parts so if I changed anything I'll update it.

While I'm eager to get started making this thing, I'm only 14 and working of income I get from my part-time job and combating home learning. Also being in the UK means I may have to wait a while for parts to come from over the Atlantic.

Let me know if you have any advice, can't wait to get started

Ollie

Alright little update, got the PS2 trimmed!
SAVE_20210202_195044.jpg

Did it a few weeks ago just got around to posting. Haven't sanded and cleaned it yet, probably gonna do that this weekend coming.

I chosen a new display, thanks to everyone on discord for the help with it.

I ordered a ps2-pms when they restocked about a week ago, wasn't logged in on BB though so now it only shows up in my emails and not on my purchases

As for my trim, it came out super well I'm proud of it. Trimmed a few mm outside the line for piece of mind, gonna take me a little while to sand that down.

Not started cad design as of yet, gonna take me a little while so I'll get started on that soon probably. As for the looks I want to make it look similar to the wii vision (not meaning to copy anyone's design, I hope no one minds just the internals kinda make sense for it to be that shape)

Got a few questions for you all if you can help:

- what gauge wire shall I use for power
- what's the best power supply for the Ps2-pms
- and finally has anyone got any advice for cad, never really done anything involving 3d printing and design before

That's all for now, probably gonna upload another work log in the month if I get anymore progress. (I was thinking of doing a video work log, maybe let's see)

Portables
Alright little update, got the PS2 trimmed!
View attachment 15813
Did it a few weeks ago just got around to posting. Haven't sanded and cleaned it yet, probably gonna do that this weekend coming.

I chosen a new display, thanks to everyone on discord for the help with it.

I ordered a ps2-pms when they restocked about a week ago, wasn't logged in on BB though so now it only shows up in my emails and not on my purchases

As for my trim, it came out super well I'm proud of it. Trimmed a few mm outside the line for piece of mind, gonna take me a little while to sand that down.

Not started cad design as of yet, gonna take me a little while so I'll get started on that soon probably. As for the looks I want to make it look similar to the wii vision (not meaning to copy anyone's design, I hope no one minds just the internals kinda make sense for it to be that shape)

Got a few questions for you all if you can help:

- what gauge wire shall I use for power
- what's the best power supply for the Ps2-pms
- and finally has anyone got any advice for cad, never really done anything involving 3d printing and design before

That's all for now, probably gonna upload another work log in the month if I get anymore progress. (I was thinking of doing a video work log, maybe let's see)
Looking forward to seeing more! Good job on the trim

I'm using 24awg wire for anything 7.5v/8.5v. You could probably get away with something much thinner though. For everything else I have 32-34awg wire.

I'm using one of those play and charge red boards so my power supply probably doesn't apply.

As for CAD, most people seem to recommend Fusion360 including myself. You can get it with an educational license if you are a student as well.

Hope that helps

Ollie

Looking forward to seeing more! Good job on the trim

I'm using 24awg wire for anything 7.5v/8.5v. You could probably get away with something much thinner though. For everything else I have 32-34awg wire.

I'm using one of those play and charge red boards so my power supply probably doesn't apply.

As for CAD, most people seem to recommend Fusion360 including myself. You can get it with an educational license if you are a student as well.

Hope that helps
Cheers for the advice

Ollie

small update, PS2-PMS arrived :awesome:.

also, apparently you get a bb sticker with it, that will be going on the back of the macbook :D

i'm gonna try and get it all wired up in the next few weeks or so, but next week schools are reopening here in the UK so that's gonna slow me down even more :\

this project is taking sooooooooo long due to the fact that i have loads of school work to do, actual work on weekends, and the fact that loads of parts i wanna use come from over the atlantic and there is about a month delay.

Ollie

UPDATE TIME!!

ps2 pms arrived and is connected!
I set it down on this piece of cardboard with a button.
16147210392531161294844313759118.jpg

Annnnnnnd that's where the good news ends.

I got direct shorts on pretty much all the voltage lines.

Resistances: (with the PS2 connected)
1v25: 0.04 ohm
1v8: 0.05 ohm
2v5: 0.03 ohm
3v3: 0.1 ohm
5v: 13.64 ohm

I heavily expect this is just due to my sanding, I'll give it a good go tommorow.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
attaching wires to it will make sanding it more difficult. Sanding and resistance test should come first after trimming. If you dont pass the resistance test, you could damage the ps2pms if you attempt to power it

Ollie

@Gman
I deliberately didn't power it in fear of that. You suggest I disconnect everything and start over?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
You might have to in order to sufficiently sand the board

Ollie

Update!
The 1v25, 1v75 and 2v5 are now behaving great after some sanding.

However I still have a flat short on 3v3.
I narrowed it down to this small component
IMG_20210303_190954.jpg

Ok so basically let me explain. When the component is attached, I get continuity between each side of it, and when removed I get continuity between each side of it. When removed, the side with the 3 vias is shorted to ground, and the other side has no continuity to ground. I'm kind off stuck here, should I just relocate voltage to the other points? Or is there a short I'm missing

Ollie

Ok I sanded a bit more and removed some of the components very close to the edges, and I think I've fixed it.
The resistance I'm now reading is:
1v25 - ~70
1v75 - ~55
2v5 - ~55
3v3- ~100

Am I safe to power the board now? I'm scared as crap to damage the pms

Portables
Ok I sanded a bit more and removed some of the components very close to the edges, and I think I've fixed it.
The resistance I'm now reading is:
1v25 - ~70
1v75 - ~55
2v5 - ~55
3v3- ~100

Am I safe to power the board now? I'm scared as crap to damage the pms
So just did an advanced trim myself and I'm fine with my sanding I can see the layers, I would say my multimeter is giving me the same sort of readings +/- some variation

Ollie

sorry for the delayed replies to everyone, we're back are school in the UK and ive got GCSEs next year and im trying to catch up with some of the stuff i missed over lockdown.

So just did an advanced trim myself and I'm fine with my sanding I can see the layers, I would say my multimeter is giving me the same sort of readings +/- some variation
yayyyyyyyy. right i should be okay to power the board now so ill try to order some batteries when i get the chance. on top of having no time anymore, im also saving most of my wages from my part time job so i can get a sweet mr2 when im seventeen :), so it may take me a while to get parts.

I am a complete noob to this. All of this that is. But I believe you can do it!
thanks so much XD

Portables
I know it's been a while, to update my board ran fine and still is running well. So make sure all those voltage locations are connected from the guide and you'll be set.

Ollie

Update.

I wired up the pms and screen. The board definitely boots now, I can feel the chips get hot, however I get nothing from my screen.

I'll post some photos later, still trying to troubleshoot

Ollie

Okay, I'm out of ideas now.

The PS2 boots, heats up, but I still get nothing from composite video. I tested my screen with a raspberry pi to rule that out, it worked fine, and the voltage points on the PS2 are all receiving correct current and voltage. I doubled up the 1v25 wire, since it draws lots of current, and shortened my other wires, but still nothing. Could this be a potential short circuit somewhere? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Portables
Okay, I'm out of ideas now.

The PS2 boots, heats up, but I still get nothing from composite video. I tested my screen with a raspberry pi to rule that out, it worked fine, and the voltage points on the PS2 are all receiving correct current and voltage. I doubled up the 1v25 wire, since it draws lots of current, and shortened my other wires, but still nothing. Could this be a potential short circuit somewhere? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Pics when you can, but by any chance did you remove the av caps? It has happened before for taking video from the av out connector but since it's a further spot down from the removed caps it wouldn't have video there.

** Actually one thing I did notice on your pics above is you didn't put the 5v line to the 5v side of the linear reg on the top of the board, that's a power point for the video chip. I know it only mentions on the standard trim to supply 2s LiPo power to the one side of the reg, but you need to still supply 5v to the 5v pin for the advanced trim, and the audio amp if you're using analog

Last edited:

Ollie

Thanks for your suggestions, the av caps are still on the board and I tried soldering to the input side of that capacitor anyway. With the 5v wiring, do I have to remove that linear regulator? Or just solder to the 5v side.