My First Portable Nintendo 64 - The "N64-2GO"

Portables
Hey everyone!

Brand new to this forum and wanted to show you all a project that I just completed and was interested in what y'all think.
Check out my walk-around video here:

As you can probably guess by now, it's an N64 Portable!

The enclosure and buttons are all 3d printed and i'm very pleased with how it came out.

Here's some additional specs of the unit:

- 7.4v 2-cell 5000mAh battery
- 3.5" composite lcd module
- Original N64 controller board and analog stick
- Expansion/Jumper pak slot
- Front facing Cartridge slot
- Dual z buttons (one on front and back of unit)
- 2 AC adapters (one for charging the unit and other for wall power so you can charge and play at the same time)
- 4 player breakout unit (for all your multiplayer needs)
- Analog video out
- Headphone jack (also used for tv audio)
- Memory card slot

Some additional pics:

Again, i'm really curious as to what you all think, so feel free to leave a reply!

Thank you!

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I do really like your breakout box. Putting the ports on either side is a good way to save space.

You also built screwposts into your case (which is more than I can say :oops:) so great job! Have any pictures of the insides?

Portables
Thanks so much for your kind reply! Unfortunately, I was too lazy to take a lot of pictures while I was building the unit lol. All I have are these two photos, however, it gives a pretty good idea of what everything looked like before it went into the 3d printed case!

This first photo shows off a prototype enclosure I rigged up just to see how everything would come together before I started the 3d printing process.

BocuD

Portables
I have to say, it looks really good for a first portable. The case is really nice and clean. And you also have batteries, something i had the space for but didnt do lol. Looking forward to see more of your projects!

Portables
I have to say, it looks really good for a first portable. The case is really nice and clean. And you also have batteries, something i had the space for but didnt do lol. Looking forward to see more of your projects!
Thank you so much!

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Hi, nice you found your way here from reddit :)
As said, dope first portable. I really like these breakout things, but I'm to lazy to implement one in my n64p :D

How about cooling? What type of heatsink did you use and how hot does it get? AFAIK the N64 doesn't need much, but you don't even seem to have some ventilation holes in ya case..

Portables
Hi, nice you found your way here from reddit :)
As said, dope first portable. I really like these breakout things, but I'm to lazy to implement one in my n64p :D

How about cooling? What type of heatsink did you use and how hot does it get? AFAIK the N64 doesn't need much, but you don't even seem to have some ventilation holes in ya case..
Thank you! I forgot to give you a big thanks for introducing me to this forum! After checking it out I realized it's the perfect place to post my project.

In regards to cooling, I cut small pieces of thin copper sheet and used those for my heatsinks. Like you said the N64 doesn't need much, well depending on the revision at least. I know some revisions of the mainboard do overheat but I've never experienced this problem with mine. I chose not to add vent holes in my enclosure because the components aren't too crammed together, and the case itself is very breathable due to the fact that the parts are screwed together as opposed to being epoxied or glued which would create a seal and trap the heat. I've played this unit for a few days now and have never had one crash. I can't detect any heat from the system when I'm holding it whatsoever.

Thanks again for telling me about the site!

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Do you have any thermal paste or pads between the heatsinks and the chips? If not, you probably should. Looks pretty cool, and if you ever build something else, don't be afraid to post a worklog!

Portables
Do you have any thermal paste or pads between the heatsinks and the chips? If not, you probably should. Looks pretty cool, and if you ever build something else, don't be afraid to post a worklog!
Oh of course, I reused the thermal pads that came with the original N64 heatsinks to help pull the heat up from the chips. And thank you, I plan on building another smaller version of this in the near future, complete with a worklog :D.