Worklog My first GCp

well.. I decided to to this worklog to show my first gamecube portable :F

In the begining I saw a lot of portables and i was really impressed with some of them but the're none that like me at all. I though.. "how can I make one different?" then, my light turns on and the 3ds xl appears in front of me and EUREKA! that will be my portable.

I'm making this think about 2 or 3 month cause here in chile is difficult to adquire specific things like regulators, batteries, screens (with a fair price). so, let's start.

i bought some gamecubes at much lower price (5000 clp that means 7.5 us)

starting to dissasembly and marking to cut with a dremmel.. I broke 1 mobo before to have the actual one ( the dremmel cut arround 30 cpu to gpu traces:c

I remember that i almost finished to cut (1 cm left) and CRASH! dremmel goes crazy because it touched another thing and that was the result lol. tried to bridge the pinouts but doesn't work (mabye can fix it later if it nott fried)

so this is the current one

and.... finnaly cutted :D

soldered temporally audio and video relocation

next to this, I started to relocate the bios and controllers, as you can see the cut was maximun safe cut and this was the result.

BIOS modular relocation ( you can change the bios battery if dies. the battery is a old HP netbook battery )

and also i make a modular controller rellocation that allows to connect a "multitap" via usb 3.0 to get 4 players and don't loose que multiplayer console feature

Testing the audio relocation (i broke it so need to get another one lol)

TIME TO RELAX! (always is good)

screen arrived and working

i have a little question about the screen.
i bought in aliexpress and the input voltage is 12v but i will a 7.4 battery pack. it will run with the zenloc's custom rerulator?

THIS... this will be the console once finished

viewind the dimensions of the mobo and the 3ds xl i figured that the shell is not bigger enough to handle the mobo, so I decided to cut again the my gc (OMGWTF cut ). this time i lost the controller modular relocation (need to search another part to solder it)

the dirty work has been done again, buy always with some saffelty (not much. im irresponsible, i know)

this is the result!. it fits perfectly, but need to modify que case and add some thickness (about 1 inch) because need to put the batteries, mobo and heatsink (again the hp netbook)

i need to modify the heatsink.. make it fit on the 3ds shell. need to bend the tube and cut the copper foil to add a new one to make it fit with cpu, gpu and memories.

and lastly this is the case addapted to gamecube C stick

so, this is the worklog at the moment.

I have a problems triyng to connect the wasp fusion through megadrive v6. i will explain it latter.
I have also problems with 1.9 volt regulator, i cannot make it work correctly. some have the correct diagram to
PTR08100WVD regulator? it will help me a lot.

i hope that you like it and undesrtand me cause my poor english.

have a nice day

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables

But on a more serious note, welcome to the site. I look forward to seeing how this project goes!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Looking cool! I also wanted to use a 3DS XL case for my GCp, but I didn't want to deal with the struggle of modifying it to add the required thickness, so I decided to 3D print the case from scratch :D
Good luck with your GCp :)

hahaha i printed a extension shell to the 3ds case. looks like this

little update..

I printed the extension shell for 3ds. mounted it and this is the result

WIN_20160402_11_09_06_Pro.jpg
WIN_20160402_11_09_42_Pro.jpg
WIN_20160402_11_10_01_Pro.jpg

I need create the Z button and will go on the top of the R trigger

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Lookin' good.

Looks great!
I was also going to ask about the size; in the first photo it looks like your printed part doesn't meet with the 3ds case?

Did you find out if your screen runs off the 7.4v battery yet?
(If not you might be able to bypass a regulator on the screens board?)

I have to also ask where you get your 3d printing done? Everywhere I've found in Santiago is carísimo!

Saludos!

Looks great!
I was also going to ask about the size; in the first photo it looks like your printed part doesn't meet with the 3ds case?

Did you find out if your screen runs off the 7.4v battery yet?
(If not you might be able to bypass a regulator on the screens board?)

I have to also ask where you get your 3d printing done? Everywhere I've found in Santiago is carísimo!

Saludos!
it doesn't fit cause isn't attached to 3ds case yet (need to put screws on it).

about the screen. nope i'm using for now the stock regulator and using the 12v line.

and finnaly I printed by myself ( i have my own 3d printer :p). asi que si necesitas imprimir algo podrias mandarme el modelo y llegar a algun arreglo (:.

now i'm fighting trying to get work the wasp fusion soldering it directly to cpu vias

UPDATE

I'm really getting mad with this.

wasp pusion its doesn't work for me

i record a videos showing the error...

sorry my english and my voice tone. i broke with my gf today

See in order

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Sorry to hear about that matey, that wench be no good for ye.

JacksonS

Portables
I love your use of connectors on the motherboard. It's a smart idea to make things easier for yourself.
Have you tried using a different FFC cable on your Wasp? Like one from a real Wii? It seems like those ones that come with the Wasp sometimes stop working.

NEW UPDATE

with the help of dream team on teamspeak (badass, ss and more) finally im stareting to resolve the problem.

the megadrive v6 (badass i'll kill you haha) doesn't have enough pressure to connect all the pines of FFC cable.

when I hard press sometimes start the GC boot like if haves the disc drive but get stuck until I release the pressure of MD (MegaDrive). If i go to the replay menu and press the MD, start to show "READING DISC" and the blue light comes on but sometimes i got the error "this drive couldn't be readed". I suppose the pressure is not equals in all ffc cable so, if you have an idea to how to make this ting harder would be nice. (i tested some hot glue and some tape over the ffc cable to get more pressure but nothing seems to work )

PS: a lot of pressure :XD:

This may be a shot in the dark, but why not clamp it down with a rubber clamp then, once you have sufficient pressure, epoxy it to the board to ensure that the pressure remains constant.