Worklog My first GC Portable!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Went to work today, completely redid all the controller ports connection which was a major PITA, but glad I did it. Instead of having multiple wires, I just daisy chained the 3.3v, 5v, and ground wires across the ports. I also used color-coded wires this time and used a thinner wire for the data lines. I think it looks a lot better now.
SdLhM6w.jpg

Went ahead and wired the WASP back up again too, so got that working. I noticed rumble isn't working, and it turns out 5v isn't getting to the other side of the board. No continuity from the power connector to the relocation point for the controller ports or the disk drive pins. Might have to manually wire that up but I'll have to troubleshoot more tomorrow and see if I can identify where the problem is. I'm not sure if 5v is rerequired for the memory card to function so it may or may not be necessary (edit: it's not). By way, is it normal for the voltages to read lower than normal while the cube is running? Plan for the weekend is getting the memory card wired up as well as the bios battery. Might hook the screen up too at least to just test it. Will do some more cable organizing when I put it back in the case but I want to finish all the work on the bottom side of the board first. Not sure where I'm going to place the regulator in the case yet so I don't know how long to keep the wires for it. Anyway here's the current state of the project.
8YqM82k.jpg xaRhQDi.jpg

Last edited:

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
is it normal for the voltages to read lower than normal while the cube is running
It is normal to see a voltage drop when you connect a load(in this case the GC) but it depends on how big of a drop. I'm not super familiar with the GC so I can't tell you what is normal to expect, but as long as it isn't significantly different then you have nothing to fear.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I've been working at it but I'm afraid I've run into some issues..

I first wired up the memory card today. It worked the first time I tested it however it stopped working and I have no idea why.. I can sometimes see the memory card in the memory card menu but when I boot into a game it says the memory card is damaged and cannot be used. I checked continuity for every pin and they were all connected to the proper spots. 3.3v and GND where they needed to be. Couldn't find any shorts either. Here's what I've got and the picture I used for reference..
4Z9KiO1.jpg 4.png

Wired up the driver board for the screen as well. Haven't plugged in the screen yet (had a question about how the flex cable plugged in, didn't want to damage it lol). However the problem is I'm now getting some interference on my video signal when using my external AV connector. This never happened until today when I wired up the driver board. The only other thing that I did was change the orientation of my cables from the regulator to the power connector pins (see last picture) which I suppose puts the power lines near the composite video line. Here's a pic of my video wiring, the bottom wires are composite video.
4Z9KiO1.jpg

I did have one success today and fixed the 5v line by just wiring 5v directly from the regulator to the screen/rumble wiring on the controller ports. These issues are very frustrating though especially when I do not know what's causing them. If anyone has any advice, please feel free to throw some ideas out there. Here's a pic of my setup as of right now.
Fd6HPbQ.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Try pulling up on the memcard wires on the board. There may not be any obvious shorts but if an exposed part of the wire hits one of the nearby vias, who knows what they are and what they do. If that doesn't work, then your best option is to redo/shorten your memcard wires. And if you go that route, take a second to try testing the memory card in a stock GC again to verify it's still working okay. That'll at least verify that the problem is with the wiring or the GC and not the card.

As for video, I'm not sure if Ashen's relocation points are the furthest in the line in relation to how many filtering components are left on, but aside from using an alternate point there are a few things you can do:
1. Use shielded wire for power going to the screen
2. Use shielded wire for composite going to the screen
3. Use shielded wire for composite going to the A/V port

Shielded wire is the best for reducing interference on all of it. I know it sounds weird to also use it for power, but it's usually where the problem is. If you don't have any on hand, the best wire to use is official Nintendo AV cable wire. Don't use an offbrand one, the shielding is not as good. If you only have one good cable, you can always just cut out a section, and then rewire the ends back together. Most of my AV cables are a few inches shorter 'cause I've been doing that for years.

Last edited:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I've had issues with interference when the cables to my screen got near my regulators in my gcp, even when they were shielded. So definitely try moving those away from your regs lol. I'm squishing the regs in my wiip into an awkward corner so they are as far away from my video signal as possible.

Most of my AV cables are a few inches shorter 'cause I've been doing that for years.
Lol I have a 1ft long double ended AV cable that only has one plug (as in, only V). I use it for testing consoles. XD

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Try pulling up on the memcard wires on the board. There may not be any obvious shorts but if an exposed part of the wire hits one of the nearby vias, who knows what they are and what they do. If that doesn't work, then your best option is to redo/shorten your memcard wires. And if you go that route, take a second to try testing the memory card in a stock GC again to verify it's still working okay. That'll at least verify that the problem is with the wiring or the GC and not the card.

As for video, I'm not sure if Ashen's relocation points are the furthest in the line in relation to how many filtering components are left on, but aside from using an alternate point there are a few things you can do:
1. Use shielded wire for power going to the screen
2. Use shielded wire for composite going to the screen
3. Use shielded wire for composite going to the A/V port

Shielded wire is the best for reducing interference on all of it. I know it sounds weird to also use it for power, but it's usually where the problem is. If you don't have any on hand, the best wire to use is official Nintendo AV cable wire. Don't use an offbrand one, the shielding is not as good. If you only have one good cable, you can always just cut out a section, and then rewire the ends back together. Most of my AV cables are a few inches shorter 'cause I've been doing that for years.
I've had issues with interference when the cables to my screen got near my regulators in my gcp, even when they were shielded. So definitely try moving those away from your regs lol. I'm squishing the regs in my wiip into an awkward corner so they are as far away from my video signal as possible.

Lol I have a 1ft long double ended AV cable that only has one plug (as in, only V). I use it for testing consoles. XD
Thanks for the tips, I'll put some tape down by the memory card relocation points to insulate from the vias, rewire if needed, and see how that goes.

For the video relocation point, I remember reading that that point doesn't skip over any components, plus I never had any issues before adding in the driver board. I'll try some shielded wire when I get home.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Ok quick little mini update
Removed all the wiring from the memory card. Tested it on console, the memory card worked perfectly. Put some kapton tape to insulate the wire from the vias (although I don't think the wires were touching the vias anyway but just to be safe..). Rewired all the connections and the memory card is back in business! (Hopefully it stays that way).

Edit: Got the memory card error again... WTF!
20170402_172355.jpg hbCW5dB.jpg

So now onto my current issues.. Before I worry about getting shielded wire set up, I tested to see if the screen was working and it's not. I removed the connection from the 5v line and wired the 12v input to the regulator straight to the 12v input to the screen. Removed the composite connection too to see if I could just get the blue screen indicating power was going to the screen. I checked that both the 12v input and the 5v location are both getting power but I saw nothing on the screen. Turned my desk lamp on and I can very faintly see that the screen is on. I have no idea why it's so dim though. Gman and I have been troubleshooting for awhile and I feel like I've tried everything. He said he tested it before shipping it to me. Seems that the backlight isn't working. Anyone have any ideas?
NnMG9eA.jpg z8PHREI.jpg E6WCG5M.jpg

Last edited:

JacksonS

Portables
You backlight isn't working, as you said. I'm not familiar with that board so I don't know where the backlight step-up regulator is or how to troubleshoot it.
But I have had this issue once because the part of the LCD flex cable carrying power for the backlight broke. Check your LCD's flex cable at this point to see if it's damaged.
Inkedz8PHREI_LI.jpg

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
You backlight isn't working, as you said. I'm not familiar with that board so I don't know where the backlight step-up regulator is or how to troubleshoot it.
But I have had this issue once because the part of the LCD flex cable carrying power for the backlight broke. Check your LCD's flex cable at this point to see if it's damaged.
View attachment 2011
Took a look at it and it appears to be fine.
v4Pb1rB.png

Last edited:

Bakuku

Portables
Try to resolder the two wires. They might have a weak solder joint.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Well the joint was only covered by tape so I very carefully lifted it and touched up the joint just to make sure.. It had no effect.
mZ64Dw6.jpg

Also if anyone has any suggestions as to why the memory card stopped working again I'm all ears.. It shows up in the GC menu but when starting a game it says it's damaged and can't be used. When I flipped the system so that the heatsink was facing up that's when it stopped working but I checked again none of the wires are touching and there's no continuity between any of them.. Maybe it's crosstalk..? I'm using 32g magnet wire. And this is after I removed all the wire, tested the card on a stock GC, put insulating tape over all the surrounding vias, and rewired the whole thing..
20170404_102029.jpg

Last edited:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Also if anyone has any suggestions as to why the memory card stopped working again I'm all ears.. It shows up in the GC menu but when starting a game it says it's damaged and can't be used. When I flipped the system so that the heatsink was facing up that's when it stopped working but I checked again none of the wires are touching and there's no continuity between any of them.. Maybe it's crosstalk..? I'm using 32g magnet wire. And this is after I removed all the wire, tested the card on a stock GC, put insulating tape over all the surrounding vias, and rewired the whole thing..
It could be that one of the wires is touching another pin on the mobo instead of on the mem card. Also check that they are continuous to the points they are soldered to, just in case one of them isn't making a good connection. If you're sure it's wired up right, you could try using slightly larger wire. I would think 32gauge would be okay as long as it's not used for power or ground, but if everything else seems good that would be my next guess. I think the smallest I use for anything is 30 gauge so I'm not positive

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
It could be that one of the wires is touching another pin on the mobo instead of on the mem card. Also check that they are continuous to the points they are soldered to, just in case one of them isn't making a good connection. If you're sure it's wired up right, you could try using slightly larger wire. I would think 32gauge would be okay as long as it's not used for power or ground, but if everything else seems good that would be my next guess. I think the smallest I use for anything is 30 gauge so I'm not positive
I'm pretty confident there's no shorts and that there's good connection.. I used thicker wire for power and ground as you can see. Maybe I'll try 24g magnet wire as that's the second smallest I have...

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
I've been fiddling with LCD backlights a ton recently, so I might be able to help out. If you have a benchtop power supply, try pumping 18V into those pins. Maybe some magnet wire onto the driver board if you can find continuity to some vias or pads (obviously don't solder anything to the actual ribbon cable!) Or just hold wires onto those connections you touched up.

If you're desperate, or just cheap like me, pop open that LCD and check out the LED backlight to see if it's damaged or burned out. It's easy and educational, just make sure you put the plastic sheets back in the same way afterwards.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I am unsure if this is a fault with the screen or something you are doing wrong. But I do know the screen worked as expected before I sent you it so please don't do anything to absolutely break it!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I am unsure if this is a fault with the screen or something you are doing wrong. But I do know the screen worked as expected before I sent you it so please don't do anything to absolutely break it!
I was about to say.. taking it apart seems pretty extreme especially because I don't know if I would be able to properly put it back together. I'm certainly not the expert on this so I would not be comfortable doing that. However I am just about out of ideas as I have triple checked every connection. :(

Bakuku

Portables
Most likely not, and FFCs are touchy when it comes to heat. If you take it off, I doubt you'll be able to get it back on undamaged.
I've had to do it a lot of times and didn't have any issues. Of cource that depends on your soldering skills. Worst case the cables are disconnected on the inside of the metal shielding for the actual LCD screen. That will require you open it up and carefully disassemble that part amd putting it back together.

@jefflongo
Try connecting the memcard directly to the vias and of cource on an other working gamecube. It might just be broken.
Wasn't there a way to format memcards as well?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I've had to do it a lot of times and didn't have any issues. Of cource that depends on your soldering skills. Worst case the cables are disconnected on the inside of the metal shielding for the actual LCD screen. That will require you open it up and carefully disassemble that part amd putting it back together.

@jefflongo
Try connecting the memcard directly to the vias and of cource on an other working gamecube. It might just be broken.
Wasn't there a way to format memcards as well?
Well I'm pretty sure the memory card is functioning as when I removed it the first time I put it in a working GameCube and it was working. Do you know where I can find a pinout of the vias I need? It's probably easier than soldering to the IC.. The memory card has nothing on it anyway.

Is the screen getting the proper amount of amps? @jefflongo
I'm using 26g wire which I assume would be fine as I don't think I could solder a larger wire to the pins on the driver board. The wire is coming directly from the regulator so it should be fine.