Worklog My first ever build: the ashida

I have a question for y'all. Should I individually solder the data lines for the ashida pcb set or should i get the ribbon connector? I would like to make this as easy as possible as I am pretty new to this kind of stuff.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I would say that running the wires is probably easier than soldering the ribbon connector, but both of those options are a cakewalk compared to some of the tougher Wii soldering. I'd say the ribbon cable is worth it for the cleanest internals, otherwise just wires will work fine.

Quick question. I know Ive probably already asked this but i just wanna be completely sure. So for wiring the wii up to the pms lite I would use my 26 awg to attach the 1v, GND, 3.3v etc. and i would use 34 awg magnet wire to hook up U10, scw, and scd

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
I wouldn't use anything thinner than 22awg for GND with a minimum of 2 GNDs on the Wii motherboard. All other power 1.0v 1.15v, 3.3v and 5v can all be 26awg.

Then for all data connections you can use up to 34awg magnet wire.

For more details. Check out this wonderful guide to Wii trims put together by our local sage GingerOfOz:
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.p...ve-wii-trimming-and-troubleshooting-faq.2385/

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Quick question. I know Ive probably already asked this but i just wanna be completely sure. So for wiring the wii up to the pms lite I would use my 26 awg to attach the 1v, GND, 3.3v etc. and i would use 34 awg magnet wire to hook up U10, scw, and scd
I wouldn't use anything thinner than 22awg for GND with a minimum of 2 GNDs on the Wii motherboard. All other power 1.0v 1.15v, 3.3v and 5v can all be 26awg.

Then for all data connections you can use up to 34awg magnet wire.

For more details. Check out this wonderful guide to Wii trims put together by our local sage GingerOfOz:
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.p...ve-wii-trimming-and-troubleshooting-faq.2385/
That guide is a little outdated, nowdays we recommend using 22AWG stranded wire for the Wii voltage connections as well as GND. We've had numerous users complain about instability when using 26 and 24AWG wire for carrying Wii voltage, especially when using 6 layer boards. For general safety and to save troubleshooting steps, you should use 22AWG wire for the Wii voltage and GND connections

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
That's good to know. My next portable will be all 22awg wire then!

Thanks Stitches.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
26AWG wire is perfectly fine for powering smaller components like the screen, GC+, and U-Amp. Feel free to use the smaller wire there to save some space and make routing easier

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Those joints are quite cold. What temp have you set your iron to?

Portables
Does it matter that you trimmed off the 4th screw hole for the ashida mount? Not sure how that effects the mounting to the heat syncs.

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Does it matter that you trimmed off the 4th screw hole for the ashida mount? Not sure how that effects the mounting to the heat syncs.
Should be fine having 3 of the 4 posts screwed down. It will still have good pressure against the heat syncs.

Portables
Should be fine having 3 of the 4 posts screwed down. It will still have good pressure against the heat syncs.
Does it not matter if the pressure is un-even? I'd have a hard time guessing the same tightness on each screw.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Does it not matter if the pressure is un-even? I'd have a hard time guessing the same tightness on each screw.
Nah not really. Even pressure is better than uneven pressure in general, but the Wii CPU isn't like a modern consumer CPU that needs to be smushed into the socket by the cooler to make proper contact. As long as there is contact to transfer heat, it's fine

Those joints are quite cold. What temp have you set your iron to?
650 degrees Fahrenheit. Also screwed up my first wii because i was being stupid and decided i was skilled enough to just solder to the u10 via without practice and then this happened will update after i trim my backup wii later.

Attachments

Last edited:
Finished trimming my wii. Was not as clean as my og wii. Any tips for practicing to solder to u10

Attachments

Last edited: