Worklog My 4th PS2 Portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
This one is a commission based around the Datamax case. I have had this case sitting for a while and the buyer wanted a bigger screen so finally got a chance to use it. This is a 5.6 inch screen. It says the minimum voltage is 9v online, hopefully it'll run off of 7.4v although I have my doubts, in which case I either need a 11.1v pack or a step-up regulator. The shoulder buttons will be original ps2 ones frankencased on the bottom of the case.

The case was created by cutting out the face of the datamax case, replacing it with a plastic sheet which I had used an xacto blade to cut out the screen cut and then the controller buttons frankencased in too. So a gallon of super glue, a pound of JB steelstik, and a pound of bondo later and this is where I'm at.

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Update: Finished painting the front. Mounted buttons and wired up the controller. I will finish painting the back once I finalize the heatsink/fan situation which I havent started on motherboard work yet. With all my Wii stuff I've been working on, I really have to force myself to sit down and work on this. It's coming along slowly but surely :D

Attachments

Alvaro

Portables
Gman, so I am wondering if I could comission you or could you help me make a portable. I am choosing a ps one screen. Do you have any diagrams?

Alvaro

Portables
@Gman got you, how would I go about wiring. I would prefer to commission you can you talk to me on skype? Skype: lolbossyman

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
@Gman got you, how would I go about wiring. I would prefer to commission you can you talk to me on skype? Skype: lolbossyman
I am very busy right now and this is a pretty simple task. The car reverse monitors need simply 3 wires. Power, Ground, and Video in.

Alvaro

Portables
@Gman gotchu. Never really got a explanation what ground actually did, could you tell me and why it matters. Thanks. Also ground is the copper around the wire on the screen bc i was making a mini arcade with that and I fucked the screen up somehow, maybe because I didnt do ground (noobie).

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
@Gman gotchu. Never really got a explanation what ground actually did, could you tell me and why it matters. Thanks. Also ground is the copper around the wire on the screen bc i was making a mini arcade with that and I fucked the screen up somehow, maybe because I didnt do ground (noobie).
Ground, earth, 0v.. it is all saying the same thing. It is the reference node of a circuit, (sometimes) the negative terminal of a battery. Ground is necessary to make a complete circuit, without a complete circuit, there is no current. Yes, ground is often used as the shielding around a wire to protect it from interference. I may not be the best at explaining concepts like this so if you are confused, I'm sure you could find a better explanation online.

Alvaro

Portables
@Gman so what your saying is that the copper around the wire would have to be soldered to ground on the tft. Also could you tell me if you could ever make me a ps2p as you are busy, when you have free time.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
@Gman so what your saying is that the copper around the wire would have to be soldered to ground on the tft. Also could you tell me if you could ever make me a ps2p as you are busy, when you have free time.
Yes the copper shielding needs to make a complete circuit with both a ground from the system and the ground on the screen. Ps2 portables are very time consuming to build and I am already working on one so it could be some time before I'm free to build anymore. I would still highly suggest trying to build one yourself. It brings great self-satisfaction to be able to play on a portable you built yourself.

Prince

I have a question about what power source to use. I’m using a 79000 (JPN-standard volts is 100v) so can I just hook (cable and solder) the battery to the power board then to the dc on the ps2?

I know the system needs 8.5v, but I made the case so that I don’t have to do anything to the motherboard.

What is the most suitable method?

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
I have a question about what power source to use. I’m using a 79000 (JPN-standard volts is 100v) so can I just hook (cable and solder) the battery to the power board then to the dc on the ps2?

I know the system needs 8.5v, but I made the case so that I don’t have to do anything to the motherboard.

What is the most suitable method?
Please don't bump old threads. If you have a question make a new thread.

Please read the rules before posting.

I'm locking this thread, if you need it unlocked for whatever reason, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.