Question MX chip neccessary components

ruumoo

I'm planning to compleatly desolder the MX-Chip, and placing it on my own PCB, but after working through the OMGWTF guide as well as the conpendium, I'm still not sure what components are actually needed for it to run.
My guess is, that you need the big 4pin package with the two small caps aswell as the small 2 pin package on the bottom with it two caps for current limiting.

Can someone confirm this / tell me what i can remove and what I have to transplant to my own PCB?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The 4 pin with the caps is the clock crystal, those are needed for the chip to work at all. The stuff on the bottom (resistor, diode, cap) are for current limiting for the real time clock battery. That's all you need, but make sure to hook up power/ground to all the pins that have it connected on the Wii, I'm pretty sure they aren't connected internally

ruumoo

The 4 pin with the caps is the clock crystal, those are needed for the chip to work at all. The stuff on the bottom (resistor, diode, cap) are for current limiting for the real time clock battery. That's all you need, but make sure to hook up power/ground to all the pins that have it connected on the Wii, I'm pretty sure they aren't connected internally
Ok thanks for the quick answer, the combined knowlege on this site is truely amazing. I never thought about it, but do you need a coin cell when you want to use the mx chip after relocating?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Ok thanks for the quick answer, the combined knowlege on this site is truely amazing. I never thought about it, but do you need a coin cell when you want to use the mx chip after relocating?
That's only used to keep track of the date and time which is used in a couple games, like animal crossing

ruumoo

That's only used to keep track of the date and time which is used in a couple games, like animal crossing
Sure, but isn't that the whole reason to transplant the mx chip? So is a MX chip without a coin cell even usefull at all?