Multi-Purpose wire for G-Boy wiring?

I'm trying to get materials together to build a G-Boy, but I'm also on a budget. The store page for the kit recommends 3 different kinds of wire, but that sounds more expensive than I'd like it to be. Can any experienced modders recommend one type of wire that I should use throughout the project, or should I bite the bullet and buy all 3 kinds?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
There's no getting around the fact that you will need multiple types of wire. The guide suggests this for a reason. I mean, a spool of wire is like $5. Pretty insignificant big-picture-wise.

You must have 22 AWG wire for the power rails. Thinner wire won't carry enough current. You don't want to use this for other things because of how thick it is, it will make the case very messy.
You must have magnet wire. Soldering to the vias and other small components are impossible without it.
You can probably get away without using the 30awg wrapping wire, but it will make your build a lot cleaner with it.

Trust me, it can all go to shit if you don't use the suggested wire gauges.

IE
medumb.png

Thanks for your advice guys, and sorry for the stupid question. I'm still new to electronics.

No worries, at least you asked before doing what I did in the picture lol

Especially when it comes to working with electronics and stuff like this, no question is a stupid question. You always want to make sure that you know exactly what you’re doing before you actually do it, for a variety of reasons, which is why you’ll often see people who have been around here for a while before doing any really crazy stuff.