Model Mini-Keyboard Mounting Solution

Ideal button placement/controller layout?

• Analog Sticks below, digital buttons left and right (original mounting position on DualShocks)

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Analog sticks left and right, buttons below

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Complete split left and right (Think PS-Vita with screen->keyboard)

• Controls above keyboard (Like the Xbox chatpad)

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Controls below keyboard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

• Total voters
It has come to my attention that I still have a lot of keyboards.

The only reasonable explanation I have come up with (considering how amazing these keyboards are) is that people are discouraged to order keyboards and use them for lack of a good, reproducible mounting solution.

@Luke had a fantastic franken-cased implementation, but seems to have abandoned that project.

I tried my own hand at a parametric faceplate, but it's admittedly pretty garbage.

So here's take three:

IMG_20180301_184552.jpg

IMG_20180301_184537.jpg

IMG_20180301_184623.jpg

I would like to know though: Were I (or you) to make a controller around this keyboard, what would the best layout be?

For visual aid, here is the original layout:

Luke

Portables
@Luke had a fantastic franken-cased implementation, but seems to have abandoned that project.
You guys know that feel, when you're worried that something won't turn out perfect and so it discourages you from completing it?

:(

My woes are the same as they have been for some time... trying to fit that 4.3" screen into the upper half of a standard 3ds without it looking like crap and with some new hinge system since the old one won't fit. Everything else is trivial. I'll try to put some work into it soon.

Here's a mock-up of a split design:
Controller 1 v2.png

For scale, the area included for the screen would accommodate a run-of-the-mill 4.3" LCD.

Anyone have thoughts on this layout? It seems like it would be comfortable, and it's fairly compact. 142mm across.

I'll add more concept models as I make them.

Luke

Portables
Is this supposed to be for a specific system, or a generic design? I'm not too fond of the left control stick being so close to the bottom, I can't imagine how that would be comfortable to use, unless you were able to make the whole thing very light so you could comfortably hold it that close to the bottom. Looks pretty cool overall.

Is this supposed to be for a specific system, or a generic design? I'm not too fond of the left control stick being so close to the bottom, I can't imagine how that would be comfortable to use, unless you were able to make the whole thing very light so you could comfortably hold it that close to the bottom. Looks pretty cool overall.
This is intended to be generalized. I'll probably make a portable around this though; I do like the idea of something like the GPD Win or Dragonbox Pyra.

Would you have the left stick and d-pad be swapped?

Luke

Portables
I personally would, although I think your layout can be pulled off if it isn't quiiiite so close to the bottom. That's my opinion. One thing I might consider is that these things can get to be heavy, and particularly portrait style layouts can be a bit top heavy, so consider that you wouldn't want to have to hold it too close to the bottom.

Here's a mock-up of a split design:
View attachment 5310
For scale, the area included for the screen would accommodate a run-of-the-mill 4.3" LCD.
This mock-up made me feel feelings I didn’t know were possible. I would love to make a pi zero portable based around this design if you released some 3d printable files... of course that would involve buying a keyboard or two. Whats the going rate of your keyboards these days?

Luke

Portables
Ayyy a customer! lol

Why a pi zero if there's clearly room for a full pi 2/3?

Ayyy a customer! lol

Why a pi zero if there's clearly room for a full pi 2/3?
In the past I would frequent microcenter a lot when they sold pi zeros for a dollar each. I Ended up with a bunch because of this and don't currently have any 2 or 3s on hand. Also I don't emulate much more than snes on pis so i just go with pi zeros. Why have all that extra processing power if I’m not gonna use it? :P

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
That mockup does look pretty decent for a pi portable. You ought to make one, people love to use already-made resources to make their own copy of a pi portable project.