microSD connection to computer not working

I am at the end of the USB-C PCB wiring step where you test if the microSD can connect to a computer. When I plug the USB-C cord into my computer, the drive intermittently is connected. The computer continually plays the connect and disconnect sound. I've checked and reworked all of the soldering points and the microSD drive connects properly when directly connected to my computer. How do I troubleshoot this?

I was messing around some more, and I noticed that the microSD does not connect to my computer with one battery cell in the gboy. If I take the battery out without changing anything else, the connection is intermittent as described above. Could this be an issue with the PMS as a change in power supply changes the situation?

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
This is likely a cable issue, are you using a USB-C to USB-C cable or a USB-C to USB-A?

I find the latter to be more reliable for data transfer and also try flipping the USB-C connection the opposite direction on the G-Boy side and see if that makes any improvement.

I was using a usb-c to usb-c cable. No improvement was made by flipping the connections. When I tried a usb-c to usb-a, the connection was also intermittent but at an infrequent interval. The microSD would show up for a split second and then disappear for ~1-8 seconds.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
As a final test, are you able to purchase a USB-A to Micro/C connector and try? something similar to this:

I've had similar issues to you in the past and using one of these cables works 100% for me.

I actually had one on hand. Tried it and it connects intermittently in the same way as the usb-c to usb-a cable.

Did you ever come up with a solution for this? I'm having the exact same symptoms.

Yeah my 5v (green wire) was wired incorrectly on the PMS. I had it soldered to a vsys point, i believe.

Interesting. My 5V wire is going to 5V on both sides, got good continuity. VSYS is also good. I'll keep digging.

Re-ran all wires (except charge and gnd) with 26awg wire, sd card works now. Not sure what caused the problem, all things ohm'd out good. Very happy it's working now.

Hello, modding community! I am a modder, that wants to make a g-boy, but lives in Russia. I have a few questions: can the assembly kit go to location this far away fro USA, and how long Will it take, to deliver? Please reply soon!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Hello, modding community! I am a modder, that wants to make a g-boy, but lives in Russia. I have a few questions: can the assembly kit go to location this far away fro USA, and how long Will it take, to deliver? Please reply soon!
We ship USPS 1st class international, it should deliver anywhere. I imagine it will take a few weeks once it is shipped.

Thank you for your reply! And I have one more question: will you send me a tracking number for the parcel, other wise how can I trace my package