melee custom gcc motherboard

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
so i saw this on youtube and i was intrigued:
from what i can gather it’s a custom gcc controller with modifications made for high level melee. they seem really expensive at $250 for each board. i don’t really know much about melee, so could someone with more knowledge than me explain what advantages this has over a standard gcc or even the gc+ ?

I actually came back over to this forum after a year or so to discuss about this as well.

From a Melee standpoint, this motherboard's main advantage (for your average low-mid level player) is being able to reach a 1 or -1 from my understanding. It can give you a faster initial dash and slightly effect DI. I don't play melee as much as ultimate but from my understanding that is one of the major benefits. Another big thing is the control of snapback and easier u-tilts. I see the usage in easy uptilts (as compared to a jump) as I have lots of trouble u-tilting in melee.

Also, button remapping is great for some people who don't like the default controls.

EDIT: I am also looking to find where the video author gets his pots from so if anybody knows, let me know!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
The main advantage for competitive melee is definitely the angle calibration/angle correction compared to a stock controller. GC+ was created to solve a different problem: creating a controller emulator in a small package. I question the legality of this controller based on the first few points.

Noah

retired
Portables
$250 is absolutely insane to be completely honest. If he's using OShitPark for his boards he should really look into JLC, they would probably do 10 for $5 lmao

Can't imagine why anyone would pay that much for this, you can build an entire portable for less.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
$250 is absolutely insane to be completely honest. If he's using OShitPark for his boards he should really look into JLC, they would probably do 10 for $5 lmao

Can't imagine why anyone would pay that much for this, you can build an entire portable for less.
From his website:
The starting price for these controllers with my motherboards will be $200 and will include lubed triggers, shield drop notches and the Goomwave DX motherboard, with it costing more if you want additional mods.
That's his price for a board installed in a controller, as well as notching services. So cost of board, cost of controller (gamecube controllers have become very expensive), cost of labor for cleaning/assembly, and cost of labor for notching. As someone who's roommate mods gamecube controllers for a living, that price is not unreasonable for a small scale operation. Goomy isn't a giant business able to utilize economies of scale for large production runs, he's a modder like us.

Noah

retired
Portables
From his website:

That's his price for a board installed in a controller, as well as notching services. So cost of board, cost of controller (gamecube controllers have become very expensive), cost of labor for cleaning/assembly, and cost of labor for notching. As someone who's roommate mods gamecube controllers for a living, that price is not unreasonable for a small scale operation. Goomy isn't a giant business able to utilize economies of scale for large production runs, he's a modder like us.
I had a look myself, GC controllers that would be viable candidates can be found on the first page of eBay results for under $30. I'm not saying that he's not doing a lot of work or that his work doesn't warrant a higher cost due to labor, but there's no way the BOM to build one of these is even over $60 including the controller unless he's using OSH. People can charge whatever they want for their product, that's their right! But if it's possibly not even legal as Jeff said then criticism is definitely warranted and like we saw with the G-Boy people who will never purchase this (myself included) can still voice their opinions because why not.

Full disclosure I have 0 interest in smash so I really don't know how the prices go for modded controllers, but the fact that you could get a ASCII GC controller, or a switch lite, or a GCLoader and GCDual for less than this is pretty crazy to me.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I dont know a lot about smash either. What is the point of mechanically knotched controller if his custom pcb can do knotched emulation?

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
I dont know a lot about smash either. What is the point of mechanically knotched controller if his custom pcb can do knotched emulation?
It looks more legit for when you bring it to your local competition so you don't get thrown out.

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
Notches are legal in Melee and Ult. I play with a box controller and nobody minds.
Yeah; I was saying that putting notches on the case makes it look more legit when you have firmware hacks versus not.

@Qaztech Hold up I have a friend that sells brand new Panasonic pots. I somehow completely forgot about him sorry lool