Worklog MasterNate's First Wii Portable

Back to the charge and play circuit. Is the 6 point switch at the top just a two way on-on switch, or is it a three setting on-off-on switch ? My instincts tell me two but i just want to be completely sure.

Last edited:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Would this switch work?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pcs-3A...8760&wl11=online&wl12=189379520&wl13=&veh=sem
It says it is rated for 12v and 3A, but i will have a max of 14.8v and 6A in my circuit. Will that still be safe?

Also, does it matter if it is made for ac or dc current?
Wait what? 14.8v x 6A = 88.8watts. There's no way a portable is going to draw that. Just because your batteries are able to supply that doesn't mean that's how many watts your wii will draw. Your portable will only draw as much current (amps) as it needs.

Watts = Volts x Amps
If your wii is about 10w and you're feeding it 14.8v, then 10w / 14.8v= about 0.7 amps. If you were to lower the voltage, the current draw would rise to keep it at the same overall power draw. This is a bit of an oversimplification, and also doesn't account for your screen etc, but it gives you an idea of how much power you're going to use.

W=va is called Ohm's Law and you should definitely read up on it and the other basics of electricity. It will help you calculate how much battery life you'll get, and whether a pcb can supply enough electricity to power something. It's an essential tool if you're working with electrical projects.

I know it wont draw all of that. I am just saying a max of each value. I know they both will not be that big. I am just giving a max voltage and a max current that can possibly be produced. Not both high values at the same time.

So would that switch be fine?

Finally bought everything I need for this wii portable (except the control buttons). The grand total comes to....... actually, I will just wait till I completely finish it. I probably forgot one or two things.

But now, all I need are the plastic control buttons. Not the physical tact switches, but just the buttons. I am a bit cramped for space. So, I am wondering what control scheme takes up less space? Does the gamecube abxy button system take up less space or does the nintendo ds abxy button take up less space?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
The DS buttons will definitely take up less left and right space.

Would the ds be the smallest buttons with that control scheme? I was thinking about using a ds replacement shell for harvesting buttons, but they have really bad triggers and not enough of them. I was thinking about using a ps1 controller. Somebody recommended it to me on this site, I just can't remember who. Would a ps1 configuration still be more space efficient than a gamecube control scheme?

It has beem awhile since i posted, but i have been out of town for a couple weeks. But my case finally came in, but i have a problem. There are a bunch of screw posts in my case that do not connect to anything, and i want to remove them. What should i do to get rid of them?

Screenshot_20170720-154520.png

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
You could tear them out with your teeth. Is there a reason you don't want to Dremel? You could also probably drill them down.

I just dont want to accidentally cut a hole in the side of my case. But i will do my best at dremelling. I will ppst a pic once i get the posts out.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Just go slowly and don't use a lot of force. You'll be fine!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Instead of a Dremel cutting disk you can use a sanding barrel. Takes a bit longer than a disk, but it still eats through plastic fairly quickly. Plus if you slip you might scuff up the inside of your case rather than slicing a hole in it. Alternatively, if you have some rugged wire snips you could probably lop them off like a pair of scissors. That would probably be the harder route.

Snapchat-2009713419.jpg

I ended up just drilling out the screw posts. It was very easy and didnt damage my case at all.

And @fibbef, i did use a sanding barrel at first, but it was harder.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Oh man - I saw those needle nose pliers and thought you were about to say you just ripped out the screwposts. My heart started beating faster because that's a GREAT way to tear holes in your case. I'm glad your method worked for you!