Worklog MasterNate's First Wii Portable

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
That wire touches two points on purpose.

So do i need to buy two chargers? Do i need both ports to be plugged in at the same time? Could i get away with using one charger?

GC64

Portables
So do i need to buy two chargers? Do i need both ports to be plugged in at the same time? Could i get away with using one charger?
I already explained this :/
One of them is a charger for your batteries (the one labeled 8.4v) and the other is a power supply (labeled 7.5v). At the moment you can't charge your batteries and play using one charger; that's why you have the power supply, so that you can power the system while you use the charger to charge the batteries. Therefore, to utilize the "charge and play" feature, you have to have one charger and one power supply, and both must be plugged in at the same time.

So would I need a charger that can supply enough current to power everything for the charge and play feature? (Around 5A)

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
You would need a power supply with enough amps. I'm pretty sure 5 amps is VERY unhealthy for most batteries...

Edit: Along with a standardcharger, I thought that was claer.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
No, in this design you need 2 power supplies, one is a charger for the battery, and the other is powering the console.

How many amps would i need for each charger? Are there any systems that use one charger for both functions?

cheese

Staff member
A 1-2A charger would be fine for charging the batteries. The other power supply should NOT be a charger, but rather a power supply that can supply enough power to run the system (which depends on the voltage).

There are no easy systems for charging and playing at the same time. You can use the USB battery banks, but those require quite a bit of power to charge anything since they use USB (5v). Alternatively you could use Aurelio's PowerMii, but that is not finished yet.

What do you mean by "the other power supply"? How does the circuit know which power supply goes to the batteries and which goes to the console and screen?

cheese

Staff member
This charge and play design uses two power supplies. The first should specifically be made to charge batteries. It should charge them at around 1-2A, and it should be set to run at the voltage your batteries run at (so two 18650s in series would be 7.4v, three would be 11.1v, etc). The second can be a generic power supply at a voltage your regulators can handle (eg PTH08080s can handle anywhere from 5 to 14ish volts). It should be able to supply enough power to run the system and all other components (screen, speakers, etc).

I am using an untrimmed wii. So, i dont have regulators. What do you mean by a generic power supply? Isnt that basically the same thing as a charger?

GC64

Portables
A charger is something that restores the cells back to their maximum capacity, and a power supply just supplies power to a specific load. An example of a charger is a 7.4v smart charger from battery space, and an example of a power supply could be the 7.5v supply for the psone, or the supply for the n64, or the wii, or pretty much any home console. When you power on a home console, it's not being charged, it's just being supplied power. For this reason, you need both a charger and a power supply that (in your case) supplies 14.8v to "charge and play." I'm pretty sure this concept has now been broken down to the smallest terms possible ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks guys. So i could use the 14.8v 1.5A charger from battery space for the charger. And i could use the wii u power supply which is 15v and 5A. That would give me everything i need.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Thanks guys. So i could use the 14.8v 1.5A charger from battery space for the charger. And i could use the wii u power supply which is 15v and 5A. That would give me everything i need.
No. You have to use a power supply that is rated for the PTHs, so a 12V one would work fine. @cheese already told you this

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Because the wii power supply only has enough power for the wii, not the wii and the screen.
The Wii power supply is a 36W source. You can power a screen without any issues