Worklog Magister's worklog - No Name Wii

This is my worklog for my wii portable build project.

I just placed an order for all my tools. So far, I have the 7 or 8" screen, driver board, hdmi splitter and hdmi adapter (i know, bad for power but as its my first time, ill give it a whirl), 6 layer wii (going to search for a 4 layer this weekend), usb drive, and various cables and controllers for wii testing.

I plan to make a device that:
  • is a bit bigger than a switch, with a similar slim design.
  • I'm aiming to give it HDMI out for TV mirroring,
  • original gamecube controller connections/build a connector for the 4 gamecube port taken from the wii to a custom connector for gamecube parties
  • and...anything else I haven't thought of yet.

I'll be utilizing the USBc charging adapter, power management by Gman and maybe GC board by aurelio in the build. not sure if im adding a controller to it at the moment, or just making it more of a portable wii with separate gamecube controllers.

Hopefully I'll get some good progress in here soon!

Sounds nice! I wonder how much the power draw of a 6 layer Wii is compared to the 4 layer Wii. Has anyone measured this?

Sounds nice! I wonder how much the power draw of a 6 layer Wii is compared to the 4 layer Wii. Has anyone measured this?
I've mentioned trying out a 6 layer board for a portable and basically got my ass chewed lol
I don't know if its documented, but I guess 6 layer boards also create more heat
I'd imagine it's like working with a gamecube at this point lol without the mx chip and bluetooth