Worklog Madmorda's First Wii Portable (Wii S Lite)

This looks soooo amazing! Just another question does it fit in your pocket? Other than that it's sooo good

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
This looks soooo amazing! Just another question does it fit in your pocket? Other than that it's sooo good
Only if you have huge pockets. It's about the size of a dmg gameboy, but more square than rectangular

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
View attachment 3525 View attachment 3526 View attachment 3527 View attachment 3528 View attachment 3529 View attachment 3530 View attachment 3531 View attachment 3532
Here she is :D

The shoulder buttons are actually incredibly comfortable, and everything seems to be in working order. The wiimote works great in a comfortable range, the screen control buttons work, and the case closes entirely while using the same latch that the original case did. Those were my main concerns, but it all checks out. I can't tell you guys how good it feels to have this done :D I'm going to be playing some paper mario here real soon haha

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I know you aren't too pleased with them but... internals?

Ewhizz

Was this the RAVPower 6700mAh phone charger? If so how was the battery life?
Also was wondering if you could post a link to the fan you used?
Thanks

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Yes it was this battery. I never got around to testing the battery life though because shortly after completing it, it died. I think it was due to overheating, so I'm redoing the whole thing. I'll update this worklog soon, as I'm getting ready to repaint it. As for the fan, I think I linked it earlier in the worklog. Someone else found the same fan, only rebranded. Maybe @Stitches? I'm using a different fan now
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQ8J81R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_p6kiAbJAC1YWP

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Awesome work mate! Nice to see a clamshell portable :)

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
As some of you may know, the wii s lite bit it shortly after completion. I never figured out what was actually causing the issue, so I gave up and rebuilt the project from the ground up. I repainted the shell and replaced the motherboard and cooling setup. It runs a little warmer than I'd like, but so far it's still chugging.

The new theme is zero suit Samus :) I also completed the breakout box for it, so it's able to output component video to a tv, as well as players 1-3.

20180114_185125.jpg
20180114_185200.jpg
20180114_185307.jpg
20180114_185825.jpg
20180114_185949.jpg

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
As some of you may know, the wii s lite bit it shortly after completion. I never figured out what was actually causing the issue, so I gave up and rebuilt the project from the ground up. I repainted the shell and replaced the motherboard and cooling setup. It runs a little warmer than I'd like, but so far it's still chugging.

The new theme is zero suit Samus :) I also completed the breakout box for it, so it's able to output component video to a tv, as well as players 1-3.

View attachment 4878 View attachment 4879 View attachment 4880 View attachment 4881 View attachment 4882
Cool!

I wish I could paint like that ;~; (tbh we all do)

How do you tell battery life?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Beautiful work Madmorda. Looks like I'm the only one left trying to revive their contest submission :P

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Kek, I mean't battery level, Like, Led indication, or the like
It has battery status LEDs from a wiimote on the left hand side. I've been testing battery life and it looks like it's about an hour. It might be because the cells aren't panasonic, or it might be because I am using a phone bank, or because it's 5v. /shrug I'm not too upset with it because it really is a tiny portable. I compared it to a ds phat and it's barely larger.

The 4.3" screen arrived today, and I tested it out in the case. The circuit board is actually quite tiny, and while it's a tiny bit too thick to fit directly under the screen, it is able to lay partially under it.

I cut a tiny part out of the case to give the circuit board room to lay. The screen is then centered at the top of the case.

With it laying like this, it is a perfect fit :D.

I also received my new 3ds d-pad circuit board and it's practically perfect in every way :P

All of the buttons click nicely. I believe it could also be easily made to fit the abxy buttons, but I would prefer the ds lite feel over the clicky feel for those.

Here is the back view. The screws are a bit off, but a bit of drilling and it'll be fine.

EDIT: The dpad can definitely be used as abxy buttons. They won't work with ds lite buttons, only 3ds ones, and you will also need the silicon pad that goes under them.
View attachment 1709 View attachment 1710 View attachment 1711
They are comfortable and feel just like they should. The only thing I'd worry about is mounting the circuit board.
View attachment 1712
Fortunately, the 3ds (idk about the xl) has three screw holes that the board can be mounted on. You'll need to drill holes in it for them to match up, but as far as I can tell, it won't coincide with the traces on the board at all. It would probably be a good idea to give it additional support from below as well just so that excessive force won't break it. I will probably 3d print a post or two to hold it up from below.

I am revising my statement that I'd prefer ds lite buttons because this way they'll match the dpad, take less space, and be much less work.
I know I'm something like three years late to this thread, but I am currently pulling my hair out trying to figure out how you connected the tiny DS button traces to anything. Did you solder directly to the metal on the end of the flap? If so, how were you able to solder to such small pieces of metal? Please enlighten me (PS I'm sorry if this was answered somewhere else I've been unable to find any information on this)