Worklog Madmorda's First Wii Portable (Wii S Lite)

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
What kind of cutting wheel? There are all different types, so if there's a specific one you use that would be great :).

And the battery was a RAVPower 6700mAh phone charger. It looks like the cells might be LG, which is good right?

Last edited:

Fiskers1208

BANNED
what audio amp are you using, and what screen are you using? are you using composite?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
what audio amp are you using, and what screen are you using? are you using composite?
I had an audio amp picked it but ended up needing to use it for something else, and now it's giving me trouble so I may have to get a new one.

I had a 4.3" screen and a 3.5" screen and haven't completely decided on if everything will fit inside my case. The one I've shown is the 4.3" composite which I believe will fit. If it does not, I'll upgrade to a larger screen that is component and find a new case.

Obviously I'd prefer component, but I'm so in love with this shell that I'd rather have a ds lite style wii with composite than a different one with component.

My gcp had composite and it didn't look great, but it didn't look too bad either. The wii is on pause until I can get the audio thing worked out and I'm also trying to finish up a few other projects.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Just make sure to shield the wires for video to prevent interference, that is the easiest way to make composite go from alright to terrible

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Just make sure to shield the wires for video to prevent interference, that is the easiest way to make composite go from alright to terrible
This ^^
And if you can, try to keep it away from the power regulators. That can cause issues too.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
On the note of paint not sticking, Dulux makes a special aerosol spray primer chemically designed to bite into difficult plastics. You just need to sand the case with some 300-400 grain sandpaper, clean the dust off, prime, dry, sand smooth, prime, dry, sand smooth, until you're happy with it. After that, the paint should stick like glue and once fully cured and clear coated should be pretty indestructible.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
On the note of paint not sticking, Dulux makes a special aerosol spray primer chemically designed to bite into difficult plastics. You just need to sand the case with some 300-400 grain sandpaper, clean the dust off, prime, dry, sand smooth, prime, dry, sand smooth, until you're happy with it. After that, the paint should stick like glue and once fully cured and clear coated should be pretty indestructible.
XD I JUST repainted it and reassembled the gcp with that issue. If only I'd known this a week ago lol. Seriously though thank you :) I'm sure I'll end up having to do it again eventually so this is really helpful. I'll be sure to use it next time.

Portables
Lol!
Just a small update:
I have found a thin metal 5v fan that <might> be okay by itself and I ordered it. I doubt I'll go that route, but it is supposedly 5mm so it's worth looking into ad the very least. Thought I'd mention it anyways in case it works out, because an ultra thin fan could come in handy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262644063876
How did this turn out?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
How did this turn out?
In terms of size, I like it. It fits perfectly on the chips (although that does not mean it's adequate to cool them by itself)
20170228_190621.jpg 20170228_190823.jpg
It is actually 5mm tall too which is nice.

EDIT: In terms of functionality, I love it. Originally this post said it wouldn't turn on. I went back to the original ebay listing which said 3.3-5v. The fan is labeled as 3.3v on the sticker, but only turns on at 5v for me. It is working perfectly, and I'm more than happy with it. It is very quiet, and the air can be felt from at least 6 inches away. What more is there to say? It's tiny, quiet, and moves a decent amount of air. It blows the air out the side, so it can be mounted right next to the heatsinks. For a $6 fan, I'm blown away. (Pun intended).

I had to use some of my wiip parts to fix my gcp so until I can afford to replace those, I've been working on other projects to hopefully make some money. Sorry for the slow progress :T but with the bitbuilt contest coming up I better get it in gear haha

you know that it's an old comment, right. read the rules. trust me.
Ike's reply was entirely within the rules because it added value to a worklog currently in progress. It was a valid question that I meant to answer earlier and forgot about.

Last edited:
Portables
Lol!
In terms of size, I like it. It fits perfectly on the chips (although that does not mean it's adequate to cool them by itself)
View attachment 1653 View attachment 1654

EDIT: In terms of functionality, I love it. Originally this post said it wouldn't turn on. I went back to the original ebay listing which said 3.3-5v. The fan is labeled as 3.3v on the sticker, but only turns on at 5v for me. It is working perfectly, and I'm more than happy with it. It is very quiet, and the air can be felt from at least 6 inches away. What more is there to say? It's tiny, quiet, and moves a decent amount of air. It blows the air out the side, so it can be mounted right next to the heatsinks. For a $6 fan, I'm blown away. (Pun intended).
Thanks! I might use this with Artic Silver in the near future.

pipbug

I had to use some of my wiip parts to fix my gcp so until I can afford to replace those, I've been working on other projects to hopefully make some money. Sorry for the slow progress :T but with the bitbuilt contest coming up I better get it in gear haha

Ike's reply was entirely within the rules because it added value to a worklog currently in progress. It was a valid question that I meant to answer earlier and forgot about.
That's a great find. Personally I like using a PS2 slim fan combined with a small heatsink, but yours seems good too! Have you tested it with any games?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
That's a great find. Personally I like using a PS2 slim fan combined with a small heatsink, but yours seems good too! Have you tested it with any games?
Nope. I ran into some trouble trimming my wii, so I have another one to trim, but there's really no point until I get a new screen and audio jack.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables

I bet with a bit of angle grinder magic and thermal glue, that fan could be integrated into a short fin heatsink to have a perfect easy mount one piece cooling unit.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I bet with a bit of angle grinder magic and thermal glue, that fan could be integrated into a short fin heatsink to have a perfect easy mount one piece cooling unit.
You mean like carve it? If you mean add a heatsink to it, heatsink fans are actually really easy to come by. I've got an 8mm one, but I chose this because it was 5mm tall.

I've been thinking it seems odd that it's made of metal. Most fans are plastic, except the heatsink fan combos. But this doesn't seem to have a heatsink. Anybody know if it's made to sit directly on the chips or not?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah, carve it. I just like using power tools >.>. I'd say that one is designed to sit on top of either the chipset itself, or an adhesive copper plate alongside a finned sink.