Luma 64 - fibbef's first 64p

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer

This is the very first portable I started building, but got put off time and time again and I think was the 3rd that I completed. I finished the build prior to becoming a member of BitBuilt, but I'm posting it here for posterity's sake. I'll post more of my completed projects if the mods allow.

Details:
  • Build start: ca.2011
  • Build complete: June 1, 2016
  • Original Nintendo 64 motherboard - believe it or not I didn't fry a single board on this build!
  • Third party controller
  • 5" widescreen backup monitor, permanently set to 4:3 aspect ratio
  • 7.4v Li-Ion batteries at 4400 mAh
  • Generic mp3 amplifier and speakers
  • Tupperware-style case
  • LOB64 communications jack for multiplayer and AV output
  • Glow-in-the-dark paint job.

Work during @Doom's 2015 Ghosts of Portables Past event. Ignore the sign.

A nightmare of poor planning but whatevs. Done.

Last edited:
Portables
3/4
Awesome for your first portable, great job!! You really got the smooth case work down. I'm still struggling with Bondo and putty tryin' to keep it smooth since I've never worked with it before. If you don't mind me asking, what all do you use?

Can't wait to see some more of your work man!! :)

Miceeno

2020 3rd Place Winner
Portables
I like how in your video you played like a little kid. I brings back memories of my first encounter with the glorious N64.

Good on you for finally wrapping up a project you started 5 years ago! Also, white builds always look so good!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Thanks for the nice comments everyone!
If you don't mind me asking, what all do you use?
For frankencasing I've been melting down chunks of ABS plastic using acetone. When it dries it becomes plastic fused to plastic with more plastic - a single piece so it's super strong.
For non structural filler I use regular Bondo body filler, sanded as smooth as possible.
For finishing, Bondo spot/glazing putty.

I used to use epoxy for structural work, but it takes almost nothing to use up an entire tube. Acetone is cheap and the plastic I get from random junk that I take apart. Let me know if I can answer any of your other questions.
The first image at the top is beautiful, more portables need to be showcased like that.
Thanks ShockSlayer! I mostly took that pic to show the size of the portable since everyone around here should have a good idea how big a 64 cart is.

I'll post some more of my projects in a week or two. Kind of busy at the moment with a newborn in the house. :mrgreen:

Portables
3/4
For frankencasing I've been melting down chunks of ABS plastic using acetone. When it dries it becomes plastic fused to plastic with more plastic - a single piece so it's super strong.
For non structural filler I use regular Bondo body filler, sanded as smooth as possible.
For finishing, Bondo spot/glazing putty.

I used to use epoxy for structural work, but it takes almost nothing to use up an entire tube. Acetone is cheap and the plastic I get from random junk that I take apart. Let me know if I can answer any of your other questions.
I've been considering going the ABS/Acetone route for awhile, think I originally read about it on ModRetro somewhere. Sounds easier, cheaper and stronger than the plastic epoxy I'm using now. Think I might have to try it!! :).

And yeah, the Bondo and Glazing Putty is a pain but it looks SOOO nice if you get it smooth... it's been a learning experience though. Like I've said before, it's hard doing all the filling and sanding without a shop or something. Sitting on my front steps and having to brave the weather sucks, lol!! :)

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Sitting on my front steps and having to brave the weather sucks, lol!! :)
Yeah, that doesn't sound like much fun at all. At least in Florida you can work most months of the year. In Iowa there's an inch of snow on the ground right now, so I'm glad I can work indoors.

Another perk of working with melted ABS is that the fumes dissipate quickly. Usually I can't smell it 5 feet away from where I was working with it. Bondo stinks up my basement or garage for about 24 hours.

Pacal

Portables
RDP 64
It's really nice working with melted abs,I'm working in a n64 portable right now and all that I'm using is melted abs and a little of glazing putty too I'll be posting some pictures very soon