Worklog Luke's Wii Portable

Luke

Portables
Seems like another worklog would do these forums some good, so here's one from me.

So how I usually do work is I complete like 95% of the project in like a day, and let the remaining 5% weigh me down because I'll be afraid that it won't turn out as good as I hope or whatever other excuse. As such, I have a wii trimmed wired and ready to go, with usb, regulators, etc, and it boots up just fine. Did the whole thing in one day, a few months ago. As always, not knowing what to do about a case has held me back, but maybe starting a worklog will help me stay motivated. So not knowing what to do about a case is still troubling me, but I stumbled onto this little portable display at a flea market a few days ago and it is intriguing me quite a bit.

Sylvania SDVD8732
IMG_0253.JPG

Pretty darn thin. As far as I can tell, it's the perfect size. The screen to not-screen ratio in the front is greater than 1, which is a personal requirement for me, for landscape-style portables.
IMG_0253.JPG

Are you kidding me??? Comes with a built-in kick stand that could be perfect for multiplayer games and single player games that require the wiimote/sensor bar. Also some ports on the side that can be reused. From top to bottom, they are volume knob, headphone jack, av in (could convert to av out), and power. There's also an on/off switch on the top that you can barely see in that picture, that could be easily reused.
IMG_0253.JPG

Here's a look inside. Speakers can be easily used. The idea for the ports is to cut away the part of the circuit board that I need (roughly shown with the red line), leave the part with the ports, wire to them accordingly, and screw the board back into place with the screws and posts that are already there.
IMG_0253.JPG

I had a 7" screen lying around that I believe takes in a few different video formats, can't remember which though. Exactly the same size, fits perfectly.
IMG_0253.JPG

Here's a closer look at the circuit board with ports that I plan on reusing, right to left is volume knob, headphone jack, av in (could convert to av out), and power. Middle right is the power switch.
IMG_0253.JPG

The plan is to frankencase gamecube buttons and d-pad, and to drill holes for 3ds sliders for the two analog sticks. I have 4 18650s that I am hoping I can fit. Expect more plans and progress soon.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Hey that's a perfect case to frankencase, nice find! My only suggestion if you are re-using the power switch from the screen is make sure it can handle the current for the portable. A Wii portable could draw about 7-10watts and the portable screen may only use a fraction of that.

Portables
3/4
I must say that is a great find, can't wait to see this finished!! :)

Nice find on that DVD player thing! What price did you get it at, I've been looking at the price on eBay and they are fairly expenseive

Luke

Portables
Thanks guys!

I got this thing for $10. Apparently it's normally sold alongside another portable display with an actual dvd player inside it, and is meant to be connected to that so you can have 2 screens to view the dvd (for whatever reason). I lucked out stumbling across this not being sold bundled with the other display /dvd player, which allowed me to get it for cheap. All the ones I see on eBay have that additional display /dvd player, which is why it costs a bit more.

Last edited:

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
is meant to be connected to that so you can have 2 screens to view the dvd (for whatever reason).
Those setups are pretty typical for multi-children households so you can strap one screen on the back of the front seat headrests so each backseat passenger has their own screen as if you're on a mother flippin' 747. Good find on the "player 2" unit. Someone probably broke the DVD unit and thought the second screen was worthless.

What output format are you using from the Wii? Just asking because I'm pretty sure that 3.5mm jack is a composite input. But if you're going with component or VGA then I'll just mind my own business...

Luke

Portables
I can't in good conscience output composite to a 7" screen; if my current screen doesn't support anything else it means I'm buying another one.

I won't be using that jack for video input of any kind, but am toying around with using it for composite out (I'm not using the original circuit board shown in the pictures except for the purposes of mounting the jacks so that they align properly. I'll cut away the excess part of the board, which basically means I can wire the jacks however I want). I could technically rig it for component out, but it seems like way more trouble than it's worth, especially considering that I won't usually be plugging it to an external screen, period, and the inconvenience that it won't have audio out tied with it.

Now, my screen was cracked, so definitely fairly useless without me replacing things, however if someone did find a fully functional version and was okay with composite, it seems to me that reusing the original screen and original driver board wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Luke

Portables
Holes cut, and controls epoxied in. Let's see how it turns out.
Had to move a/b/x/y farther to left after I cut the hole because my case couldn't close properly. That's why the gap is so big over there. Lack of planning.
20161217_125129.jpg

20161217_131433_001.jpg

Feels good that I don't have to deal with speaker holes :P