Question Li-po/18650 in a new 3ds

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
Hi there,

I'm going on a trip soon and I noticed that my n3ds battery isn't what it used to be.

Now even with the low brightness-no 3d-power saving combo I only get 2 hours.

I do have a li-po and some 18650 lying around that I wanted to use for a project and I think it's the perfect time to try it out but I wanted your opinion first.

Can I use those batteries in a 3ds and will it work with its internal charging circuit?

Everything I have on hand is 3.7 volts.

PS: another question if I may, anybody here ever put two 3ds batteries in parallel? Did that work out?

splain

3DS (and N3DS) batteries are indeed 3.7v, so the charging circuitry will work with other 3.7v batteries. But where would you put a 18650?

Edit: I've wired up 2 DS batteries in parallel, to power a GBA. Worked fine.

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
I would probably make a case with grips at the back. (spare shells for N3ds are impossible to find also)

Btw for wiring the DS battery did you relax all three contact points together or just + and - ?

splain

Oh that would be awesome. The DS batteries I used had only + and -, does the n3ds have 3 terminals?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Imo you would probably have a better experience and a quicker result by using an external powerbank and an usb 3ds charger cable

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
@Aurelio already have those with a home made diy usb cable, and it's working well for the most part, but i'd prefer a "one package" solution. Mind you, for the trip i might just use that but get back on the drawing board on my return to map two/three XL batteries together and make a custom shell (there's a couple of mods i'd like to add to it as well, usb sd card access!)

@splain yeah they do, i know the third one is a temperature sensor but idk if I'm suppose to link all batteries to it (and google has failed me)