Solved LDO replacement

hi , as in one of tutorials (basic trimming guide) we can remove LDO for better life of battery but we should remove LDO if we are doing G-boy kit , but in the tutorial of assembling G-boy there is no evidence of LDO being removed and also i couldn't find any documentation on which pad should i feed in from my custom regulated 1.8 v ( i guess to heatsink ),and oh yeah another thing i messed up C3 smd capacitor i don't know the value to replace it is it important?

Attachments

MP3

Portables
You have to remove the LDO for the G-Boy. 1.8v does indeed go to the heat sink pad. It's fine if C3 is missing, it's not a necessary component.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
hi , as in one of tutorials (basic trimming guide) we can remove LDO for better life of battery but we should remove LDO if we are doing G-boy kit , but in the tutorial of assembling G-boy there is no evidence of LDO being removed and also i couldn't find any documentation on which pad should i feed in from my custom regulated 1.8 v ( i guess to heatsink ),and oh yeah another thing i messed up C3 smd capacitor i don't know the value to replace it is it important?
The capacitor you nicked off is one of many decoupling capacitors for the 3.3v line. It's not strictly needed, so don't worry about that.

This is a scan of the top layer of the Wii near the LDO, you supply 1.8v to the green bit.
1634607312278.png

The capacitor you nicked off is one of many decoupling capacitors for the 3.3v line. It's not strictly needed, so don't worry about that.

This is a scan of the top layer of the Wii near the LDO, you supply 1.8v to the green bit.
View attachment 19482
Thank you for this detailed help, so i see that only cutting the legs of the LDO is enough i can just cut the legs off and desolder them and connect the 1.8v to any where in the green are , am i right ? aesthetically its more pleasing to remove the whole thing but since its stubborn and heating that part of the board isn't smart action since beneath it there is bios chip and SMT elements on the boards are very fragile , i think if you guys say thats ok i might just do that, since GND is one of the legs and by disconnecting it we open circuit and practically we remove the LDO from our circuit only 1.8 v could travel back into the LDO and thus by disconnecting it from GND i think that wont happen , am i right?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
For safety and good practice, you want to remove the whole LDO