Late night modding

I took the board of a wired Gamecube controller, wired it directly to an 8bitdo Gbros adapter, and crammed it all into the shell of a Wavebird. I present the Davebird.
It was a pretty easy mod, lots of room inside the wavebird. Had to make my own button or two though.
IMG_20190120_233527718.jpg

Dual rumble motors. Had these two in a parts drawer. Fit pretty nicely in the handles.
IMG_20190120_232410403.jpg
68151.jpeg

After a fair bit of sanding all the way up to 3,000 grit... looks like it belongs, eh?
IMG_20190122_040753079.jpg

Attachments

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I took the board of a wired Gamecube controller, wired it directly to an 8bitdo Gbros adapter, and crammed it all into the shell of a Wavebird. I present the Davebird.
It was a pretty easy mod, lots of room inside the wavebird. Had to make my own button or two though.
View attachment 7985
Dual rumble motors. Had these two in a parts drawer. Fit pretty nicely in the handles.
View attachment 7979 View attachment 7980
After a fair bit of sanding all the way up to 3,000 grit... looks like it belongs, eh?View attachment 7981
Dang that's fantastic. Amazon sent me 2 of those by mistake, so I think I just found the perfect project for my second one...

I love this! I actually bought a wavebird and 8bitdo adapter to make one. Do you have a wiring diagram for the gamecube controller output pins to the 8bitdo input pins? Any chance you have the stl files to the custom buttons?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I love this! I actually bought a wavebird and 8bitdo adapter to make one. Do you have a wiring diagram for the gamecube controller output pins to the 8bitdo input pins? Any chance you have the stl files to the custom buttons?
Hmm, I wonder who you ordered that Wavebird from...

I don't have a real pinout other than the thing I doodled. This is looking top down, with the square end pointing left. (Not to scale.)
IMG_20190125_200843855.jpg

As for the buttons, the pictures above explains how I did on/off, had to trim away some of the plastic on the inside to get a flush fit. The Screenshot button I hot glued the crap out of at a right angle.
IMG_20190125_200029506.jpg

The .STLs will be rough, and probably won't fit straight from the printer. As I fully intended to sand them down quite a bit and get them to shine. But here they are anyway:

Edited: added a third .stl for a button model I didn't end up using.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Poor Man's Devkit:
DSCF7560.JPG

Also I've found one of my first diy hardware mods ever! The NoldCard eXtreme SD! (eXtreme stands for "extra extremely bad soldered" - lol)...
DSCF7556.JPG

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Australian heat sucks, so I put a 240mm AIO on my GPU. I replaced the stock Kraken fans with 2 Thermaltake PLA12025S12HH-LV fans, the best fans of their class in the world (and a pain in the ass to find now since they're discontinued). Also thermal paste sucks, so I used kapton tape to insulate the passives around the die and a chucked an IC Graphite pad on instead. I never need to touch thing this again, so long as no leaks pls.
IMG_20190417_191626.jpg

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Sometimes laziness becomes a motivation...

In this case i've written an attiny13 firmware that sniffs the controller port 1 for a certain button combination [Start + Select + R] and resets the SNES. Perfect for sd2snes!

Source, hex & doc
: https://github.com/Nold360/lazy_mans_snes_reset

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
20190910_002359.jpg
20190910_002511.jpg
20190910_002517.jpg

I picked up a gba sp today and added a headphone jack. All of the mods I've seen so far remove the link cable port to leave room for the jack, but that's no fun :p

I used a very small smd headphone jack and put it where I thought it should have been on the console. The little switch on the back is to switch between speaker and headphone.

20190909_234809.jpg

XCVG

Portables
I finally did the RGB mod to my N64! All the N64s I have left are moddable, so I modded my "original" N64 (which I bought in 2010 or something).

n64 rgb amp.jpg

I built a THS7374 amplifier on perfboard. It worked after I added a missing jumper and reflowed the pins on the chip (hand soldering SMD sucks, I should have used one of the ones I did with hot air). The circuit is based on borti4938's simpleRGBamp, with the sync circuitry omitted since I have an early revision board with a working (I hope) sync circuit.

n64 rgb inside.jpg

Honestly, if I were to do this again and things weren't delayed everywhere I would just buy a mod board. This worked, but it wasn't any cheaper and it was a pain in the ass to fit in the case. The board is halfheartedly stuck in with double-sided tape, and all the nearby metal insulated with Kapton tape (which is great, by the way).

n64 rgb sample.jpg

It looks pretty good with the $30 generic SCART to HDMI box. I don't actually remember how it looked over composite anymore though, so maybe it's actually no improvement.

EDIT: A bonus pic. That's my Super Famicom I bought in Japan, with a bare-board US/Canada copy of Super Mario World in it, hooked up to a random slightly-underrated power supply. I needed to check if my cable was good and this is the only Nintendo I own that natively outputs RGB. It didn't work the first time because the Super Mario World board was dirty/corroded.

n64 rgb setup.jpg

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
So, a few days ago, when i was about to leave for vacation, i realised i'm addicted as fuck to rhythm games, and that not bringing anything wouldn't go well. Bringing my VR setup.. yeah no. So, option two, osu.. i would need to bring a keyboard as well, which doesn't sound great. Option 3.. Love Live SIF yeah i'm trying to get out of idol hell not get back into it :facepalm:.. Looking at option 2 again tho, i realised i have a 3d printer and stuff, so i might as well build a keypad. So i printed this and some keycaps the day before i left, took a pro micro with me and ordered some red and blue MX switches to the vacation home i went to.
PHOTO-2020-07-24-13-49-38.jpg

image0-3.jpg
IMG_3363.png

IMG_3364.png
Imo, for what it is, it came out quite nicely. Especially considering it was printed with no supports. Now the surprising part. Before making this thing i never played on a mechanical keyboard, just a pretty decent membrane one. Now.. turns out, mechanical switches are the greatest thing ever, like almost as significant as switching to a tablet was for me, probably more influential then a high refresh rate monitor. Like thats how nice they are (or well i guess how shit my keyboard before was) So thats pretty good. Only issue is the noise it makes, my parents aren't liking it haha so i can only play during the late afternoon when they are going on walks and shit or after 23:00. Thats alright tho. The internals, well.. yeah i didn't make it pretty cause no acces to wire strippers anything.

I actually tried both reds and blues, as people apparently prefer reds but imo blues are so much nicer its insane. If anyone here plays osu and doesn't play on a mechanical keyboard, seriously get one, or build one of these, you won't regret it :D

Luca

Coffee machine broke down a while ago, decided to see if I could fix it.(Gaggia Titanium)

DSC_0080.jpg

Its water pump was always running, even when it went to sleep and it was left on cleaning mode for too long, which destroyed the pump.

DSC_0079.JPG

I replaced the pump, but the pump still ran 24/7. Replaced the burnt out triac with a higher spec new one and it's just like new

DSC_0081.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 9448 View attachment 9449 View attachment 9450

I picked up a gba sp today and added a headphone jack. All of the mods I've seen so far remove the link cable port to leave room for the jack, but that's no fun :p

I used a very small smd headphone jack and put it where I thought it should have been on the console. The little switch on the back is to switch between speaker and headphone.

View attachment 9452
I'm pretty sure there's a pin that you can solder to the 4th lead of the audio jack to automatically switch between headphones and speaker output, on the pinout for the charge port. Second from left, I think? Unless the switch setup is intentional, which is pretty neat.