Late night modding

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Got something you stayed up late one night doing, but it doesn't really feel thread-worthy? Post it here!

I'm gonna start it off with the shell swap I just finished on my switch. While I didn't make the shell I put on it, I had to put it on (which took a few hours, since I had to tear down and rebuild both joycons).

IMG_20171007_040412.jpg
IMG_20171007_040555.jpg

Bakuku

Portables
This reminds me of those Classic Gameboy with clear shells. Looks great!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Picked up this AGS-101 GBA SP for $15 off Letgo. As you can see, it was in pretty bad shape. It looked like it had been scratched all over and chewed by a dog at the corner. Got a replacement shell off of ebay and installed that today. Looks brand new now!

504ab0603a48e469147c4b6a4034b654.png ca581bfae39215dfeab970b9892d73ab.png 20171008_125046.jpg 20171008_125052.jpg

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
I finished this a while back(Around June for my sister's birthday), but the A button was detecting it being pushed always.
So I got to fixing that Saturday night.

IMG_3279.JPG
(I used an smd resistor, no speakers sadly, but she seems fine with it, because she usually uses earphones)

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
This is a little off-topic as it's not electronic in nature plus I made this a couple of years ago, but since it's Thanksgiving (for the non-US, you can play along), I thought I'd share it.

For a few years now I've been making homemade egg noodles for Thanksgiving and Christmas family feasts. I quickly discovered how tedious it was to slice up the dough into individual noodles using a pizza cutter. There had to be a faster way.

What's better than one pizza slicer? 7 pizza slicers! Planning my finished product, I also picked up some nylon spacers, some steel rod, and plain metal washers.

Pizza cutters broken apart. I only need one good handle. The rest were destroyed in the disassembly.

Assembly was easy, but how would I hold the row of cutters together on the ends?

My first idea was to pound the ends with a hammer to widen the ends so the slicers couldn't slide off. That was a mistake; the rod bent out of shape which would make for some very inconsistent noodles.

Plan B: cut a groove into the rod and snap on an e-clip. Took a couple tries to get the correct diameter.

The e-clips do their job well! In hindsight, I should have used a narrower spacer for the middle blades since there's a larger gap between those two, but the noodles are just going to get eaten and I don't think anyone is paying that close attention to a bowl of noodles.

Finished project. Works very well and saves me a TON of time being able to slice 6 noodles at a time instead of one.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
That's actually pretty neat! Also, it doesn't have to be electronic, just something you made that you'd think we'll find neat or interesting

JoJo

What's better than one pizza slicer? 7 pizza slicers!
No single sentence has described my life better than this...

My fiancee wanted to be a gender bent Rick Sanchez for this past Halloween, so I spent the time to make an Inter-dimensional Portal Gun for her. I modeled the files use to print this from scratch in Fusion 360, and used some 12 v led strip sections I had laying around. The big bulb and caps on the front were printed in "Glow In The Dark" green for a nice glowy effect when the LEDs were off.
^C671B6633D090D01D10DD6C4F3A5B058EBD514D6578ADA72AA^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

The readout display is actually only a picture printed on regular paper with red LEDs bhind it. Close enough.
^BF5DA944C037E35147D7B74D9C92E8EA4B619932E14199F183^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

This turned out really well, even though I only worked on it at 1-3 AM each morning :P
PICKLE RIIIICCCKK!

Last edited by a moderator:

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
it doesn't have to be electronic, just something you made that you'd think we'll find neat or interesting
Well alright. In that case, I have another.

Made this child-sized picnic table in the summer of 2016 after I saw a similar one at my parents' house.

Buncha lumber.

Pieced together the tabletop.

Added legs.

Made sum benches. At this point I made a total bonehead mistake; the table legs were too wide at the bottom to fit through the opening between the benches. I had to take off one of the benches to put it all together.

Bonehead mistake rectified. Finished product is about 2 feet tall, which is perfect for kids ages 3-5.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
actually posting project shit on bitbuilt HOLY FUCK

Alright, so, my McMagnifying glass that I've had since the dawn of BitBuilt exploded. Avoid anything that has a primary clamp made of plastic. But it's just a base, so I one-way disassembled it, and used some pipe parts to construct additional pylons.

The result is a mostly functional substitute that will suffice until replacement arrives via manlove:

The operating principal is that there's a large metal stripper pole that I drilldo'd a lot of holes in, and then a :NUT: and bolt goes through that, to keep the PVC T pipe from sliding down, but it can still rotate/move up/down. Then there's a pipe comin' out of that, that can be moved, but it's perfect as is. Fortunately for me, the leftover assembly had a key shaped rod coming off of it, so it can go into the pipe sideways, twist, and then it won't come out.

This'll be good enough for now, and I drilled enough holes so that once the nice memes arrive, I can just move this up out of the way, and/or plug in a different something to it. Probably a camera for modding streams.

Additional memes in the picture:
2x pig
1x test with with many ???? boards connected to it
1x thicc solder roll
1x steaming mug of q-tips

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I got tired of never having space on my desk, so I built another desk. But I still needed somewhere to sleep, so I put a bed on it. Cost me $350 Dollarydoos and 3 near full days work. Now I can FINALLY use my 3D printer, after I organise all my shit of course.
20171230_191949.jpg

JoJo

I got tired of never having space on my desk, so I built another desk. But I still needed somewhere to sleep, so I put a bed on it. Cost me $350 Dollarydoos and 3 near full days work. Now I can FINALLY use my 3D printer, after I organise all my shit of course.
Dude that is shweet! I am a big fan of bunk beds and am honestly jealous. Congrats on the new workspace my dude.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
View attachment 4728
I added an inline factory exhaust system to protect myself from the cancer. 555 cubic metres of get-the-fuck-out suction power! This is slowly turning into a drug lab setup....
20180113_203919.jpg

Last edited:
Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
I Re(ish) housed my 3ds xl, I replaced the motherboard aswell, Because the cart slot had paper jammed in it >.>(Thanks Sibling!), I replaced the motherboard because I had one laying around. I replaced pink with black, and replaced the white buttons, and so on.

IMG_7907.JPG
IMG_3460.JPG

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Had this Game Gear that I bought off a friend about two years ago. It's been sitting around dying for a capacitor overhaul. Figured I might as well do an LED backlight mod while I'm at it. The cap job I did shortly after getting the Gear and I was able to confirm it worked, but I didn't have any white LEDs, so the backlight mod was put on hold until I felt motivate, which I guess ended up being today.

Used a plain drinking straw to diffuse the light from the LEDs a bit.

The light shield/mirror in place. I used a tiny amount of hot glue to keep the straw held in place. If it ever got lopsided behind the screen, I'm guaranteed to develop an eye twitch.

Looking (somewhat) good! I can't exactly say that the image is crystal clear but that's limited by the technology of the screen itself. Only way to make it better would be to composite-mod the GG and drop in a replacement screen.

Pacal

Portables
RDP 64
Here is my new (used) GBA with a new screen a couple rechargeable batteries and a charger,two of the batteries didn't work even though were new so i had to opened them and replace them with 2 batteries from the wii controller they are the same exactly size so it was easy to do it
IMG_0707[1].JPG

IMG_0722[1].JPG
IMG_0721[1].JPG

nobble

Cool mods lately up there!

Last night I decided to use orange squishy tacts to mod my mouse L and R clicks into mouse squishes. Nothing feels better than this. I think it is even reversing the carpel tunnel in my fingers.

IMG_20180131_184105.jpg

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
I was thinking about getting a fume extractor, since i did A LOT of soldering the last days/weeks... Then I found this old fans and quickly put one together.. seems to work pretty nice & quite @ 5V - will test it today :)

DSCF6148.JPG