Late night modding

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by cheese, Oct 7, 2017.

1. cheese the tallest memer in town Staff Member . . .

Got something you stayed up late one night doing, but it doesn't really feel thread-worthy? Post it here!

I'm gonna start it off with the shell swap I just finished on my switch. While I didn't make the shell I put on it, I had to put it on (which took a few hours, since I had to tear down and rebuild both joycons).

IMG_20171007_040412.jpg IMG_20171007_040555.jpg

MikaMaslak, mknrls, Nold and 12 others like this.
  2. Bakuku .

Portables:
    This reminds me of those Classic Gameboy with clear shells. Looks great!

cheese likes this.
  3. jefflongo Broke BitBuilt Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Picked up this AGS-101 GBA SP for $15 off Letgo. As you can see, it was in pretty bad shape. It looked like it had been scratched all over and chewed by a dog at the corner. Got a replacement shell off of ebay and installed that today. Looks brand new now!

504ab0603a48e469147c4b6a4034b654.png ca581bfae39215dfeab970b9892d73ab.png 20171008_125046.jpg 20171008_125052.jpg

Leftovrs, JoJo, BocuD and 6 others like this.
  4. DeoNaught .

Portables:
    sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
    I finished this a while back(Around June for my sister's birthday), but the A button was detecting it being pushed always.
    So I got to fixing that Saturday night.

IMG_3279.JPG
    (I used an smd resistor, no speakers sadly, but she seems fine with it, because she usually uses earphones)

lyberty5, fibbef and cheese like this.
  5. fibbef Wizardry V Completer .

Portables:
    This is a little off-topic as it's not electronic in nature plus I made this a couple of years ago, but since it's Thanksgiving (for the non-US, you can play along), I thought I'd share it.

For a few years now I've been making homemade egg noodles for Thanksgiving and Christmas family feasts. I quickly discovered how tedious it was to slice up the dough into individual noodles using a pizza cutter. There had to be a faster way.

[​IMG]

What's better than one pizza slicer? 7 pizza slicers! Planning my finished product, I also picked up some nylon spacers, some steel rod, and plain metal washers.

[​IMG]

Pizza cutters broken apart. I only need one good handle. The rest were destroyed in the disassembly.

[​IMG]

Assembly was easy, but how would I hold the row of cutters together on the ends?

[​IMG]

My first idea was to pound the ends with a hammer to widen the ends so the slicers couldn't slide off. That was a mistake; the rod bent out of shape which would make for some very inconsistent noodles.

[​IMG]

Plan B: cut a groove into the rod and snap on an e-clip. Took a couple tries to get the correct diameter.

[​IMG]

The e-clips do their job well! In hindsight, I should have used a narrower spacer for the middle blades since there's a larger gap between those two, but the noodles are just going to get eaten and I don't think anyone is paying that close attention to a bowl of noodles.

[​IMG]

Finished project. Works very well and saves me a TON of time being able to slice 6 noodles at a time instead of one.

6. cheese the tallest memer in town Staff Member . . .

That's actually pretty neat! Also, it doesn't have to be electronic, just something you made that you'd think we'll find neat or interesting

7. JoJo .

No single sentence has described my life better than this...

My fiancee wanted to be a gender bent Rick Sanchez for this past Halloween, so I spent the time to make an Inter-dimensional Portal Gun for her. I modeled the files use to print this from scratch in Fusion 360, and used some 12 v led strip sections I had laying around. The big bulb and caps on the front were printed in "Glow In The Dark" green for a nice glowy effect when the LEDs were off.
    ^C671B6633D090D01D10DD6C4F3A5B058EBD514D6578ADA72AA^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    The readout display is actually only a picture printed on regular paper with red LEDs bhind it. Close enough.
    ^BF5DA944C037E35147D7B74D9C92E8EA4B619932E14199F183^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    This turned out really well, even though I only worked on it at 1-3 AM each morning :P
    PICKLE RIIIICCCKK!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2017
    Matthew, Noah, DeoNaught and 5 others like this.
  8. fibbef Wizardry V Completer .

Portables:
    Well alright. In that case, I have another.

Made this child-sized picnic table in the summer of 2016 after I saw a similar one at my parents' house.

[​IMG]
    Buncha lumber.
    [​IMG]
    Pieced together the tabletop.
    [​IMG]
    Added legs.
    [​IMG]
    Made sum benches. At this point I made a total bonehead mistake; the table legs were too wide at the bottom to fit through the opening between the benches. I had to take off one of the benches to put it all together.
    [​IMG]
    Bonehead mistake rectified. Finished product is about 2 feet tall, which is perfect for kids ages 3-5.

Matthew, Noah, JoJo and 6 others like this.
  9. ShockSlayer Ivan - the tyranny of evil men . .

Portables:
    All
    actually posting project shit on bitbuilt HOLY FUCK

Alright, so, my McMagnifying glass that I've had since the dawn of BitBuilt exploded. Avoid anything that has a primary clamp made of plastic. But it's just a base, so I one-way disassembled it, and used some pipe parts to construct additional pylons.

The result is a mostly functional substitute that will suffice until replacement arrives via manlove:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The operating principal is that there's a large metal stripper pole that I drilldo'd a lot of holes in, and then a :NUT: and bolt goes through that, to keep the PVC T pipe from sliding down, but it can still rotate/move up/down. Then there's a pipe comin' out of that, that can be moved, but it's perfect as is. Fortunately for me, the leftover assembly had a key shaped rod coming off of it, so it can go into the pipe sideways, twist, and then it won't come out.

This'll be good enough for now, and I drilled enough holes so that once the nice memes arrive, I can just move this up out of the way, and/or plug in a different something to it. Probably a camera for modding streams.

Additional memes in the picture:
    2x pig
    1x test with with many ???? boards connected to it
    1x thicc solder roll
    1x steaming mug of q-tips

nobble, Matthew, Nold and 3 others like this.
  10. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    I got tired of never having space on my desk, so I built another desk. But I still needed somewhere to sleep, so I put a bed on it. Cost me $350 Dollarydoos and 3 near full days work. Now I can FINALLY use my 3D printer, after I organise all my shit of course.
    20171230_191949.jpg

11. JoJo .

Dude that is shweet! I am a big fan of bunk beds and am honestly jealous. Congrats on the new workspace my dude.

12. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    I added an inline factory exhaust system to protect myself from the cancer. 555 cubic metres of get-the-fuck-out suction power! This is slowly turning into a drug lab setup....
    20180113_203919.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  13. DeoNaught .

Portables:
    sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
    I Re(ish) housed my 3ds xl, I replaced the motherboard aswell, Because the cart slot had paper jammed in it >.>(Thanks Sibling!), I replaced the motherboard because I had one laying around. I replaced pink with black, and replaced the white buttons, and so on.

IMG_7907.JPG IMG_3460.JPG

BocuD, Madmorda, Shank and 2 others like this.
  14. nobble .

Portables:
    9000+
  15. fibbef Wizardry V Completer .

Portables:
    Had this Game Gear that I bought off a friend about two years ago. It's been sitting around dying for a capacitor overhaul. Figured I might as well do an LED backlight mod while I'm at it. The cap job I did shortly after getting the Gear and I was able to confirm it worked, but I didn't have any white LEDs, so the backlight mod was put on hold until I felt motivate, which I guess ended up being today.

[​IMG]

Used a plain drinking straw to diffuse the light from the LEDs a bit.

[​IMG]

The light shield/mirror in place. I used a tiny amount of hot glue to keep the straw held in place. If it ever got lopsided behind the screen, I'm guaranteed to develop an eye twitch.

[​IMG]

Looking (somewhat) good! I can't exactly say that the image is crystal clear but that's limited by the technology of the screen itself. Only way to make it better would be to composite-mod the GG and drop in a replacement screen.

Wistarata, nobble, DeoNaught and 5 others like this.
  16. Pacal .

Portables:
    RDP 64
    Here is my new (used) GBA with a new screen a couple rechargeable batteries and a charger,two of the batteries didn't work even though were new so i had to opened them and replace them with 2 batteries from the wii controller they are the same exactly size so it was easy to do it
    IMG_0707[1].JPG
    IMG_0722[1].JPG IMG_0721[1].JPG

nobble, DeoNaught, cheese and 2 others like this.
  17. Kyosho .

Portables:
    Stupid quick'n'dirty transplant.

DeoNaught and nobble like this.
  18. nobble .

Portables:
    9000+
    Cool mods lately up there!

Last night I decided to use orange squishy tacts to mod my mouse L and R clicks into mouse squishes. Nothing feels better than this. I think it is even reversing the carpel tunnel in my fingers.

IMG_20180131_184105.jpg

GC64, DeoNaught, cheese and 1 other person like this.
  19. cheese the tallest memer in town Staff Member . . .

F A N C Y

nobble likes this.
  20. Nold C L U B C L A M S H E L L Staff Member . .

Portables:
    4 + 1*π
    I was thinking about getting a fume extractor, since i did A LOT of soldering the last days/weeks... Then I found this old fans and quickly put one together.. seems to work pretty nice & quite @ 5V - will test it today :)

DSCF6148.JPG

BocuD, cheese, Pacal and 3 others like this.