Discussion Laser Cut ZN-40 Case Interest thread

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Im doing a run of Laser Cut ZN Cases!
Its summer, so most the architecture majors have gone home, meaning the university laser is much less busy! This means I should be able to set up jigs and cut some cases! While I personally am not a fan of the ZN cases, I have received MANY requests for a laser cut ZN case, so Im finally caving an offering to do a batch. This run of cases will be all the same, so I can hit cut, swap out the case, and repeat. This will also allow me to pick ones that came out the best, and not send any lemons. I will be reusing the assets for the PiiWii pocket, so all of the gamecube buttons will be a perfect fit for the case.

I want your feedback on the case design!
The case design is a work in progress, and will be "crowd sourced". I welcome any feedback, but I will have the final say on design. Holes will be cut on the face, but not the top or bottom plates. Every person will want a different port and shoulder button placement. These are mostly round holes, and can easily be cut with a drill.

Pricing info
The expected price of the case will be $30-$40. The cases from PolyCase are $10, but shipping is expensive, and I want to cover my ass for duds. Because the polycases are made from thick ABS plastic, laser cutting requires several passes (about 35 in this case) and sometimes cases come out as duds. I want to be able to purchase and cut more cases than people order, so I can ensure everybody gets a quality case. I am expecting to make much, if any, money on this.

Design Issues and "Danger Zone"
A laser can only cut along a flat surface where the laser can focus. The curved edges, noted on by the area between the purple lines, cannot be effectively cut by a laser, and would need to be hand cut. This area will be referred to as the danger zone.

Decisions:
-5" 640*480 screen with moved or hand cut buttons OR 4" 320*240 with regular button layout
-Joysticks or 3DS sliders?
-Cooling vent holes on the back?
-What speakers, and what size speaker grills?

Here are 2 mockups to show how things fit with 2 screen sizes. The buttons are just thrown on for size reference, but have not been placed in an ergonomic way yet.

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 3.31.18 AM.png

Here is the 5" 640*480 screen. This is a larger screen with 4x the resolution of the 4 inch. The problem here is that the X button rests in the danger zone, and will need to be cut out by hand. Another solution would be to do the unpopular inverted x layout with the x button between the B and Y button.

AG4inch.png

Here is the 4" screen. It is a smaller, less nice screen, but leaves room for the standard gamecube button layout on the flat face.

Anyway, Im early along on the project, but would love to see who is interested and suggestions!

I would be super interested if u could make one with a 7" screen. Because that is the screen that i have available.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I would be super interested if u could make one with a 7" screen. Because that is the screen that i have available.
A 7 inch screen would not have room for any controls.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I like the layout with the 5" screen. It might be better to rotate the ABXY button bit instead of hand cutting it, especially because the B button is particularly close to the display...

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I like the layout with the 5" screen. It might be better to rotate the ABXY button bit instead of hand cutting it
Clever. Yea by moving the b button to a new location, I could keep the X and Y in the same locations and rotations relative to the A button. A sketch is below.
especially because the B button is particularly close to the display...
Thats one of the great parts of using a laser: you can get away with things that close. Keep in mind the red line is the actual hole, while the grey line is frame of the screen, assuming its the largest dimension allowd by the tolerances on the screen's data sheet.

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 11.24.02 PM.png

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Thats one of the great parts of using a laser: you can get away with things that close. Keep in mind the red line is the actual hole, while the grey line is frame of the screen, assuming its the largest dimension allowed by the tolerances on the screen's data sheet.
Yeah, I know, but I still like to err on the side of caution :P Also, where are the screw posts on the ZN, for reference?
That layout looks dope though, I may actually want one if I can afford it... Gotta finish my current portable first though, need to get out of the habit of not finishing what I start .-.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Yeah, I know, but I still like to err on the side of caution :P Also, where are the screw posts on the ZN, for reference?
That layout looks dope though, I may actually want one if I can afford it... Gotta finish my current portable first though, need to get out of the habit of not finishing what I start .-.
The screw posts are past the purple lines so these cuts shouldn't be an issue.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Just finished up a long chat and a custom custom design for @jefflongo. I probably will not be doing any more custom one-off designs. It is built around fitting many of the parts he has already purchased and wired up in his worklog. While it hurts me deep down knowing that my work will be used for a gamecube portable, I know its what's best for his project given how far along it is. He's put a lot of work into it, and I know its going to be a great first portable.

I am posting this design, with his permission, for inspirational purposes. If this design proves popular, I can cut more than 1 of them. I can also reuse assets from it for the final community chosen design.
Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 10.48.20 PM.png

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Just finished up a long chat and a custom custom design for @jefflongo. I probably will not be doing any more custom one-off designs. It is built around fitting many of the parts he has already purchased and wired up in his worklog. While it hurts me deep down knowing that my work will be used for a gamecube portable, I know its what's best for his project given how far along it is. He's put a lot of work into it, and I know its going to be a great first portable.

I am posting this design, with his permission, for inspirational purposes. If this design proves popular, I can cut more than 1 of them. I can also reuse assets from it for the final community chosen design.View attachment 2819
triggered.png

If I order from you, can I spray paint it after? Or would you spray paint it?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
If I order from you, can I spray paint it after? Or would you spray paint it?
This is a laser cut service. Painting is not being offered

When will the service shutdown? Because later I will buy one.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Thanks lol

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Just finished up @jefflongo's cut.
20170606_144424.jpg

Again I ask, is anyone other than @Noah interested in having a case cut?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Well we aren't getting much of a community design since there isn't much interest, so it would be pretty much whatever layout you want.