Question Laptop build keeps overheating

Matt d

image.jpg
hey guys I have a 6 layer ( hottest wii) board I put in an old iBook, bent the heat sinks so it will fit, stock fan included but not directly pulling off heatsink.

Anyways, Wii stays on for 10 minutes or so.. then shuts down, no power lights to board. Unplug it and reboot it boots fine.

Any ideas?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Would you take a picture of it with the cooling system set up how it is normally?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Yeah, that's definitely not enough cooling. I'd recommend using a larger heatsink, and probably using a blower fan with an intake and exhaust to better cool it. The Wii relies more on its massive heatsink than its fan to cool itself, so if you make the heatsink smaller you need to up the Fan's power

ruumoo

The heatsink is conpleatly squashed. There is a reason it has fins, so air can move through it. Also wayyyyy to much thermal paste

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
The heatsink is conpleatly squashed. There is a reason it has fins, so air can move through it. Also wayyyyy to much thermal paste
Agreed. Don't follow Nintendo's bad example of putting giant globs of thermal paste. If you use the stock Wii heat sink I think you don't have a choice since it doesn't sit flush against the CPU (I think, that's how the GameCube's is anyway, haven't messed with a Wii in awhile), but if you are using a different heat sink you shouldn't have that problem.

You can also add an intake fan as well to bring in cool air.