Just getting started what basic tools will I need

I've been reading a lot of guides and browsing around. Stumbled onto downings website where he had a video of a list of tools you'll need to get started. But that videos been deleted. Just looking to at least gather what I'll need to get started while I keep reading and then decide on my first project.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Depending on what you decide to do, you might need to get a rotary tool, but you will definitely need a soldering iron, you could make the cheap ones work but if this is something you want to really get into, then I would suggest getting a better quality one. You will also need solder, screwdrivers, a Nintendo game bit, and wire.

There is basically a lot of things you need, so it's better if you decide what project you are going to do first, then work backwards on what you need to accomplish it.

Welcome to the community!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Don't skimp on the soldering iron. I tried getting by using Radio Shack irons for years but always did more damage than good. Upgraded to literally the cheapest Hakko iron and it is hands down worth a million RS irons. Got it 2 or 3 birthdays ago and I'm still using the original tip.

I'll second getting a rotary tool. So many practical uses for it. (Example to follow.)

Nintendo uses 2 sizes of security screws. The small one is used in Gameboy games and isn't as necessary for modding. The larger one holds SNES and N64 (and maybe GC/Wii but I can't remember) cases together. I never picked up the larger gamebit. Instead, I cut a notch into the end of a flathead screwdriver with my rotary tool. That leaves me with two prongs that can easily grip the sides of the security screws.

If you ever want to open up a Nintendo handheld then a tri-wing screwdriver is a godsend.

Well I guess a soldering iron should be the first thing on my list. I already have a nintendo game but so that's one thing off the list lol. Any recommendations on soldering irons I can check out?

And thanks for the welcome I can't wait to get started

The hakko fx888d is a pretty good affordable choice. Watch out for counterfeits though!

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I second Noah and Chaos. That's the exact setup I use, and that tip is amazing. I agree with the dremel too, and I seriously recommend getting a good one. Bad ones can cause injury, break, last five minutes of battery, or just not get the job done.

I'm assuming you're building a portable, because you don't really need many tools for cosmetic mods. So to add to the list, I'd say a hacksaw, hot glue gun, screwdrivers, wire strippers, super tiny solder, all sizes of wire, sandpaper, a drill with all sorts of bits, and it is usually nice to have broken electronics laying around for parts.

Oh and some way to sort out parts like screws. I have a little compartment bin that I temporarily keep screws, parts etc in, and then a box of sandwich bags for keeping things sorted in more long term.

Hey guys, I'm just jumping on this portable wagon and working on getting together some decent tools as well. Would you all still recommend the weller iron that was mentioned by Chaos in this thread? I've got a cheap iron already, but would like to upgrade to a slightly better one soon.

What the best place to get wire from, and what gauge's of wire will I need? My main goal at this point is to make a portable Wii, but I'm sure I'll be messing around with some other things in the future.

The Weller is great! I got one a few months ago and have loved it. For wire, you should get some 22 for the heavier power lines, then some 28 or 30 for smaller power lines and then some 34 magnet wire for data lines. :) this is what I have and it has all worked great.