Solved Joycon Analog Sticks Not Working on Gamecube Controller

Like the title says, I'm trying to use Joycon analog sticks on a 3rd party Gamecube controller. Here is my wiring to the analog stick.
jstick wire.jpg

And here is the breakout board layout.
pcb123.PNG

These are the connectors that I have and am using. https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/molex/5051100592/WM12361CT-ND/5726211
Im assuming that I can use these on a 3rd party controller and I don't need to use a GC+, but I couldn't find much information about it. I've also checked and I do have continuity between the pins on the connector and the pads on the PCB, so I think the connector is soldered properly.

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Like the title says, I'm trying to use Joycon analog sticks on a 3rd party Gamecube controller. Here is my wiring to the analog stick.

And here is the breakout board layout.

These are the connectors that I have and am using. https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/molex/5051100592/WM12361CT-ND/5726211
Im assuming that I can use these on a 3rd party controller and I don't need to use a GC+, but I couldn't find much information about it. I've also checked and I do have continuity between the pins on the connector and the pads on the PCB, so I think the connector is soldered properly.
I believe your pinout is wired flipped. So Hor axis should be where 3.3v is and so forth.

Joycon sticks dont have the same range as a normal joystick. It might work, however the range will be significantly limited and it will have centering and dead zone issues. Using a GC+ will account for that in the homebrew app.

I believe your pinout is wired flipped. So Hor axis should be where 3.3v is and so forth.

Joycon sticks dont have the same range as a normal joystick. It might work, however the range will be significantly limited and it will have centering and dead zone issues. Using a GC+ will account for that in the homebrew app.
So flipping my wiring like you suggested seems to have fixed it, now the "sensitivity" if you want to call it that is slow, but I have the parts for a GC+ coming soon so that should fix that issue.
Thanks!

Not sure I should be creating a new thread if I have a new issue, but I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot my GC+. Here are some photos.
IMG_20191101_180710.jpg
IMG_20191101_180719.jpg
I assembled it myself and as far as I can tell, everything looks fine. When I hook it up to the Wii, it acts as if the left trigger is being held and that the "y" button is being held. The other issue that I can see is that with a stick wired up to the sx and sy pads if I move it up or down it registers that the C stick is being moved as well.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
You need to have both sticks wired up for sticks to work properly. I'd double check your resistors on Y and the left trigger to see if they aren't making good contact, if they aren't properly in place then they'll act like they're being held down.

Also you're missing the filtering cap in the middle, you'll want that on there for stability.

You need to have both sticks wired up for sticks to work properly. I'd double check your resistors on Y and the left trigger to see if they aren't making good contact, if they aren't properly in place then they'll act like they're being held down.

Also you're missing the filtering cap in the middle, you'll want that on there for stability.
So I ended up getting it to work, I removed and re-soldered everything on the board, and soldered the resistors all facing the same direction. I guess some of my solder joints were bad, or something was shorting that wasn't supposed to be.
Thanks for the help!