Worklog Jeff's Wii Micro

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I'm happy that I've finished my portable, but I'm not a huge fan of taking it to smash tournaments. For this reason I've decided to make a Wii micro (inspired by @Gman ). This build will have the following features
  • Trimmed Wii motherboard (retaining the USB and AV out port on the board)
  • Powered by micro USB
  • GC ports (duh)
  • No bluetooth (who plays Wii games anyway?)
  • 3D printed enclosure
and that's pretty much it. The goal of this build is to create a quality product with minimal effort for the lowest price possible. Start to finish this should only be $75 for everything. Here's what I've got so far:

JPEG_20180217_214918.jpg
Trimmed board with U10 relocated

20180219_102052.jpg
The forbidden Gman level wiring

Noah

retired
Portables
Nice! Shoot me a PM here or on Discord, I actually designed a Smash themed Wii micro myself a while back, I'd love to go over design ideas. Also I have an extra PowerMii Lite if you want a cleaner install.

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
I'm actually working on something like this as a side-project, too :D
Sadly my trimmed Wii's don't want to participate in this project <.< ...

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
ayy my stack of wiis would love to participate. If only they were 4 layers ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm happy that I've finished my portable, but I'm not a huge fan of taking it to smash tournaments. For this reason I've decided to make a Wii micro (inspired by @Gman ). This build will have the following features
  • Trimmed Wii motherboard (retaining the USB and AV out port on the board)
  • Powered by micro USB
  • GC ports (duh)
  • No bluetooth (who plays Wii games anyway?)
  • 3D printed enclosure
and that's pretty much it. The goal of this build is to create a quality product with minimal effort for the lowest price possible. Start to finish this should only be $75 for everything. Here's what I've got so far:

View attachment 5177
Trimmed board with U10 relocated

View attachment 5178
The forbidden Gman level wiring
I'm brand-new to this. I've been reading as much as I can before attempting my first trim. I like the idea of leaving the USB and video connectors on the board. Is the wiring any different from doing the full trim?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I'm brand-new to this. I've been reading as much as I can before attempting my first trim. I like the idea of leaving the USB and video connectors on the board. Is the wiring any different from doing the full trim?
It's no different. Though I wouldn't really recommend it for a portable because then you are constrained where your motherboard, cooling setup, USB ports, and AV out has to be in the case. For this build it doesn't matter so much because I'm not adding other peripherals. But if you want to do it like this you can just leave them on the board when you trim. I guess the only thing I can think of is that you will definitely need to power the preamp or remove the preamp and connected the audio in to audio out lines to get audio since the board is no longer powered by 12v.

It's no different. Though I wouldn't really recommend it for a portable because then you are constrained where your motherboard, cooling setup, USB ports, and AV out has to be in the case. For this build it doesn't matter so much because I'm not adding other peripherals. But if you want to do it like this you can just leave them on the board when you trim. I guess the only thing I can think of is that you will definitely need to power the preamp or remove the preamp and connected the audio in to audio out lines to get audio since the board is no longer powered by 12v.
Wow! That was a fast reply!
My goal isn't to have a battery-powered portable with controls, screen etc. I'm thinking of making a much smaller version of a standard Wii with most of the ports and bluetooth intact, powered by 5v (to eliminate the huge wallwort) and integrate leds into the case instead of a separate sensor bar.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Wow! That was a fast reply!
My goal isn't to have a battery-powered portable with controls, screen etc. I'm thinking of making a much smaller version of a standard Wii with most of the ports and bluetooth intact, powered by 5v (to eliminate the huge wallwort) and integrate leds into the case instead of a separate sensor bar.
Definitely make a worklog so you can get feedback and advice on your design. Best of luck!

Definitely make a worklog so you can get feedback and advice on your design. Best of luck!
Now that I read your post in detail, it looks like I'll have basically what you and Gman call a "Micro". I'm guessing the wiring will be slightly different than the standard cut. I also noticed that you guys build a sub-board that contains the regulators. Any pointers would be appreciated before I butcher this thing! ;-)

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Now that I read your post in detail, it looks like I'll have basically what you and Gman call a "Micro". I'm guessing the wiring will be slightly different than the standard cut. I also noticed that you guys build a sub-board that contains the regulators. Any pointers would be appreciated before I butcher this thing! ;-)
I suggest you ask questions in a worklog of your own that way you can get responses tailored to you. There's also info about regulators in the guide section.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Micro USB ports have arrived. The 5V line is at 4.65V when booted and powered by 10W AC adapter, hopefully this is fine. All that is left is the getting a better power switch, the case, and the cooling. I'm currently working on modelling the components in the case. Hoping to start test printing this weekend.

20180228_000112.jpg mZyCl4W.png

Last edited:
I snagged a cooling fan from an old laptop for my build. Obviously, I can't keep doing that for the future! Is your cooling system and off-the-shelf product? Voltage requirement?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I snagged a cooling fan from an old laptop for my build. Obviously, I can't keep doing that for the future! Is your cooling system and off-the-shelf product? Voltage requirement?
I'm using a 35x35x7mm 5v fan which pulls air from the top of the case and pushes it through a 35x35x7mm heatsink. There is a 70x35mm copper plate on top of them with thermal paste in between.