It Bothers Mii A Wii Bit

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
It may not seem like a big deal to many honestly, but this in something that bothers me quite a bit.

Throughout most GameCube Portable project posts. I am constantly seeing at least one post in nearly all of these threads that states how it would be easier to build a Wii portable instead.

I see this in several different communities I am a part of, and it's not just here on BB.

It bothers me because people are actively coming to our communities with the plans and hopes of building specifically what they want, in these cases GameCube Portables, and we have people who are honestly slashing those ideas by calling it out in favour of the Wii.

I understand how great the Wii is, and how much simpler it can be in many regards, but if someone wants to still do something with a DD or use original peripherals such as the GB Player and BB Adapter, they can't do this with a Wii, specifically if they are using PM, as it doesn't support a DD.

As it is, portables of consoles prior to the Wii are becoming fewer than usual in recent times and by deferring people to the Wii, we are stifling what could be, with more of what already is.

When was the last time you saw a SegaCd Portable, or even an actual Super Nintendo Portable?

Small bit of venting, and I apologize for it, but it does vex me so

Last edited:

Luke

Portables
Understandable frustrations, @Acronell. I felt kind of the same way when the wiikey fusion came out and everyone was using that instead of the gamecube dd, and then whenever someone wanted to use the dd, the first post in the thread would be to use the wiikey fusion instead (c'mon guys, let's let him use the dd and see what happens?). Feels kind of like a similar situation. Here's the way I see it.

A lot of people that come here don't actually know just how good the Wii is, or how much better a system it is to portablize. You've probably seen the list of pros / cons that Shank and others have made, I'm sure, so I don't need to convince you. New people haven't necessarily seen that list, and have no clue. They only want to build a gamecube portable because it's close to their heart, maybe it was their first console, etc. They wouldn't actually want to do it to include the GB Player or BB Adapter in a portable, they're just not informed.

If I was new to the scene and based on nothing else I had decided to portablize a gamecube, I would WANT the more knowledgeable members to point out the wii to me - and honestly, would feel kind of let down if they didn't. And it's not like they mistreat the new members anyway. The thread will receive a friendly note that the wii is a much more viable and feature-rich option, and it is left at that and is at that point up to the member to make the decision. And as far as I can tell, no member has ever been put off by the suggestion - most do end up becoming quickly convinced and thanking the others for the information.

Hope this helps quell your rage :D

EDIT: Oh, and maybe to respond do this:
As it is, portables of consoles prior to the Wii are becoming fewer than usual in recent times and by deferring people to the Wii, we are stifling what could be, with more of what already is.

When was the last time you saw a SegaCd Portable, or even an actual Super Nintendo Portable?
I think a lot of the reason we don't see NES or SNES portables anymore is that they have actually been cloned into portables and mass-marketed. You don't quite get the same feeling of accomplishment if factories are making them and other handheld emulators that can easily play the same games. Also, the raspberry pi is something I believe to be quite the viable portable; why do an SNES portable when you can do a raspberry pi portable, and have it emulate all kinds of similar-tier systems, as well as be able to watch movies, browse the internet, etc. You're right that the wii has sort of cast a shadow on gamecubes, but for good reason. It is superior with many features, not the least of which is that it also can play gamecube games. Like I said above, I believe that if the gamecube has some sentimental value to you, that is a legit enough reason to portablize it, but that's pretty much it.

All that being said, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND CREME-FILLED, why did you people stop making N64 portables?!?!?!?!?!?!?
There's my rage vent :)

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables
A lot of people that come here don't actually know just how good the Wii is, or how much better a system it is to portablize.
That's the major issue here. Most people who come to this site have visited ModRetro and other sites that are similar to this one and have seen GameCube portables such as Ashen's, Gman's, and ShockSlayer's. The issue is that ModRetro has 0 decent Wii documentation aside from the stuff that Shank and others began to post there before BitBuilt was opened (in private I might add because we didn't launch publicly until March.) and even that has "COME SEE THE UPDATED VERSION ON BITBUILT" across the top in the biggest font available.

Most people aren't informed enough and think that the GameCube is still the best console. The Wii is super cheap and way easier for most people to portablize. I don't know about you guys but when I see people trying and failing to solder up a WASP it's a little disappointing because they just want to make a cool portable but they don't have the technical know-how just yet. The Wii is miles better than the GameCube. It's small, cheaper, runs cooler, plays more games and I could keep going on.

No one is going to stop someone from making a GC portable if they know what they are doing and are set on doing so. There are still valid reasons to make a GC portable and if people want to make one then there is no problem with that whatsoever.

I personally don't have a problem with people saying "switch to Wii" because in the end the modder will have saved money and have a console that is much more capable. It's like going to buy a car. Wouldn't you want the salesman to tell you which one will get better mileage before you buy one?

All that being said, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND CREME-FILLED, why did you people stop making N64 portables?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Well you know what they say, it's always calm before the storm.
there's a hint ayy lmao

Luke

Portables
Well you know what they say, it's always calm before the storm.
there's a hint ayy lmao
N64 board redesign CONFIRMED

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
In my opinion, I think the Wii is just an exciting part of what is going on right now with the community. With the new OMEGA trim that was just announced, you can have a N64, GC, and Wii all in the size of a Pokemon game. I think that the Wii hasn't necessarily cast a shadow on the gamecube but rather the GC was a stepping stone. The GC was an amazing system and if people want to continue to make it, then we welcome it!

A lot of the more experienced modders have been at this for a long time and they know from personal experience that the Wii will give people the most bang for their buck and is much easier. This community has always been about sharing knowledge and experience. I personally believe that most people who come on here with the idea of making a GCp have no idea on the progress and the capabilities of the Wii.

When I first started out, I saw a ton (now outdated) posts saying that there are 'easy' console to portablize (like the NES or the SNES) and there are more difficult ones (N64, GC PS2, Dreamcast, etc) and then there are the super difficult to near impossible ones (Wii,Xbox, PS3). Plus let's be honest here as far as game selection goes, the Wii falls pretty short (though there are just a few amazing games) compared to the Gamecube, so I think most people who want to make a GCp come without realizing that they can get that and much more with the Wii and that it does lie directly within their skill range. I always shied away from the Wii in the beginning because I thought that it would be way more difficult then the N64, almost impossible with my lack of knowledge and experience. I think to most people the GC lies right in the middle of these. (not too difficult but not super 'easy' either)

I don't think there is anything wrong with informing people of this and besides in the end, it's up to the modder. It's not like we can reach through the computer and control them and have them do what we think. If they want to make GCp then they can do it, but I think it would be wrong as a community to not let them know how awesome the Wii is!

Portables
3/4
All good points... I was one that came from ModRetro to BitBuilt and from my prospective, and what all I had read, the GameCube was the way to go. They had a ton of documentation of the GC on the older sites compared to the little section devoted to the Wii. Once I found BitBuilt, (a beautiful day indeed!!) that's when I learned that the Wii had more documentation and tended to be an easier and better system to portablize all around. Personally I'm glad that I was informed of this when I posted the WorkLog for my GCp, it just gave me something to research and reach for after/during the time that I would be working on my GCp. As long as people weren't cramming it down my throat or telling me I'm stupid for NOT doing a Wii portable, (which doesn't happen here that I've seen but not sure about other sites) I'm cool with it.

I even got a couple of the questions Luke mentioned on my GCp of why I wasn't using a DD replacement and, other than the fact that they're hard to find, there's just something about the having the original system that still plays physical media that I love. Wiikey and WASP always felt like emulation to me... even though it's not technically emulating anything but a disc drive. This won't keep me from making a GCp with a WiiKey/WASP Fusion, it just gives me another goal/project to reach for down the road. :)

I still have plans to build at least a couple of portable GC's with the 8 mobos I have laying around, (both with and without DD's and a GB player in there somewhere) at least one N64 out of the 4 motbos I have, a PSX, & a PS2. If nothing else it will be a challenge and a hell of a lot of fun, and the challenge is one of my main driving factors and what makes it so much fun!! :D

I have to agree with Luke on the NES, SNES and Sega Gen consoles. They have been cloned and are being sold so cheaply by every retro and non retro game shop in town that it kinda takes all the fun out of it to me.

I have one of these on my to do list and can't wait to get started on it!! I have all the parts and when my mom asked what I wanted for Christmas I told her an N64, lol!! Not to tear apart mind you, (I keep all my original consoles clean and in working order) but so I can use it as a reference if I get stuck since all I have to work with are motherboards & parts for an N64 at this point. :)

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
everyone else is being civil and has said most of the reasons I'd say

gamecube portables are retarded and anyone who makes them should die

hope this clears things up

- BitBuilt Admin

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I can only speak for myself, but I am one of the people who found modretro and thought gamecubes were the cutting edge of portablizing. I had no idea that portable wiis could be anything other than bulky laptops where you still had to navigate everything with the wiimote. If I had had any idea how far wiis had come, I would've definitely built one instead of my gcp. Unfortunately, I didn't find bitbuilt or realize modretro was outdated until AFTER I had finished my gamecube portable. Looking back, I really wish someone had told me or that I had done better research on portablizing in general before starting.

Don't get me wrong, I love my gcp, but I would never have made it if I'd had all the facts. I didn't want the gameboy player or anything unique to the gc, I just wanted to be able to play paper mario and the thousand year door in the car on road trips.

So while I do completely understand where you're coming from, as I have mad love for the gamecube and it IS my favorite console to date, I am personally glad that people mention wiips to people planning to build gcps just in case they are new to the scene or haven't looked at all the options.

Throughout most GameCube Portable project posts. I am constantly seeing at least one post in nearly all of these threads that states how it would be easier to build a Wii portable instead.
@me, but I said he could make a GameCube portable if he wanted too

Portables
3/4

- BitBuilt Admin
ROTFLMFAO!! :XD::XD:

Crystal bro, crystal...

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
everyone come to MGC 2018

if we bring enough pizza to aurelio, we can probably get him to make the gb player work on the Wii

Acronell

Aquafam
I see why we love the Wii, and I literally own 3 at the moment, one Stock original, a Soft-Mod Family Wii, and a PM Original Wii, but being able to actually play my physical games is something that I love.

As it is, I only want a WiiKey/Wasp/WODE to literally run a single piece of homebrew, to run the Gameboy Player in my GC Laptop project, without needing to disc swap just to use it.

@me, but I said he could make a GameCube portable if he wanted too
I wasn't specifically pointing at anyone particularly, it's literally been happening all over the communities I'm a part of, as well as here.

I have no disrespect for anyone here about their work, it just always bugs me to see.

everyone come to MGC 2018

if we bring enough pizza to aurelio, we can probably get him to make the gb player work on the Wii
If the namesake of my possible son can do this, I'll personally deliver it to him at his booth, at least a dozen pizzas.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I'm kind of in the same boat as you @Acronell. Ever since joining the modding community I've seen plenty of people pushing others to "do this, don't do that". It's not so bad when the seasoned pro lays out the pros and cons to the builder, but comes across pretty harsh when they just say, "do this instead".

I'm as stubborn as the next guy so I know I don't like being told what to do (I may just make me a GCp, thank you very much) but I've also been known to do a little helpful persuasion of my own. I mean, the PSone screen's driver board is HUGE. Why are people still using them?

As for retro consoles, I wouldn't mind portablizing a clone as long as it plays my cartridges. I can (and probably will) make a RetroPie portable someday, but I also want to make handhelds out of the remains of my busted Retron 3.

IMO it all comes down to what people have available and what they want to do. But as others have stated, sometimes it's good to know when there are better alternatives, since it seems a lot of people would probably assume the Wii is much harder to mod.

Acronell

Aquafam
I'm kind of in the same boat as you @Acronell. Ever since joining the modding community I've seen plenty of people pushing others to "do this, don't do that". It's not so bad when the seasoned pro lays out the pros and cons to the builder, but comes across pretty harsh when they just say, "do this instead".

I'm as stubborn as the next guy so I know I don't like being told what to do (I may just make me a GCp, thank you very much) but I've also been known to do a little helpful persuasion of my own. I mean, the PSone screen's driver board is HUGE. Why are people still using them?d.
I understand about the PSOne Screens, they have become outdated, and the quality is now subpar compared to other screens available for most projects.

Do it, build a GameCube To Go!

As for retro consoles, I wouldn't mind portablizing a clone as long as it plays my cartridges. I can (and probably will) make a RetroPie portable someday, but I also want to make handhelds out of the remains of my busted Retron 3.
It's funny that you bring up the Retron 3, seeing as that was the first clone system I saw, and wanted Portable, Gameboy Style, with recessing cart slots.

I have a RetroBit Retro (NES Clone) that I want to Portable in the relative future, simply to play my copies of Tetris, Time Lord, and Xevious.

IMO it all comes down to what people have available and what they want to do. But as others have stated, sometimes it's good to know when there are better alternatives, since it seems a lot of people would probably assume the Wii is much harder to mod.
This is why I have plans to make both a GameCube Laptop, and a WiiProGo. Use the Wii Disc Drive in the GameCube Laptop (no need to buy another since I can use the one from the Wii)

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
It's not so bad when the seasoned pro lays out the pros and cons to the builder
At some point I'm planning to do a bitbuilt.net article about the differences, 'cause there's a few things about the GC that nobody talks about, and I've probably been around the GC portablizing scene longer than anyone else here. It's mostly to give people a solid reference point for both consoles, so that they can make their own choice, but also be aware of what may be a better option for them, regardless of what that may be.

Acronell

Aquafam
At some point I'm planning to do a bitbuilt.net article about the differences, 'cause there's a few things about the GC that nobody talks about, and I've probably been around the GC portablizing scene longer than anyone else here. It's mostly to give people a solid reference point for both consoles, so that they can make their own choice, but also be aware of what may be a better option for them, regardless of what that may be.
I'm not sure how I missed this post...

Such an article would be a blessing in itself, and I would love to see such.

- BitBuilt Admin
I don't think this is the message to spread xD

Luke

Portables
I'm not sure how I missed this post...
Such an article would be a blessing in itself, and I would love to see such.
Yes, I would very much like to see this article as well. Since many people here (and SS too I had thought) seem to think gc portables are pretty pointless.
Psh, redesigns are for squares
I want to quote this in the PPR thread so bad >:)

Acronell

Aquafam
Yes, I would very much like to see this article as well. Since many people here (and SS too I had thought) seem to think gc portables are pretty pointless.
Slayer is a complex troll of wisdom and experience. Sometimes the trolling is too close to being indiscernible.

I want to quote this in the PPR thread so bad >:)