Question Issues With Joysticks

Bozer

I'm just about done with this Louii but the only thing holding me back is that I don't know what is wrong with my right joystick's connection. There is continuity with all of the pins to the GC+ besides maybe the center pin, but that one is unused anyways. I don't know that it's relevant but the left stick Y inputs are also giving right stick X inputs for whatever reason. Is it possible that I was to aggressive with the right ribbon cable and severed the line while putting it in? and if so could I possibly solder directly to the ribbon cable instead of buying new sticks?

1685683807356.png

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If the X line was severed it shouldn't be moving at all. It sounds more like the X line is shorted to the Y line, which from the looks of that photo is probably the culprit. That ribbon cable looks quite poorly seated, and the FFC connector itself looks like you melted part of it with your soldering iron?

Bozer

Yeah. Melted part away because I thought I damaged the pins and severed the connection lower down, so I made sure there was still continuity higher up the connector and there is. It doesn't look like there is a short between SY and CX as there is no continuity between the two but maybe I'm wrong. Here is a video showing exactly what's going on. I also properly shoved those connectors in cause I didn't realize that they could go in that far lol, but it didn't fix anything.

Last edited:

Bozer

At this point I think I aught to buy a new joystick cause I have no guess as to why they all have continuity but there in no input, so I figure its the ribbon cable. Also as you can see in the video, the SY inputs are now either on or off, no in between so that's strange

Bozer

should I try soldering directly to the ribbon cable before I buy a new one?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
OH

My bad I misread. The left stick is influencing the right stick. Normally I'd say "well the pads for SY and CX are right next to each other on the GC+, that's obviously a short", but if you have no continuity between the contacts then I'm not sure. Run and jiggle a razor blade between the pads to clear any possible transient wisps, and then perhaps give it some isopropyl alcohol and a brush for good measure. If it still happens, swapping the sticks might be in order.

And no, if you're using OEM sticks you can't solder to the ribbon cable. Nintendo used carbon traces in the joycon sticks, and you can only solder to copper

Bozer

Alright, I did that and now only my downwards SY inputs are influencing the CX for whatever reason, but I think ill go ahead and buy some new sticks. An annoying delay as im so close to finishing but at least I know its really my only option. Thanks