Solved Issues charging my N64 Portable + LED screen displaying static

Portables
Gotcha, also on these PCB diagrams is BM/BM1 the same as B1?
BM in a 2s cell setup will stand for battery middle, how I remember it anyways, this is how the balancing will take place. B+ will be the positive side of the 2s and B- will be the negative side of the 2s setup to get your 7.4v.

Portables

Senor Avocado

2022 2nd Place Winner
I would recommend you also using shielded cable for the video line, I noticed a significant difference in static for my portable when it was shielded. It looks like you have really long unshielded wire for video that is going near lot of power components that can introduce noise and stuff

I would recommend you also using shielded cable for the video line, I noticed a significant difference in static for my portable when it was shielded. It looks like you have really long unshielded wire for video that is going near lot of power components that can introduce noise and stuff
Do you have links for any brands of shielded cable that you recommend? For the Video I'm using 30AWG sized wire.

Senor Avocado

2022 2nd Place Winner
I normally use the shielded wire that is for the WiFi antenna on the wii, but since you are doing n64 modding I don’t know if you have access to that. If you have some spare usb/headphone/charging cables lying around you might be able to repurpose that as they often have shielding. They could be bulky though

*Update

So I ended up switching to a new PCB:

1. The results were that the screen did come back clearer, but there is still some noticeable static on the screen even when the system is at full charge. I re-wired the connections of the LED screen to the system motherboard and yet still no result on obtaining a perfectly clear screen.

2. A positive is that the batteries did begin charging again, and at a higher level since the switch though.
But, upon charging I noticed that only 1 cell was being used (as low as 4.03v) while the other remained at full charge (4.10v). Maybe that has something to do with the screen being still showing noticeable static?

Does anyone have an other suggestion as for what I should do to obtain a completely clear screen?

Could the size of the wires be the issue?

*Update

I read some other forums and they said that it's best to use 18 AWG wire for the voltage portion of the portable and 28 AWG for the cart relocation portion. I will make those changes in my wires and will see what happens.

Last edited:
*Update 8/4

- I replaced all the voltage based wires with 18 AWG wire and still no effect the LED screen shows a lot of static. I have literally replaced everything within the portable with newer versions and still no difference.

I replaced the (8) batteries, PCB, Regulator, PSOne LED screen, Power Button, N64 motherboard, & wires connected to voltage with thicker 18 AWG wires.

When I checked the batteries for their current charge level, I noticed that (1) always remains at 4.10v (Full Power) and the other cell in being drained. That must be a red flag correct? If so, how would you solve this issue? I already replaced the wires for thicker 18 AWG wire thinking that maybe previous 24 AWG wire was the reason why but that's not the case.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Are you charging the batteries with your charger hooked up to b1? You should be using P+/P- as the charging input and power output pads. The only thing that should be hooked up to any of the B+/B1/B- pads should be batteries.

Also, have you put shielded wire? If not, you can take two strands of 30awg and twist them together tightly