Question Is my wii overheating?

I'm still testing out my wii. I relocated bluetooth (and it works) and i put cooling on top of it (cooling kit from the bitbuilt store). I didn't secure the cooling at all, although i did use thermal paste that i used with my pc, then applied the metal sheet (I did take the plastic film off before anyone asks). The fan and heatsink is not completely square or even with the metal sheet; they rotated diagonally.

Anyway, with successful booting into the wii menu, my wii worked, and then the tv suddenly cut to a no display screen, but the pms was still on, because the fan was still spinning. The Wii remote was still on too. Am I overheating it? The gpu and cpu felt hot when i felt it. I know absolutely nothing about thermodynamics, fyi.

Attachments

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
If I'm being honest, all of that wiring / solder joints look super shotty, I'd give it a once over to make sure that none of the connections broke off. Make sure you have your iron dialed in to a good temp and that you're using plenty of flux.

Yeah, I'm planning on redoing everything anyway (God I need stranded wire). If I turn it off and on again, it starts to work again, but for a small varying amount of time.

So you think it may just be the crappy wiring/shorting that's causing the problem, and it's less likely to be the overheating?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
As long as the sink/fan have some thermal compound connecting them to the copper plate, overheating shouldn't be possible. I'd wager it's the solid core wire, a PMS fault, or the cell you're using.

Although we could provide more insight if we had closeups of both sides of the Wii itself (with the cooling plate off)

As long as the sink/fan have some thermal compound connecting them to the copper plate, overheating shouldn't be possible. I'd wager it's the solid core wire, a PMS fault, or the cell you're using.

Although we could provide more insight if we had closeups of both sides of the Wii itself (with the cooling plate off)
Welp, that's a problem because there is no thermal paste between the fan/heatsink and plate. I'll go apply that. I'll update with pictures in a bit.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah, gotta have a thermal interface between the bits of metal or the heat doesn't transfer. I use thermal epoxy to perma-bond the cooling assembly together.