Discussion Inside an AliExpress Wii Portable

Shank

Staff member
Portables
In Taki Uden's latest video, he showcased a portable from AliExpress. I was surprised to see he tore down the console to show the internals. Being sold as a "commercial" product makes the internals particularly interesting, so I thought I would share them here.
Screenshot_20210630-121047_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210630-120920_YouTube.jpg

Here is a link to his original video from which these photos came from.

Last edited:
Would have been smart of the company to put the two 18650s on the opposite side of the heatsink for more even weight distribution... or just add another since there is plenty of room lol

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Untrimmed, 3S1P arrangement with stock regs, goop city, glob top GC+, no li-ion protection, RVLoader with illegally provided ROMs.......... quality chinesium there.

At least it's a YPbPr compatible screen.

It's definately not great... but for one of the few commercial available portable wiis, it's not THAT bad. They DEFINATLY should have trimmed the motherboard, but it's one of the only options for a wii portable that's not custom made.

Ethan

there is also not battery level indications or cell balance/ protection, pretty dangerous and chances are the individual cells are not the protected kind

there is also not battery level indications or cell balance/ protection, pretty dangerous and chances are the individual cells are not the protected kind
Yeah that's true... it may run into hardware errors. Probably not the most reliable thing out there

Benge

Portables
4 : O-Wii (V1,V2,V2.1)/ BS2
I don't understand how people can sell these things without BMS for batteries :angry:
I only see the lack of research and optimization :/

The big screen was an interesting point of the design

if it at least would be cheap enough to justify buying it and then improving upon it, but at 500 bucks you might as well start from 0 than improving this miniature fire hazard i guess...

Nodel

In Taki Uden's latest video, he showcased a portable from AliExpress. I was surprised to see he tore down the console to show the internals. Being sold as a "commercial" product makes the internals particularly interesting, so I thought I would share them here.
View attachment 17871
View attachment 17872

Here is a link to his original video from which these photos came from.
I mean I can understand why they didn't trim it. An untrimmed board cost way less to manufacture. But for size, and battery power they should have trimmed

cy

Portables
What disappoints me more than anything else is how Taki just kinda endorsed it. If he doesn't know what he's looking at on the inside, then why bother opening it? If he makes any more videos like this, I hope he starts sending internal pictures to someone like Shank or Gman before he makes a video on it.

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
while it’s no portapackit portable fire starter this is certainly not good. leaving out one of the most crucial components for safety is not the best idea for a commercial product

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
yeah i was kinda referring to the general cleanliness compared to portapackit’s but i’m willing to bet this will spontaneously combust

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I'd like to follow up and give credit where credit is due. It appears the manufacturer have tweaked the design, and made improvements. I see what appears to be a lithium protection PCB, and what appears to be custom regulators. The AV port is no longer a separate piece that is glued in place. I also see 4 batteries instead of 3, but I cannot tell if it is a series or parallel configuration... possibly 2s2p? The previous 3s-with-stock-regulators was unable to fully utilize the full battery capacity due to the cutoff threshold of the stock regs. No idea what the audio amp

U09f4b55dd9354bdf9bdc55a02252d81bG (1).png

Portables
Does anyone know where I can find the stl files for this?? :rothink:

But yeah that thing is quite the beast with plenty of empty space. The way the battery covers are attached makes me feel weird, not that they are planning on anyone taking one apart but something feels weird about how they're only attached on one side. And I agree with @Shank the way the batteries are wired is wild.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
So I've been overhauling my PS2 portable recently and I've just got to know: What is that screen! Frankly I'd love a 4:3 solution with a smaller driver board than the Eyoyo 8" :D