Discussion Ideas, questions, etc, Post em here!

I am interested in trying to build a g-wii and am looking into assembling the necessary parts, so far I have an RVK-CPU-01 donor Wii, a donor gamecube controller for the thumbsticks and buttons + membranes, the 5" VGA display, GC+ PCB and cooling kit from the BB store and I have just ordered some parts from 4 layer tech including PMS-PD 2, RVL-PMS-2 and U-Amp 2. While looking at the assembled viewer in autodesk, I realized I don't have any PCB for the controller itself. Can anyone offer any tips about how to properly configure the controller and also if there are any other components I am missing (other than batteries) to pull off a successful g-wii build? Also, would you say the gamecube memory card slot is an easy inclusion or am I better off cutting it out?

Edit: I should mention this is my first portable

Also can anyone point me to the livestream of the g-wii assembly that was done? I found the video once but I seem to be having trouble finding it again.

I am interested in trying to build a g-wii and am looking into assembling the necessary parts, so far I have an RVK-CPU-01 donor Wii, a donor gamecube controller for the thumbsticks and buttons + membranes, the 5" VGA display, GC+ PCB and cooling kit from the BB store and I have just ordered some parts from 4 layer tech including PMS-PD 2, RVL-PMS-2 and U-Amp 2. While looking at the assembled viewer in autodesk, I realized I don't have any PCB for the controller itself. Can anyone offer any tips about how to properly configure the controller and also if there are any other components I am missing (other than batteries) to pull off a successful g-wii build? Also, would you say the gamecube memory card slot is an easy inclusion or am I better off cutting it out?

Also can anyone point me to the livestream of the g-wii assembly that was done? I found the video once but I seem to be having trouble finding it again.
I think Noah did a livestream of that a while back... but maybe Noah or someone on the BitBuilt team took down those videos. I can't find those either.
My recommendation would be to join discord for a faster response to questions. And just look through this thread here for the G-Wii Build (also a lot of other good threads with parts recommended for the build). A lot of good information from G-Man and other members have the parts needed for the build on that thread. Good luck on the build! I am hoping to one day make one as well. For now I will be creeping the pages...

Edit: Also I have seen others recommend just following the Manuals to help with the main wiring (major hurtles and such).

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables

The GC+2 from 4layertech is a controller replacement board with some extra functions. As for the mem card slot, it wouldn't be too hard to do physically, some fiddly wiring would be required and you'd have to modify the case a bit, but it's probably doable. RVLoader was recently updated to allow disabling of virtual memory cards, so it should work I think

I think Noah did a livestream of that a while back... but maybe Noah or someone on the BitBuilt team took down those videos. I can't find those either.
My recommendation would be to join discord for a faster response to questions. And just look through this thread here for the G-Wii Build (also a lot of other good threads with parts recommended for the build). A lot of good information from G-Man and other members have the parts needed for the build on that thread. Good luck on the build! I am hoping to one day make one as well. For now I will be creeping the pages...

Edit: Also I have seen others recommend just following the Manuals to help with the main wiring (major hurtles and such).
Thanks for the helpful advice, I’ve read through this thread and I’m starting to read through the g-wii threads. I’m still not exactly clear on how the controls will communicate with the wii, somehow the signal will need to get from the sticks/buttons/etc to the GC+. From looking at the G-Boy manuals it seems like custom PCBs handle that job. I’m assuming it’s covered in the threads you linked, though, so I probably should have a read through those carefully. Thanks again.

The GC+2 from 4layertech is a controller replacement board with some extra functions. As for the mem card slot, it wouldn't be too hard to do physically, some fiddly wiring would be required and you'd have to modify the case a bit, but it's probably doable. RVLoader was recently updated to allow disabling of virtual memory cards, so it should work I think
So the main hurdle to the memory card unit would be soldering in a jack to it then? Also I suppose I am unsure about how to wire up the GC+ from the actual controls. I’ll join the discord and have a closer look at the linked threads. Thanks for the advice.

Hey everyone!

So I had a question & was wondering (hoping) some of you geniuses would be willing to toss me your 2¢?

So a while back I got this from inside gadgets:
Screenshot_20210713-201301.png

Wireless Gameboy Controller (For PC/RPi, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, NES/SNES Classic Mini) – insideGadgets Shop

I use it on my RetroPie station & am able to use my DMG as a wireless controller. The only bummer is I can't use it for any system that has more than the A & B buttons.

Is there a way to modify the DMG front board to add additional buttons to it? I'd love to have a DMG decked out with all the buttons of a GBZ whilst keeping the (majority of the) original guts intact.

Maybe with something like this?
1627318692651.png

common ground dmg button pcb (A/B/X/Y version) | kitsch-bent

Thanks for reading this far! I'm rather n00bish, so any lil bit of info helps!

lord_of_misrule

Hi! I am trying to build my first handheld. I have two fully functional wiis (will get more as required), gonna get the GC+, U-amp, RVL-PMS-2, PMS-PD-2 soon. I . I have read and reread the trimming guide multiple times, watched the dual tact mod vid, read the batteries guide (based on what I understand, I don't need anything other than the RVL-PMS-2 for battery protection but correct me if I am wrong) and watched countless build videos at 0.25 speed. I am absolutely new to console modding, but I have made one DIY smart mirror before, with a touch screen I implemented myself (made up a lidar kinda setup with a bunch of laser LEDs and photoresistors and a huuuge number of multiplexers), and I also have a couple degrees in physics. So I am comfortable with what all is happening but I am by no means any kind of expert on electronics and how all of these complex circuitry works.

So with my background out of the way, I have a few of questions. First of all, I want to have it function as a handheld but also have some form of external video output.
  1. So my first question is, VGA splitters like this one at a glance look like all they are doing is running two wires from every pin. Is that correct?
  2. If yes can I do the same thing for my handheld (run two shielded wires from every display output pin, one to the handheld display and one to a VGA port)?
  3. And if that is possible, is there a way to install a switch that will switch the display (I am thinking of a simple transistor not gate on the ground lines of the two displays, but there probably are much better ways).
  4. Another thing I might want to do if possible is convert the VGA to HDMI. I saw the custom display management board that @JaksonS made and I don't have even close to enough knowledge for something like that. So I was wondering if there is something that exists to do just that. I understand HDMI is digital and also has audio output. So if I do this then I would also need a way to switch the audio output from the u-amp to the HDMI (I would like to also switch audio output even if I don't have HDMI but from what I understand, since VGA is only video output, I would have to separately connect the speakers to my console to switch the audio at all, which U-amp would do for me).
  5. Also, if I do have the option of having two displays, how would that change my battery choice?
  6. My last technicalish question is pretty simple. How do I select a good screen for my handheld? I have seen people post links to the ones they used but looking on eBay I am having a hard time identifying what is good. For example, Is this any good - Ebay link? Does not have any information about the kind of resolution or the display input type or the screen size.
  7. On a side note, what kind of PPI is usually good for these handhelds? Around 300?
  8. Finally, I tried joining the discord server, but I am already logged in to the forum with my discord and it is not letting me do anything and I can only see the enter-here channel, which is not very useful since my discord is already linked. Weird.
I hate that I am posting a text wall like this but thanks for entertaining me. I have been researching this a lot. I have all the necessary tools I think (Dremel, temp controlled solder and hot air gun, magnifier stand, wires of all AWGs I saw were relevant along with some AWG magnetic and shielded wires, tons of resistors, capacitors, transistors, and switches left over from my mirror project). I am not sure if my skills are good enough for this (probably not, hence the two wiis), and I really want to try making this even though I am a complete noob.

Any help is appreciated. If y'all point me to more materials I should be reading or watching before attempting this, I will do that as well.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hi! I am trying to build my first handheld. I have two fully functional wiis (will get more as required), gonna get the GC+, U-amp, RVL-PMS-2, PMS-PD-2 soon. I . I have read and reread the trimming guide multiple times, watched the dual tact mod vid, read the batteries guide (based on what I understand, I don't need anything other than the RVL-PMS-2 for battery protection but correct me if I am wrong) and watched countless build videos at 0.25 speed. I am absolutely new to console modding, but I have made one DIY smart mirror before, with a touch screen I implemented myself (made up a lidar kinda setup with a bunch of laser LEDs and photoresistors and a huuuge number of multiplexers), and I also have a couple degrees in physics. So I am comfortable with what all is happening but I am by no means any kind of expert on electronics and how all of these complex circuitry works.

So with my background out of the way, I have a few of questions. First of all, I want to have it function as a handheld but also have some form of external video output.
  1. So my first question is, VGA splitters like this one at a glance look like all they are doing is running two wires from every pin. Is that correct?
  2. If yes can I do the same thing for my handheld (run two shielded wires from every display output pin, one to the handheld display and one to a VGA port)?
  3. And if that is possible, is there a way to install a switch that will switch the display (I am thinking of a simple transistor not gate on the ground lines of the two displays, but there probably are much better ways).
  4. Another thing I might want to do if possible is convert the VGA to HDMI. I saw the custom display management board that @JaksonS made and I don't have even close to enough knowledge for something like that. So I was wondering if there is something that exists to do just that. I understand HDMI is digital and also has audio output. So if I do this then I would also need a way to switch the audio output from the u-amp to the HDMI (I would like to also switch audio output even if I don't have HDMI but from what I understand, since VGA is only video output, I would have to separately connect the speakers to my console to switch the audio at all, which U-amp would do for me).
  5. Also, if I do have the option of having two displays, how would that change my battery choice?
  6. My last technicalish question is pretty simple. How do I select a good screen for my handheld? I have seen people post links to the ones they used but looking on eBay I am having a hard time identifying what is good. For example, Is this any good - Ebay link? Does not have any information about the kind of resolution or the display input type or the screen size.
  7. On a side note, what kind of PPI is usually good for these handhelds? Around 300?
  8. Finally, I tried joining the discord server, but I am already logged in to the forum with my discord and it is not letting me do anything and I can only see the enter-here channel, which is not very useful since my discord is already linked. Weird.
I hate that I am posting a text wall like this but thanks for entertaining me. I have been researching this a lot. I have all the necessary tools I think (Dremel, temp controlled solder and hot air gun, magnifier stand, wires of all AWGs I saw were relevant along with some AWG magnetic and shielded wires, tons of resistors, capacitors, transistors, and switches left over from my mirror project). I am not sure if my skills are good enough for this (probably not, hence the two wiis), and I really want to try making this even though I am a complete noob.

Any help is appreciated. If y'all point me to more materials I should be reading or watching before attempting this, I will do that as well.

Thank you!
1/2/3: I dunno if those cables are just forked cables with no filtering, but Electron Shepherd sells these handy dandy little VGA switch boards for exactly this purpose.
4: You can use the U-Amp and the Wii's stock analog audio traces at the same time, with something like this compact VGA to HDMI active converter. It works with the VGA switch I linked above as well.
5: Doesn't really affect the battery life much, but you'd get a smidge more runtime if you include a recessed tact switch to shut the internal screen off when outputting to an external screen.
6: Pretty much any 5 inch 16:9 screen with composite and VGA input will run forced 480p games perfectly fine. If you're looking for a 4:3 screen, the now defunct BitBuilt store used to sell a couple of good ones. I don't know where they sourced them from, but I've used this model before in older builds and it worked very well. We can't really use replacement LCD panels designed for specific devices. They all have their own specific pinouts and would require a custom PCB solution for each individual panel, so we use screens with standard inputs. The exception there being the RVL Direct Drive, which is currently not available due to part shortages.
7: I dunno, but the 3.5" 640x480 screen is heckin' crisp!
8: The bot that manages the forum/discord link can take a day or so to assign your forum user role. If it takes longer than that, you can message CrashBash or Cheese and they can sort it out for you.

Oh, and welcome!

1/2/3: I dunno if those cables are just forked cables with no filtering, but Electron Shepherd sells these handy dandy little VGA switch boards for exactly this purpose.
4: You can use the U-Amp and the Wii's stock analog audio traces at the same time, with something like this compact VGA to HDMI active converter. It works with the VGA switch I linked above as well.
5: Doesn't really affect the battery life much, but you'd get a smidge more runtime if you include a recessed tact switch to shut the internal screen off when outputting to an external screen.
6: Pretty much any 5 inch 16:9 screen with composite and VGA input will run forced 480p games perfectly fine. If you're looking for a 4:3 screen, the now defunct BitBuilt store used to sell a couple of good ones. I don't know where they sourced them from, but I've used this model before in older builds and it worked very well. We can't really use replacement LCD panels designed for specific devices. They all have their own specific pinouts and would require a custom PCB solution for each individual panel, so we use screens with standard inputs. The exception there being the RVL Direct Drive, which is currently not available due to part shortages.
7: I dunno, but the 3.5" 640x480 screen is heckin' crisp!
8: The bot that manages the forum/discord link can take a day or so to assign your forum user role. If it takes longer than that, you can message CrashBash or Cheese and they can sort it out for you.

Oh, and welcome!
Thank you so much! The VGA switch boards and the VGA to HDMI converter were exactly what I had been looking for for ages. Google didn't show up with anything so I had to think of stuff myself like the forked cables (only thing I could find for VGA to HDMI was to buy something like this: amazon Canada link and I was gonna open this thing up and try to figure out stuff by looking at the silkscreen). Thank you so much! Thanks for the other suggestions as well. Side note: has there been any news about whether or not the RVL direct drive will be available on the 4layer store? Also, I did get a role assigned, didn't know about the one-day thing but thanks!

Sorry about the noob questions and text wall. Thanks!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thank you so much! The VGA switch boards and the VGA to HDMI converter were exactly what I had been looking for for ages. Google didn't show up with anything so I had to think of stuff myself like the forked cables (only thing I could find for VGA to HDMI was to buy something like this: amazon Canada link and I was gonna open this thing up and try to figure out stuff by looking at the silkscreen). Thank you so much! Thanks for the other suggestions as well. Side note: has there been any news about whether or not the RVL direct drive will be available on the 4layer store? Also, I did get a role assigned, didn't know about the one-day thing but thanks!

Sorry about the noob questions and text wall. Thanks!
No news as of yet. Aurelio is working on several things atm, he said he'll make an announcement when they're available again. That probably won't be for several months, maybe longer depending on the silicon drought and how other projects go.

No news as of yet. Aurelio is working on several things atm, he said he'll make an announcement when they're available again. That probably won't be for several months, maybe longer depending on the silicon drought and how other projects go.
Oh I see, thanks for letting me know

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hello I was woundering if anyone could provide a pinout diagram for the LCD screen on bitbuilds site it's 5" and I'm trying to wire it to my trimmed Wii but all it says is no sync?
The pinout is printed on the back side of the board. IIRC the H sync and V sync pads might be reversed

Got some questions? Maybe got an idea or tutorial to talk about in the beginners forum? Post it here!

Also, suggestions for the introduction thread are welcome!

RULES:
  • Make sure to read through everything BEFORE posting.
  • Don't post just to say someone is stupid. If something is a bad idea, explain why!
ok then

Hey everyone, I'm newer to the modding community and I'm trying to complete a very, taboo, project. I need to rewire all of the buttons from a Nintendo Switch joy con and connect them to buttons from the Wii U Gamepad. The ABXY, home, + -, screenshot, and arrow buttons are giving me trouble since they aren't just solder points or traces like in other handhelds (most of my experience comes from modding the Gameboy). Could I just rewire the buttons from the test points, or do I need to somehow remove the button attached to the motherboard on the joy cons?

Got some questions? Maybe got an idea or tutorial to talk about in the beginners forum? Post it here!

Also, suggestions for the introduction thread are welcome!

RULES:
  • Make sure to read through everything BEFORE posting.
  • Don't post just to say someone is stupid. If something is a bad idea, explain why!
There should be a thread on touchscreen Wii handhelds. I haven’t seen much on them, and would like to learn and hear more.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
There should be a thread on touchscreen Wii handhelds. I haven’t seen much on them, and would like to learn and hear more.
Only 2 or 3 people have successfully done that, and they had to create a custom bluetooth module emulation solution from scratch. I think JacksonS may have shared some info of his solution once upon a time, but I can't remember where.

Hey, I have a question about the GC+2.0 that I can't find an answer to anywhere. What is the default trigger setting, analog or dual tact? Or something else?

Typro

Hey fellow tech nerds sorry for the long message

I saw someone with a frickin NES GUITAR and I wanted my own twist to it but I don't know if it would all be possible lol
Theirs had a guitar pick holder in the game cartridge area and you could make it sound different and hook it up to an amp or use it as a normal or electric guitar.
Mine would be a lot more advanced and I doubt it would all work but I'm curious if you guys would have any idea what parts of it could work.
I want to somehow make it be able to do everything it can already do but make it also be able to control an electric guitar and do other musical things. This will probably end up being far from a normal guitar shape and a bit less comfy but a lot cooler haha. I'm posting this here because the hard part will probably largely be setting up all the stuff with the console and making it work rather than setting up the electric guitar part. I have a list of things I wanted as possibilities to put on this guitar.

Things I want:

Wii u base
Wii u gamepad for touchscreen controls
Gamepad joysticks with reverb and modulation settings etc
Make the game slot eject guitar picks
Play games on it still
Play rock band with a real guitar with it
Be able to connect it to a tv wirelessly Connect to amps wirelessly
Maybe a GameCube can be turned into an amp and/or use the GameCube for guitar picks instead
Custom themes on the guitar for design
A customized case for all of it
Put my old drum pad midi on maybe and be able to use it to make percussion beats
Be able to set presets of instruments
Be able to record and play recorded songs
Record all inputs separately
Have a large battery and a portable charger with a long cord in case it runs out
Probably need a raspberry pi for some stuff
Headphone capabilities
Bluetooth capabilities for multiple Bluetooth devices
Led arcade buttons for led standalone games like Simon or to use for Rock Band or other games
Have a mic for singing and stuff
Be able to turn on and off certain audio inputs while recording and after recording
Be able to import the music as mp3 and midi files onto a computer for editing

If some of these things are possible I would like to know what and how I could use them.
Thanks, guys!

Gex

Hey fellow tech nerds sorry for the long message

I saw someone with a frickin NES GUITAR and I wanted my own twist to it but I don't know if it would all be possible lol
Theirs had a guitar pick holder in the game cartridge area and you could make it sound different and hook it up to an amp or use it as a normal or electric guitar.
Mine would be a lot more advanced and I doubt it would all work but I'm curious if you guys would have any idea what parts of it could work.
I want to somehow make it be able to do everything it can already do but make it also be able to control an electric guitar and do other musical things. This will probably end up being far from a normal guitar shape and a bit less comfy but a lot cooler haha. I'm posting this here because the hard part will probably largely be setting up all the stuff with the console and making it work rather than setting up the electric guitar part. I have a list of things I wanted as possibilities to put on this guitar.

Things I want:

Wii u base
Wii u gamepad for touchscreen controls
Gamepad joysticks with reverb and modulation settings etc
Make the game slot eject guitar picks
Play games on it still
Play rock band with a real guitar with it
Be able to connect it to a tv wirelessly Connect to amps wirelessly
Maybe a GameCube can be turned into an amp and/or use the GameCube for guitar picks instead
Custom themes on the guitar for design
A customized case for all of it
Put my old drum pad midi on maybe and be able to use it to make percussion beats
Be able to set presets of instruments
Be able to record and play recorded songs
Record all inputs separately
Have a large battery and a portable charger with a long cord in case it runs out
Probably need a raspberry pi for some stuff
Headphone capabilities
Bluetooth capabilities for multiple Bluetooth devices
Led arcade buttons for led standalone games like Simon or to use for Rock Band or other games
Have a mic for singing and stuff
Be able to turn on and off certain audio inputs while recording and after recording
Be able to import the music as mp3 and midi files onto a computer for editing

If some of these things are possible I would like to know what and how I could use them.
Thanks, guys!
Sounds like you could do most of this with software hacking (If it’s the Wii U you’re planning on using), which should be simple, seeing as the Wii U has an SD Slot, and then just cram it all into a guitar xD

Typro

Sounds like you could do most of this with software hacking (If it’s the Wii U you’re planning on using), which should be simple, seeing as the Wii U has an SD Slot, and then just cram it all into a guitar xD
I was thinking the same thing but I didn't know if there were already hacks for all of these things. lol I guess I'll just look at a bunch of homebrew hacks and mods. some parts that require their own hardware though such as the mic, could I just use USB ports and hacks for most of these things?